C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

California Compliant Catilytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:08 PM
0MagnaFlow_Rep
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
Magaflowrep.. what is the differents between the two..?

93441 and 38441 ? California Legal ?
A 93441 used to be compliant with California Prior to Jan 2009 but CARB has since made us change the set up and its number to a 38441 this is the only one that is legal to install on the car. It now has bigger stamping on the bottom with an EO#. If this stamping isnt on the bottom of the converter then its not considered legal for California.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Chris Kennedy
Instructor

Originally Posted by magnaflowrep
A 93441 used to be compliant with California Prior to Jan 2009 but CARB has since made us change the set up and its number to a 38441 this is the only one that is legal to install on the car. It now has bigger stamping on the bottom with an EO#. If this stamping isnt on the bottom of the converter then its not considered legal for California.

I just got a 38441 today---FINALLY the main inlet is welded on correctly (90 degrees). My advice would be, California or not, get the 38441.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 PM
bczee
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered a 38441 from Summit and dropped it off at my muffler guy, when I picked it up.. I found out that the air tube is on the wrong side and that the had to install the Cat upside down ! the word top is on the bottom and the C.A.R.B. numbers and working are on the top !... MagnaflowRep.. any comments. and what can I do about getting this cat exchanged !

It also leaks badly.. at both ends.. the front was not the correct size inlet and had to slip a peice of pipe in between the Y pipe and the inlet of the cat.. didn't want to weld it as the front Y piple and Pre Cats may need to be change later this year.. But the rear ball flange is just leaking, I have tried to tighten them but no luck..

I am going to try and call he Magna Flow tech numbers tomorrow, as it is already late here.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Any emission part sold in CA has to be certified to do what it says AND meet a mandatory warranty which on CATS is something like 10 Years these days. Basically, there is no difference internally - unless the Manufacturer is cheaping out on quality - between a CARB #'d CAT and one sold anywhere else EXCEPT for the mandatory Warranty. Any shop (that wants to stay in business) in CA wouldn't risk installing a CAT (or any emission part) without a CARB #. That's the Law and that's their Licensing requirement. If you want to put on something else you're going to have to do it yourself.

No OEM CAT carrys a different CA part # for any vehicle sold in the US. They're all screwed together with the same stuff. Those States that haven't adopted CA smog rules (something like 13 have) get screwed on the warranty but pay for that quality.

I've never seen a Smog Tech poke around for a CARB # on an installed CAT - I've never even seen a Jack at a Smog Station (Test Only which is where anything 15 Years or older is sent to because the State feels your vehicle is ripe to become - or is - a "Gross Polluter"). If someone wants to crawl under your Vette, wish him or her luck, but if your CAT is toasted, the numbers are going to show it. Unfortunately, Test Only Stations aren't suppose to tell you anything other than the numbers so you're on your own to figure them out. If you want to see the smog history on any leftover 2nds before you buy it, the CA BAR has a link where you can look it up.

Anyone who has found a way to meet FED or CA emissions standards without a CAT wouldn't be hanging out here unless you were really tired of spending all the money the OEM's are now laying on you.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

next January smog techs will be required to check for this OE # on cats.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Chris Kennedy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy
I just got a 38441 today---FINALLY the main inlet is welded on correctly (90 degrees). My advice would be, California or not, get the 38441.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Subsequently to sending this, I found that the air tube was on the wrong side, too, and sent the converter back. I finally ordered a RandomTech, which fit and works perfectly.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Chris Kennedy
Instructor

Originally Posted by bczee
I ordered a 38441 from Summit and dropped it off at my muffler guy, when I picked it up.. I found out that the air tube is on the wrong side and that the had to install the Cat upside down ! the word top is on the bottom and the C.A.R.B. numbers and working are on the top !... MagnaflowRep.. any comments. and what can I do about getting this cat exchanged !

It also leaks badly.. at both ends.. the front was not the correct size inlet and had to slip a peice of pipe in between the Y pipe and the inlet of the cat.. didn't want to weld it as the front Y piple and Pre Cats may need to be change later this year.. But the rear ball flange is just leaking, I have tried to tighten them but no luck..

I am going to try and call he Magna Flow tech numbers tomorrow, as it is already late here.
I had the same Magnaflow converter, and sent it back after I noticed the air tube connector was on the wrong side (see my posts). I had sent back three other Magnaflows with build problems before I thought this one was o.k. Finally, I just bought a RandomTech, which is pricey, but beautifully built and fits perfectly with no leaks. Magnaflow obviously has real quality control problems. /s/ Chris Kennedy
Old 03-24-2009, 11:02 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffp1167
next January smog techs will be required to check for this OE # on cats.
Law is here: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...ftermktcat.htm

I see the labeling, I see the 5 yr/50,000 mile warranty, but I don't see any inspection requirement and with Public Hearings scheduled through April, it's hardly final (though if SEMA isn't attending, it will probably be worse, rather than better).
Old 05-09-2009, 05:23 AM
jbracefan1977
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cumbercr
I am in the process of installing a Magnaflow 93441. It has a CARB number and is legal for 88 and older. The 38441 is their newest model. I wasn't able to find any of those available on line. The 93441 cost me $117...
well I have the magnaflow 93441 just installed too and it cost me less than that. So far I just love it, they are cheaper on ebay but I wanted a warranty (the salt on the roads here in winter kills an exhaust) so I got it here magnaflow 93441 , or you can try one of the vendors here, they are always running sales/specials. either way its a great system and very easy to install.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:26 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had always been under the impression obd1 was 82-91 and obd2 was 92-96

I have a 97 camaro 3.8 and its obd2 and cannot display codes like my 90 vette with a paperclip.

is everyone here sure obd2 cats and this law is in reference to 92 and later cars? I had a regular cat with no numbers put on my 90 firebird which is obd1 and it passes with ease and has never been questioned, my best friend had one put on his 90 vette same thing no numbers and it passes with ease.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:29 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

the only OB2 Vette was in 1996.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:25 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I doubt they will actuially look for the number. Vettes are so low they will stick a mirror underneath it at best and see if its there.

If you have a hollowed cat in Ca good luck passing the sniffer; if you get called into a state test only center theres no paying anyone off.
Its getting tougher and tougher, may as well make it legit (not like its going to cost you any power).
Old 05-09-2009, 11:15 AM
bczee
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I got one of the 1st batches of 38441's and they are defective. They put the cases on wrong. The top case (had TOP stamped on it) was on the bottom and the bottom case (had CARB numbers stamped on it) was on the top.
I returned it and had to wait a month for a exchanged one (Magnaflow/Summit). The new batch had both case with the CARB numbers stamped on both case. Not sure if this is just a quick fix or not.

The 93441 and 38441 are the same Cat by design, but the 93441 just doesn't havre the CARB numbers on it and therefore not Legal to be used on as a Fed/Calif SMOG compliant replacement. Not saying you can't use it or pass a sniffer test with it. It will just not pass the visual check due to the CARB numbers not on the bottom case.
This is one of the reason the 93441 can be found so cheap. The 38441 costed me $169 shipped from Summit. They even refunded the shipping cost to sent it back to them.

Last year on my Test, they didn't even look for the cat, but being my Daily Driver and that I have other cars, I figured I'd like to keep it as legal as possible. You never know when they will look for it (tester or the police).

Quick Reply: California Compliant Catilytic Converter