C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Keisler install - Engine in? or Engine out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:31 PM
72Warbonnet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keisler install - Engine in? or Engine out?

So...at the risk of being referred to the "search" link (which I've done)...

Can anyone comment on Keisler Installation with engine in, vs. engine out? Obviously, would prefer the latter...

Planning a 4+3 to TK-500 swap in an '86.

Also, if engine comes out -- should it come out with tranny attached?

Thanks!

Last edited by 72Warbonnet; 01-10-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:01 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Does not matter, it is a straight boltup

I have never taken the engine out with the tranny on, I always leave my hood on and I don't think I cold get the engine out if the tranny was still on.

I am taking mine out in a week or two and I will unbolt the bell housing

TKO 600 Install
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...tall-pics.html

Last edited by LD85; 01-10-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:57 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i am un familiar with the 6 4 install but i can tell you from experience, on a c2 big block car it is much easier to remove the hood, front mount bolts and fan assy, along with all the other pieces keisler recommends. then hook up a cherry picker and simply move the engine forward just a few inches. you dont even have to un hook heater hoses. ..good luck
Old 01-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midyearvette
i am un familiar with the 6 4 install but i can tell you from experience, on a c2 big block car it is much easier to remove the hood, front mount bolts and fan assy, along with all the other pieces keisler recommends. then hook up a cherry picker and simply move the engine forward just a few inches. you dont even have to un hook heater hoses. ..good luck

This is not a C2

There is no reason to go through the hassle of moving the motor, just get it high enough to work comfortably.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:50 AM
ray1979
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just did this in my 84. Trans goes in no problem. Very nice kit. No need to remove the engine.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 AM
0GENE-KEISLER SALES
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ray1979
i just did this in my 84. Trans goes in no problem. Very nice kit. No need to remove the engine.

Like with all of our kits No engine removal necessary.

This is an easy install. Just follow the directions and go against the Man code
Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Engine and trans cant go out together in a C4 without removing a lot of stuff in front of the engine. Drop the trans out the bottom
Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Originally Posted by 72Warbonnet
So...at the risk of being referred to the "search" link (which I've done)...

Can anyone comment on Keisler Installation with engine in, vs. engine out? Obviously, would prefer the latter...

Planning a 4+3 to TK-500 swap in an '86.

Also, if engine comes out -- should it come out with tranny attached?

Thanks!
72Warbonnet,

Thanks for asking about these details. The C4's removable torque arm design eliminates any need for engine removal. In fact, unlike others in the market, NONE of our kits require engine removal. Here are a few other points worth mentioning:

1. On ALL Keisler Corvette kits, the shifter is located EXACTLY in the correct location with no "dog legs". Dog legging the shifter stub changes the shifting geometry. It also magnifies any "slop" in the shifter mechanism.

2. On ALL Keisler Corvette kits, the shifter is QUICK RELEASE without breaking the transmission sealing (you don't have to worry about taking the responsibility on your transmission leaking). Removing the shifter tower makes the install of the transmission MUCH easier. In fact, the transmission can't be installed on manual equipped C1/C2 and most C3 cars without removal of the shifter.

3. All Keisler PerfectFit shifters have nearly zero freeplay while in gear. We have seen others with 1/2inch per gear, and this is not uncommon - many others have reported the same to us.

4. All Keisler PerfectFit shifters produced since late 2006 have changed carbon graphite impregnated bushing with quick release linkage. This eliminated the older design with roll pin. So the install is really easy and quick. No reports of failures, rattling, buzzing, etc with the new design and more than a couple thousand out there.

IF the engine is ALREADY out of the car, you can install the trans to the engine and replace the powertrain as one chunk. That would be the only reason to install the trans w/ engine.

There's always more than one way to 'skin a cat' but our manual has the method that is the established norm, and requires the least amount of disturbance to anything else.

We look forward to having you in the Keisler Club!

Get notified of new replies

To Keisler install - Engine in? or Engine out?

Quick Reply: Keisler install - Engine in? or Engine out?