C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

California Compliant Catilytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 PM
bczee
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Default California Compliant Catilytic Converter

What is everyone using for a California Compliant Catilytic Converter... many of the high flow one are not (even tho the can pass the sniffer test sometimes).

For my 88', Magaflow has #38441 as a direct fit.. anyone use one yet ? any comparison to there high flow ones ?

Just wondering what my options are.

thanks.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:37 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I am in the process of installing a Magnaflow 93441. It has a CARB number and is legal for 88 and older. The 38441 is their newest model. I wasn't able to find any of those available on line. The 93441 cost me $117 from www.performance-curve.com.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:01 PM
0MagnaFlow_Rep
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
What is everyone using for a California Compliant Catilytic Converter... many of the high flow one are not (even tho the can pass the sniffer test sometimes).

For my 88', Magaflow has #38441 as a direct fit.. anyone use one yet ? any comparison to there high flow ones ?

Just wondering what my options are.

thanks.
These are High Flow Cats. Everything we do here at Magnaflow/Car Sound are all High Flow. Our Cats flow about 40% better over stock.

Last edited by MagnaFlow_Rep; 01-13-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM
bczee
Racer

Magaflowrep.. what is the differents between the two..?

93441 and 38441 ? California Legal ?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:56 PM
hgh pwr
Racer

For a 88 you can use almost anyones cat but for the obd2 cars its a different story,I had to buy a factory one for my f-body which cost me $600,gm won't sell you just the cat its the whole assembly with all the pipes that you don't need.So much for saving any money.I hope the law has changed on that but I doubt it. good luck
Old 01-13-2009, 03:01 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any good muffler shop can just cut the original catalytic converter out and weld in a new catalytic converter in it's place so, it looks stock.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Chris Kennedy
Instructor

Magaflowrep.. what is the differents between the two..?

93441 and 38441 ? California Legal ?
Good question! Also, one thing I would like to bring to the rep's attention is that two 93441 converters for my '89 I have had sent to me by Magnaflow have each had the main inlet pipe welded at a slightly off-angle to the main body of the converter (not 90 degrees, as Magnaflow's tech support people have confirmed to me that it should be welded at). This causes the rear flange on the converter to the rear y-pipe to be off a bit, which will throw the alignment of everything from there on back off, too. Anyhow, I am having a third 93441 sent to me by another supplier (also, I asked the Magnaflow people in California to see if they could check one before they sent it to me, and was told the warehouse was automated and that this was not possible). You know, everyone complains about aftermarket parts made in China, but it appears a little more domestic quality control is in order, too.

Regards,
/s/ Chris Kennedy
Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
bczee
Racer

I am aware that I can replace it with almost anything be it direct bolt on or cut/weld.. but I was just researching the whole story.. as I live in California.. and the Smog people are a bit more stricter that the rest of the world ! (lol, only a bit!) I have been dealing with un-passable cars since they implemented new law back in the 70's and I have been breaking them just as long (lol)...
I have done just about everything that you have read before, gutting the cat to make a dummy one, plugging line vacuum line, changing sensors, grinding down impellers in the air pump, building dummy parts and of course, removing the equipement completely.

It is not a race car, but I do Autocross it a few times a year.. and as Magaflowrep has stated, that all of there cat flow 40% or better. So.. if I can be more Compliant to the SMOG law.. without hurting overall performance. I will do the correct thing.. or not...

As many of my friends and family knows. Many of my other cars have not pass the test (sniffer or visual) for one reason or another in the past. So, I know what I can do or not do, but I am just trying to keep informed to the best that I can learn.
So.. if anyone has some good information or question, I'd be interested in any comments that are constructive in this thread.

just waiting to hear from MagaFlowRep on the two different cat question now.

thanks..
Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM
hgh pwr
Racer

Originally Posted by GKK
Any good muffler shop can just cut the original catalytic converter out and weld in a new catalytic converter in it's place so, it looks stock.
Just go ahead and try to get it installed,I could not even get anyone to sell me an aftermarket cat for a 0bd2 car neverless get someone to install it.They are afraid of getting caught and being shut down.

I lived in california for 23 years and know all about getting your car smogged,no offense intended.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:33 PM
bczee
Racer

and most of us knows what it takes to get it passed also.. just remember, its who you know, not what you know...
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hgh pwr
Just go ahead and try to get it installed,I could not even get anyone to sell me an aftermarket cat for a 0bd2 car neverless get someone to install it.They are afraid of getting caught and being shut down.

I lived in california for 23 years and know all about getting your car smogged,no offense intended.
I was born and raised in California and have lived here for over 45 years so, no offense taken. I also, have first hand experience with the emission laws here.

The local muffler shop that replaced my Catalytic Converter also, supplied it. It was a Car-Sound Cat. (although my Vette has OBDI). They just cut out the original and welded in the Car-Sound cat. I just asked them to replace the catalytic converter with a stock replacement since, I failed the emissions test with a Random Tech Cat.

My advise to the OP, is to just go to a good muffler shop and ask them to install an original replacement cat.

The only modification you can do to a California vehicle and still pass the emissions test without issues are: (for the most part) Catback exhaust and Air filter.

Last edited by GKK; 01-13-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:54 PM
buddylee432
Instructor

My catalytic converter was gutted by the previous owner. Is this going to make my ca run better or worse? Is this going to effect the ecm?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 PM
bczee
Racer

The gutted cat shouldn't be too much of a problem, as the O2 and the PCM will monitor and control the mixture ok. You will have a bit of less back pressure.

My son took my 88 for 3 month.. him and his friends gave it back to me with out the cat, replaced it with a 3" tube, and also took the muffler out and replace them with 3" tubing also.. Only have the two pre-cats now... The PCM has handle it ok.. seem I've lost a bit of low end and response. But once you have your foot inito it.. it screams..! no nothing to worry about your cat being gutted (except the smog police).

What is this..23.. 40.... I guess I will call 56 years and been driving for over 40+ of them in Calif.(born and raised in SF).! LOL..

Last edited by bczee; 01-14-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 88 Vette and I live in California. I had 2 1/2" exhaust and a Magnaflow Carsound cat installed. I replaced my precats with Pypes high flow bullet cats. I had Magna flow cat backs. I have passed the California sniffer test twice without any problems. I later had Dynamax Race Mufflers installed because it was a little too loud for me. The stock 2 1/4" exhaust is very restrictive. I think that opening up the exhaust is the easiest and most cost effective way to increase HP.

I did fail a visual smog test once because I had installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. My emissions have been much cleaner than what California law requires. The smog techs were more interested in my Superam. I had to show them the Superam's carb number in order to pass.

Last edited by Kool88vette; 01-14-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:57 PM
bczee
Racer

I call MagaFlow to get some information from them.. and reading the links as far as California is concern. The two cats that we have been talking about 38441 is compliant, as it has the metal stamping of the words and numbers, 93441 does not have the stamping and therefore not legal for california. Most likely are the same product internally. Guess I'll have to pickup the 38441, summit has them for $169 and some change.. Looks like Performance-Curve doesn't stock them yet..

Kool88Vette, what is the part number of your superram ? I might look into upgrading and will need to make sure it has C.A.R.B numbers..

thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I call MagaFlow to get some information from them.. and reading the links as far as California is concern. The two cats that we have been talking about 38441 is compliant, as it has the metal stamping of the words and numbers, 93441 does not have the stamping and therefore not legal for california. Most likely are the same product internally. Guess I'll have to pickup the 38441, summit has them for $169 and some change.. Looks like Performance-Curve doesn't stock them yet..

Kool88Vette, what is the part number of your superram ? I might look into upgrading and will need to make sure it has C.A.R.B numbers..

thanks.
Interesting. The box my 93441 came in said it was California compliant. It has numbers stamped on it but they are on top and cannot be seen without removing the converter.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 AM
bczee
Racer

Not sure why, maybe you can call them and ask... but when I checked there web site and also talked to there phone tech.. they said the 93441 was not...?.. I hope your is tho...

Here is what MagaFlow has published on there web site on the Calif compliant Cats..

http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04california.asp

Get notified of new replies

To California Compliant Catilytic Converter

Old 01-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks.
Accel stopped manufacturing the Superam. You might find one in our parts section or on Ebay. They are hard to find.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

The stock cat on one of my cars (1990) gutted itself by 150,000 miles, completely blown out hollow inside. My muffler guy said leave it alone, it's better than putting a new one on as it tested at zero backpressure.

I asked "How will it pass the California sniffer test?" He said don't worry, the cat is just a diaper in case one of your plugs dies, etc. It IS complettely original and stock-looking on the outside, so if your engine is in good tune you'll be fine.

The car passed smog for the next 100,000 miles!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Chris Kennedy
Instructor

Hi!

Well, getting back to everyone, I just got the third Magnaflow 93441. Like the other two, the inlet tube was mounted at something other than a 90 degree angle to the body of the converter, and the flange on the outlet side goes off at its own separate angle from the inlet tube----in other words, a good recipe for all sorts of fitment problems with the exhaust system from the cat back. At this point, I will probably send this converter back, and spring for a Random Technology converter.

Regards,

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Quick Reply: California Compliant Catilytic Converter