C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

transgo shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 PM
mikeyboy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transgo shift kit

has any one put in the transgo 2-3 shift kit i want to put it in but i can not find any were what the kit comes with
Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I think the regular shops like summit still sell them, I know they did.

FWIW local shops by me only carry transgo, when I said B&M they said transgo is better, but they do sell them for 3 times the price.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I got mine from ebay. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are so just a word of warning, their kits are not for a rookie. It includes drilling holes in the valve body for one thing but is not that hard if you are handy.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 PM
mikeyboy
Cruising

ya im going to be doing it with my father witch worked on cars and boats for 40 years what does the kit include
Old 01-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Everything needed to do the install including the drill bits. The instructions are a tad confusing because they combine two different valve body styles, be sure and follow the correct instructions for your valve body. It does NOT include a new separator plate and I recommend you get one. The seller I used on ebay, (can't remember the name) had those too so it was all one purchase.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM
NXS
Racer

I just installed one last week, and it was a learning experience to say the least. These 700's are a lot more complex than a th350, and the instructions leave a little to be desired.
I did the stick only in mine and selected the TransGo not only from their reputation but from past experience.

I think the problem with this specific kit lies in that the kit is made for a stock transmission, as the settings are very finicky and any deviation in parts (boost valve, clutch or band etc) changes the settings. The hard thing was getting the 2-3 shift timed correctly with my parts.
The 2nd band has to release in time with the 3-4 clutch applying, get this off by just a hair and you will get flare (too fast) or a bind (too slow). My valve body came off to make fine adjustments, and the band/servo adjustment 2 times (had to drop the exhaust on my car, you may or may not with stock exhaust)

Right now it is awesome, a little harsh on the 1-2 shift b/c I went with the firmest setting (wish I would have gone with the medium of the three hole sizes listed but it will blaze tires on the 1-2),
2-3 is now very comfortable at part throttle and sinks my eyeballs at WOT, the 3-4 shift is instant and absolutely perfect at any throttle setting with zero slipping even at WOT 5000 + rpm 3-4 shift (around 145 mph?).

I did find the kit a little pricey for the amount of instructions listed, and it is not exactly for a novice (when it says professional only on the box, at least with this kit, they are not joking, I am lucky to have a friend that owns a transmission shop).

Overall I'd give a 4 star rating to it
(deductions for price, or at least no separator plate at this price and soso instructions)
Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM
mikeyboy
Cruising

wow this sounds a lil hearder then i figerd
Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

If you haven't had at least a small bit of transmission repair experience then I would strongly suggest you don't try it. I'm no trans whiz but I have rebuilt 2 700R4's and a Turbo 400 and I was still in unfamiliar territory with this kit.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you can go to Transgo's website and down load a video of how to put the shift kit in. I was going to do it but my computer is very very slow. Good Luck Tim

Get notified of new replies

To transgo shift kit

Quick Reply: transgo shift kit