C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help 1987 Interior lights on

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 08:04 PM
scnc4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help 1987 Interior lights on

Help I`ve got a 1987 coupe. The last 6 days the interior lights turn on at will. Usually it is at night killing the battery. When they are acting up the only way to turn them off is to either start the car or pull the fuse or disconnect the battery. The only problem is when I start to troubleshoot them they start to work properly. I have been able to verify that at the time they are checked both door switches and the rear hatch switch are functioning properly. When it chooses to work the interior lights time out properly. Any Ideas?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
kize
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interior light timer module has been a common trouble maker in the early c-4's. A helms book would help you out with trouble shooting and location diagrams. I believe these timers are again available but could be wrong.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:21 PM
M. Schumacher
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The door switch may be working okay when you press it in by hand, but not going in far enough when the door is closed. The one on my driver's door looked worn at the tip. For a quick fix I used one of those adhesive backed felt pads on the contact point of the door jamb to take up the space. No more problems.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 PM
blackxpress
Advanced

What M. Schumacher said. Mine was doing the same thing and I duct taped a penny to each contact point. Problem solved. I just got new door switches and plan to install them in the next day or two. If I was you I'd try the pennies before I went any further with diagnosis. If it solves your problem you know it's the door switches.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 PM
scnc4
Intermediate

Default Help 1987 Interior lights on

Thanks for the replies . I tried the door switch trick unfortunately it didn`t work. I will have to troubleshoot further. I don`t have a helms manual and don`t think I will be able to buy one soon. Could anybody point me in the right direction to troubleshoot ? Thanks
Old 12-27-2008, 11:55 AM
scnc4
Intermediate

Just wanted to thank all that responded. It was the delay timer. I jumped it out and all is well. Again Thanks.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Batyrkhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scnc4
Just wanted to thank all that responded. It was the delay timer. I jumped it out and all is well. Again Thanks.
Could you tell where timer located? I spent 6 hours yesterday, no luck. I have 95 coupe.
Thanks
Batyr
Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 PM
tdr1919
Racer

I had to do the same thing with my 86, I soldered a jumper, taking the delay out of the circuit and everything is fine, and not one person asked me why my lights didnt delay
Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Help 1987 Interior lights on

Quick Reply: Help 1987 Interior lights on