C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

More Magnaflow Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Chris Kennedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Magnaflow Problems

Hi!

Well, after I finally got Magnaflow's new "California" main catalytic converter for my '89 I thought the quality control problems with the other replacement Magnaflow converters was solved. Not so--they have the inlet tube for the air system on the wrong side of the converter. While I could jury rig something, I decided not to and sent it back and ordered a Random Technologies unit. I'll let you know how the Random Technologies unit works out.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Old 02-17-2009, 11:13 AM
turbopezz
Instructor

Couldnt you just flip the converter and the tube would be on the side you need ?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Chris Kennedy
Instructor

Originally Posted by turbopezz
Couldnt you just flip the converter and the tube would be on the side you need ?

No---the CARB numbers need to be visible to pass inspection, now, and the shielding was different, as I recall (I've already sent it back).

Thanks!
/s/ Chris
Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's what really pisses me off about California's emissions standards. Who gives a flip if it has a CARB E.O. # if it will pass a tailpipe test? IMHO it shouldn't matter how you pass emissions so long as you do it.

The example I like to use is this... Say I come into the shop and I watch some old hoopty pass but it just barely squeaks by and all his parts are original. I come in with a highly modified car and can pass a tailpipe test with flying colors, way less emissions than said hoopty. Yet I fail by default because a few of my parts don't have a CARB number on them???

That makes no sense at all. I'm quite glad that's something I don't have to deal with here in KY.

Get notified of new replies

To More Magnaflow Problems

Quick Reply: More Magnaflow Problems