C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Made in China,Ebay,Aluminum Radiator are these 3 a bad combination?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 85 500 horse
You can't get much better than a Dewitt's and a Chinese pos radiator certainly isn't nearly as good.
Some of us don't have $600 for a radiator and that is why these are selling. Let's put this in perspective, the radiator would be 10% of my cars value. That is more than I will spend on a part

Just my $.02
Old 12-28-2008, 12:52 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If you have the need for extraordinary cooling capacity, the DeWitt 4 row all aluminum radiator can't be beat. At the other end of the spectrum are the off shore, multi row copper/brass radiators that MAY cool as well as a stock radiator, but that won't likely last as long. As I said earlier, a stock replacement from a reputable manufacturer with an aluminum core and plastic tanks is what most of us need. For those that NEED more, go for the DeWitt.

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:40 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know what HP the stock radiator supports? My 383 is overheating a bit and it's not even summer yet. I know my stock radiator (which is original) is most likely clogged and needs replacing anyway, but I don't know if I can just buy a good new stock radiator or if I need to go with an aluminum one.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:47 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

First, pull it and take it to a radiator shop for flow testing and inspection. It may just need to be rodded out and cleaned.

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
Stock radiator here, 500hp, runs around 190 degrees in the summer.

-- Joe
However, if I reach the point of overwhelming the stock radiator I will buy a dewitts
Old 12-29-2008, 12:35 PM
elkabong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the Modine 2051. It is the OE HD replacement. About $175 if I remember correctly. I since have install a DeWitts with the 383.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:21 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Iroc57
Some of us don't have $600 for a radiator and that is why these are selling. Let's put this in perspective, the radiator would be 10% of my cars value. That is more than I will spend on a part

Just my $.02
I agree, C4's are the most difficult market to justify the cost of a double row aluminum radiator due to the market valves. C3's are probably next but unless I had a price increase I don't know about our radiator is actually $495.

I don't blame anyone for shopping around and trying to save money. We all need to keep an eye on the budget. My ONLY point I was trying to make was that, while they all might be aluminum radiators, they are not all built the same. Sure they might fit and cool ok but if you are in a position to spend the extra cash, I guarantee you will not ever regret it. Some people acknowledge added value in a product, and some don't but you won't find any other radiator manufacturer communicating directly with the customer or supporting the CF. While our warranty is three years, we have never refused to repair a radiator regardless of age.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
I agree, C4's are the most difficult market to justify the cost of a double row aluminum radiator due to the market valves. C3's are probably next but unless I had a price increase I don't know about our radiator is actually $495.

I don't blame anyone for shopping around and trying to save money. We all need to keep an eye on the budget. My ONLY point I was trying to make was that, while they all might be aluminum radiators, they are not all built the same. Sure they might fit and cool ok but if you are in a position to spend the extra cash, I guarantee you will not ever regret it. Some people acknowledge added value in a product, and some don't but you won't find any other radiator manufacturer communicating directly with the customer or supporting the CF. While our warranty is three years, we have never refused to repair a radiator regardless of age.
I stand corrected
Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I can say to all, DeWitts makes an excellent product. I installed one of their radiators in my '89 C4 and it's worth every penny. If you have done any HP mods the added heat has to be removed or performance may suffer. A DeWitts radiator should be considered an essential performance part.

Quick Reply: Made in China,Ebay,Aluminum Radiator are these 3 a bad combination?