C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

no sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM
BobB.
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no sound

Several months ago I purchased a 95 vette coupe, I checked it out on car check and its in great shape with only 90,000 miles, the only problem is the audio system is not original, someone put in a JVC KD-S5050 system. Up until last week it worked fine then one day when I got out of it I noticed the antenna was only halfway down, one vette magazine said to put some wd-40 on it and it would work fine, I did and the antenna went down then back up and down again then nothing so I pulled the 20 amp antenna relay fuse, when I did that the antenna goes up and down and I get static out of the speakers and thats all. I replaced the fuse with a new one now I'm back to nothing again. As I said the system worked fine up until a couple of days ago. I took the car to the local chevy dealer but they couldn't help. Is the power antenna on the older vettes a standard problem? any sugestions?
Thanks ahead of time
BobB.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Pttrader
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The antenna is prone to problems, mines broke too! Luckily it stays in the up position. Mine has an aftermarket Alpine with no sound on the front speakers. So while I'm repairing the vent to defrost switching issue (Another C4 problem) I shall rip out the console top, then the stereo bezel, and finally investigate the front stereo problem.
I did find a good book 101 Projects for your Corvette 1984- 1996 by Richard Newton. This book explains the antenna repair/replacement procedure and much, much, more. Good luck with your stereo.

Quick Reply: no sound