C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Throttle Cable Replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:54 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Throttle Cable Replacement??

Has anyone replaced their throttle cable on a late model LT1? I have to readjust my throttle cable every month or so because it loses WOT. I'm thinking that the cable may be stretched or bad. Anyone else have this problem? Are they known to wear out over time? I found one new for around $100. What's involved in replacing it? Before I buy a new one, Is there anything else that could be causing the problem?

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 05-10-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:38 PM
joecarter85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rick,
although I haven't replaced a throttle cable, you'll have to crack into your ASR unit to replace. My guess would be that this is fairly simple task. Are you talking about replacing the cable from TB to ASR unit ?
Pretty expensive little cable......Dayum....

Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by joecarter85
rick,
although I haven't replaced a throttle cable, you'll have to crack into your ASR unit to replace. My guess would be that this is fairly simple task. Are you talking about replacing the cable from TB to ASR unit ?
Pretty expensive little cable......Dayum....

Yeah it's the one from the ASR to TB I may have to replace. Thanks for the diagram. Anyone have a cable that would continuously have to be readjusted?
The following users liked this post:
941YYG (02-18-2022)
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

The cable I had found wasnt for my year. I just got off the phone with Lokar. They sell custom cables. The one they recommended for LT1's is part number TC-1000TP. Anyone use this on a 95?

I'm not sure if this is the correct picture for that part number but it does not look like the fittings are correct on the end.

"Throttle Cables

All Lokar Throttle Cables are available in either stainless steel braided housing or black housing. They are designed with a specially extruded liner for extended life of the cable – not to be confused with ordinary braided brake hose. Cables are equipped with aluminum fittings and aluminum ferrules to eliminate fraying. “U-Cut-to-Fit” outer housing is available in 24" or 36" lengths with a “U-Cut-to-Fit” stainless inner wire. Clevis is designed without cotter pins or set screws. Adapts to factory and aftermarket pedals. Custom lengths available upon request. Cables mount nicely with Lokar’s Stainless Steel Carburetor Bracket and Return Springs (sold separately). Kits complete with installation instructions.

Scroll down for part number listings.

Call Toll Free 1-877-469-7440 for more information.

Part Numbers
TC-1000HT 24" Stainless Steel Hi-Tech Throttle Cable
TC-1000HT36 36" Stainless Steel Hi-Tech Throttle Cable
TC-1000U 24" Universal Black Throttle Cable
TC-1000U36 36" Universal Black Throttle Cable
TC-1000TP Tuned-Port Stainless Steel Hi-Tech Throttle Cable
TC-1000BLD Blower Drive Stainless Steel Hi-Tech Throttle Cable
TC-1000LS1 LS1 Stainless Steel Hi-Tech Throttle Cable 36" (for Ramjet)

TC-1000EFI EFI Stainless Steel Hi-Tech Throttle Cable ‘94 & ‘95 Ford EFI only*
*For 1986 - 1993 EFI use our TC-1000HT or TC-1000U

TC-1000TPV Vortec Stainless Steel Hi-Tech Throttle Cable 36"
TC-1000MOD Ford MOD 4.6, 5.4 V8 Hi-Tech Throttle Cable"
Old 09-15-2009, 03:31 PM
bubbleheaddiver89
Heel & Toe

Mine actually broke. Luckily, I was able to connect the two broken halves with a pair of vice grip pliers to get home. I let the dealer fix it at the time. Please let us know how the repair goes if you fix it. If it ever happens again, I'd try the repair myself.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:21 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a suggestion
Go to home depot where they sell cable and buy the little conectors to attach two cables together.Cut a small piece out of the cable to take up the slack then crimp the new piece on.It's worth a shot if your gona buy a cable anyway's and should cost less then 5 bucks and should only take 5 min.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 AM
OhioBob
Intermediate

To begin with, I have any '89 rag top. There are two cables that attach to the accelerator linkage. The bottom cable has an excessive amount of slack. Is this a replacement situation or can it be adjusted. Also the engine wants to idle at about 15 to 1900 RPM. Any help here will be appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle Cable Replacement??

Quick Reply: Throttle Cable Replacement??