C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Leaky windows!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 AM
mrdahk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky windows!

The weather stripping was bad when we bought the car so my dad and I put new weather stripping in and now they don't seal right. Any ideas?

And can anyone give me an idea of how much a transmission rebuild would run me for labor if I supply the rebuild kit?

Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like you gasketed over gaskets. There are stops in the door that you can adjust higher to get the window to seal better. The door panels will need to be removed to access the stops. Also you'll need to reinstall the door panel to so it applies pressure against the widow glass for a correct adjustment then check for leaks using a water hose. It is kind of trial and error thing....you may have to remove and install the panel several time to find a good seal alignment. Use care/caution when working with the door handle bezels as the plastic may be brittle from age.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 AM
mrdahk
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply, do you know where I can find instructions on doing that? Preferably with pictures :P
Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mrdahk
Thanks for the reply, do you know where I can find instructions on doing that? Preferably with pictures :P
No pictures that I'm aware of....check your FSM for adjustment proceedures or black and white diagrams. I did have a "dealer training video" that showed and explained the entire gasketing removal/install/adjustment process...but I sold it to another forum member.....the video was awesome.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-p...air-video.html
Old 01-09-2009, 04:13 PM
mrdahk
Intermediate

My Dad said he's played with the settings already and the pictures are as far as close as he could get it. Is there anything else I can try? I'll still get the fsm out and give it another go, but incase it doesn't work I'd like a plan B.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:32 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mrdahk
My Dad said he's played with the settings already and the pictures are as far as close as he could get it. Is there anything else I can try? I'll still get the fsm out and give it another go, but incase it doesn't work I'd like a plan B.
On the early C4s several of the origional weather strips were actually revised/changed slightly from what was offered from the factory.....so worst case you may need new stripping. There are a lot of tricks to correctly installing the weather stripping as it turns out. Extra seal strips and sealers are used in problematic areas. The targa's height can also be adjusted up or down slightly. It will be difficult to make an adjustment on "old used gaskets" since they have been compressed at another position for years or even decades....if you change the adjustment it could leak at another spot. For the most part you'll want to make sure all the hardware that holds the window drives, actuators and motors is snug so there is no slop or deflection. Then try to adjust the window stops again. If you still need more lower the Targa.
Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:59 PM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting the windows to seal well -new OR old weatherstripping - is a black art. Sometimes it helps to sacrifice a butterfly to the carburetor Gods...

Seriously - it's a challenge. It's unlikely that you (or Anyone) will Ever make the car perfectly water tight. Not to the point you would be comfortable taking it thru a car wash.

That said, with enough messing around you Can probably get the thing where it won't leak in the Rain. For a while, anyhow. Eventually you and the car will reach a compromise - It doesn't leak onto the Seats and You stop messing with it

Another thought - keep those new rubber parts out of the sun, as much as possible. UV exposure just plain Kills stuff like that, and the C4 design does a lousy job of Shading a Lot of that foam.

BTW, and for what it's worth.. I found it necessary (or at least Simplest) on My '85 to relocate slightly the drivers side A-pillar weatherstrip channel. I could NOT get a tight seal between the forward edge of the glass and the foam until I shifted the sheet metal channel that Holds the foam up/out about 1/4". After doing That modification getting a good seal was easy. The Passenger side didn't need the mod to work OK, and it's really hard to measure anything to tell what's "off" from side to side.

Who knows, someplace along the years perhaps a windshield install guy screwed it back on "wrong" - no telling how many times the glass has been replaced in a car with This many miles.

Not something that should have been necessary, and I don't recommend doing something like that except as a last resort, but it's Possible..

Get notified of new replies

To Leaky windows!

Quick Reply: Leaky windows!