C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Zf6 drain/fill plug locations

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:32 PM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zf6 drain/fill plug locations

Exactly where are the plugs? I see one underneath the transmission pointing straight down, I guess that's the drain. The only other 17mm plug I see is on the passenger side of the tranny, maybe halfway up.. is that the fill? I guess I don't have to 'fill' the entire trancase, just up to the halfway point/where the plug is?

I don't see anything above that, so I'm just wondering how I'm going to get the oil back in, I guess I'll try to snake a hose into that fill plug and run it up to the engine compartment somehow?

Lastly, if that plug on the side is the fill plug, looks like some jackhole used vice grips on it and squeezed it, so my 17mm wrench isn't fitting in there. Suggestions? Maybe a dremel to clean it up a bit to get my wrench to fit solidly in there again?

Thanks once again...
Old 03-07-2009, 01:38 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, that is the fill plug, commonly butched up because Bubba didn't have the correct tool. Dremel could work, good luck. If not you can always try the vice grips.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:55 PM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations on how to return all 3 quarts of this synchromesh fluid to the Chevy Dealership parts guy without having to look him in the eye?

I'm just really, really glad I didn't take off the drain plug first. Almost had it off, and then said whoa... check the fill first.

Dremel tool can't really get a good angle on that fill plug, I think i'm just making it worse. And my vice grips aren't good enough to get a strong grip.

Guess I need bigger vice grips... and maybe a new fill plug from the dealer when I go to put it back on...
Old 03-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Jagdpanzer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe this will be of help:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/uploads...ngZF6Fluid.pdf
Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pr1mu5
Any recommendations on how to return all 3 quarts of this synchromesh fluid to the Chevy Dealership parts guy without having to look him in the eye?

I'm just really, really glad I didn't take off the drain plug first. Almost had it off, and then said whoa... check the fill first.

Dremel tool can't really get a good angle on that fill plug, I think i'm just making it worse. And my vice grips aren't good enough to get a strong grip.

Guess I need bigger vice grips... and maybe a new fill plug from the dealer when I go to put it back on...
If it wasn't special order it shouldn't be a problem returning the fluid, but you are going to change it once you get the plug out anyway right?
Just hang on to it, the larger vice grips should work, try to find a set with curved jaws. Another way that may work is by striking the plug with a chisel on the edge in the correct direction of rotation for removal, some heat on the case will help if it is really tight.
Definitely a good thing you didn't remove the drain plug first!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:57 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
Thanks for the great link ! I have my new rebuilt blue tag in my garage I plan on changing the fluid even though it only has 3k km on it since the motor blew up. Bill at zfdoc filled it with castrol I'm tempted to go with the gm fluid but I'll probably just stick with Castrol. If Bill trusts it I can't see why I shouldn't !
Old 03-07-2009, 05:12 PM
zzpw3x
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck finding the fill plug replacement. Part number is 10140673. It's made of unobtainium. You may get lucky and find one. Rockauto has it listed but they can't get it.

Dale
Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zzpw3x
Good luck finding the fill plug replacement. Part number is 10140673. It's made of unobtainium. You may get lucky and find one. Rockauto has it listed but they can't get it.

Dale
Might be available here, but not cheap.
http://www.whiteracingproducts.com/i...products_id=52
I would also try e-mailing ZF Doc
BillB@zfdoc.com

Get notified of new replies

To Zf6 drain/fill plug locations

Quick Reply: Zf6 drain/fill plug locations