C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need a new battery, what is the best buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with one of the top of the line autozone batteries. It has a good warranty and like last time I can easily swap it out in the parking lot if I need to. Theres a lot of Autozones around here.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
VETTEHIGH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jon0108
interstate mega-tron. Been around forever
Old 06-17-2009, 12:12 AM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The Grand Sport I recently bought has a Yellow top Optima....Which is best, red or yellow optima? And the differences?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally like the Gold top battery from Autozone. Yes I know what you're thinking but the battery just wont die. Its been in my vette for over 3 years now and has been completely drained, sat for months, and still will start the car after sitting 3 weeks. They come with a 3 yr warranty and arent that expensive.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you run your battery down alot, that could damage your alternator as it isn't designed to recharge a drained battery. The battery that came in my Vette when I bought it kept running down low, and I'd still start it when I could. The alternator ended up needing to be rebuilt soon after I got it. I believe it was due to starting it with a low battery all the time.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 AM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get one from a supplier close to your house. If that supplier has a national chain, even better. You can make warranty claims much easier from a chain.

As noted above, if the car sits for some time, you need a battery management strategy. The Battery Tender or similar device is a must to keep whatever battery you select in good condition. If you select the worlds best battery and let it sit for long periods of time, there will be trouble. Corvettes love to eat alternators used as chargers.

Several great brands out there at a reasonalble price. The real key is what happens after the battery install.

I used Interstate, cause the dealer was about 2 miles from my house. Battery Tender works great. No battery/alterator trouble for 4 years.

Enjoy your car.

dlmeyers
Old 07-16-2009, 05:41 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

I had an Everstart Maxx in my 89 for 6 months. I didn't drive it much, and kept it unplugged when I didn't drive. While I had the battery pulled to clean the engine. I took it to Autozone for a charge and test. It tested bad. I took it back to wally world and got my money back.

I was looking at going with AC Delco but not sure.

AC Delco professional 75 battery with 5 year warranty (18 month free replacement, rest is prorated) has 550 cold cranking amps and is $95.

AC Delco 60 series 75 battery with 60 month warranty (12 month free replacement rest is prorated) has 680 cold cranking amps and is $75.

Kind of hard to decide which one is better. Though, they charge a core charge for some reason. I still don't understand why. I may just look into interstate if one is local or Duralast.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:56 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by jmeyer58
Since there are only 3 or 4 actual manufacturers of batteries but hundreds of different labels on the batts, I just use the WalMart brand battery. They are affordable and made by the same manufacturer that makes the other high dollar batts. If the car sits, use a battery tender jr. to keep it up to snuff. You will extend the life of the battery by one or two years by doing this simple step.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 PM
combustables
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Got excited about optima yellow tops based on a lot of recommendations. I put one in my 86 vert and one in my Bronco. BOTH are CRAP and die very often. If I don't start either car for a week they drain.

Once a yellow top optima dies, it never fuilly re-charges again. This IS from experience and not heresay.

I even looked for threads on how to recharge and dd it slowly at 10 to no avail. 1 week and they're dead.

I would stay away from optima yellow tops. I don't know anything about red top optimas but they can't be that much better.

You can buy a batter mat (ironically yellow) which will keep your battery tray DRY.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:46 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by combustables
Got excited about optima yellow tops based on a lot of recommendations. I put one in my 86 vert and one in my Bronco. BOTH are CRAP and die very often. If I don't start either car for a week they drain.

Once a yellow top optima dies, it never fuilly re-charges again. This IS from experience and not heresay.

I even looked for threads on how to recharge and dd it slowly at 10 to no avail. 1 week and they're dead.

I would stay away from optima yellow tops. I don't know anything about red top optimas but they can't be that much better.

You can buy a batter mat (ironically yellow) which will keep your battery tray DRY.
You're not supposed to use a yellow top. That is a deep cell battery like for a boat. Car battery's are supposed to be kept at or near full charge at all times and kept topped off. Deep cell batterys like to be drained then recharged, not kept topped off all the time like what happens in a car.

Though, with regards to AC Delco batteries, it looks like to me their warranty sucks when you compare it to other similar batterys of the same price. In order to get a good warranty and good cold cranking amps, you're looking at a 7 year (3 year free exchange, the rest is prorated) professional AC Delco for around $150 I think.

So, I don't really see an advantage of getting an AC Delco battery where you can get the same thing for half price. Other than for looks. I'm gonna call up a local Interstate dealer and see what prices and specs they have on the interstate batterys.

I'd like to get AC Delco, but don't want to loose out on the extra cold cranking amps if I went with another brand.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:38 AM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you want to save some money, ask your interstate dealer if he has any "blems". they have slight cosmetic imperfections but are still good batteries with the same warranty.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
combustables
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
You're not supposed to use a yellow top. That is a deep cell battery like for a boat. Car battery's are supposed to be kept at or near full charge at all times and kept topped off. Deep cell batterys like to be drained then recharged, not kept topped off all the time like what happens in a car.
Interesting. I thought the BLUE top optima was for marine use while the yellow tops were for large stereo installations where amps can drain the battery faster than say a stock stereo install. ???
Old 07-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah the blue is their marine battery, I think the red and yellow should be set up for auto use.

I had a red top in my Eclipse before the Vette, and I think it's still running that battery, probably 5 or 6 years later. I like the Optima's but as far as I know the only Optima you can fit in there has top posts and side posts, putting the top posts too close to the ECU support for my taste. Last I checked they didn't list a red top for my '90.

I picked up an Auto Zone Duralast Gold over the winter, the Delco that was in the car when I bought it threw in the towel. I've had good luck with the Auto Zone batteries, they are local and easy to buy/exchange.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:45 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Walmart
Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
Yeah the blue is their marine battery, I think the red and yellow should be set up for auto use.

I had a red top in my Eclipse before the Vette, and I think it's still running that battery, probably 5 or 6 years later. I like the Optima's but as far as I know the only Optima you can fit in there has top posts and side posts, putting the top posts too close to the ECU support for my taste. Last I checked they didn't list a red top for my '90.

I picked up an Auto Zone Duralast Gold over the winter, the Delco that was in the car when I bought it threw in the towel. I've had good luck with the Auto Zone batteries, they are local and easy to buy/exchange.
I've always read the yellow top are deep cycle batterys which are like boat batterys.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:26 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jon0108
if you want to save some money, ask your interstate dealer if he has any "blems". they have slight cosmetic imperfections but are still good batteries with the same warranty.
I stopped by, didn't ask about the "blems" as I've never heard of someone giving you a discount on a battery cause it has some cosmetic imperfections. They were all wrapped up, and I didn't want to look retarded. Kinda like buying a starter and saying, oh I see a mark on it, can I get a discount. Haha.

The Interstate battery was $100 for the 75 series with 2 year free exchance warranty and the rest is pro-rated. It had 650 cold cranking amps.

I really don't see the point in buying an Interstate battery when I can get the same thing at Autozone for $70 for a Duralast. I've read they are both made by the same company, Johnson Controls I believe.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:14 PM
combustables
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
I really don't see the point in buying an Interstate battery when I can get the same thing at Autozone for $70 for a Duralast. I've read they are both made by the same company, Johnson Controls I believe.
Ok. I'm sold, I just logged on to autozone and bought a duralast gold top 75-DLG for 79.99. This thing has a 3 year replacement warranty and an 8 year life span with 875 cold cranking amps. That's pretty darn good.

I elected to have it sent to the store for pickup so I'm pretty sure it won't be new old stock.

Anybody want a dual post optima yellow top free :-) ?
I can't guarantee it will stay charged more than 4-5 days at a time.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a new battery, what is the best buy?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:29 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My interstate "blem" cost $57
Old 07-18-2009, 11:53 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I had a red top Optima, it lasted less then a year. Took it back for a Duralast Gold, no problems 1.5 years later.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:43 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RandyJ75
I had a red top Optima, it lasted less then a year. Took it back for a Duralast Gold, no problems 1.5 years later.
Are yall having any problems with corroson with the Duralast batterys? I'm guessing they are not sealed, like I believe the Ac Delco's are?

I have a 5 year old Duralast gold in my 89 Firebird, it has a black top on it. And I was looking today and noticed all kinds of corrosion where the battery is sitting on. Not too big a deal as it is only worth $1k. But I wouldnt' want to have corrosion happening on the Vette. The battery does look pretty dirty, so I guess it could be leaking from around those two top pull pieces.

Quick Reply: Need a new battery, what is the best buy?