C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Sticking Lock-out Knob

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Freedom95
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking Lock-out ****

I've got a 'sticky' problem...

I've got a '95 convertible Corvette with a stock automatic transmission and have approximately 93,000 miles on it. The car's a great driver and runs very well but has developed one problem. After the car sits overnight in the garage it's very difficult for me to depress the lock-out **** on top of the shifter. I have a very difficult time shifting out of park even with my foot on the brake pedal. I've read thru the forum and the only solution that I found was to disconnect the solenoid that restricts us from shifting without applying the brakes. I disconnected it but that didn't make any difference.

In the mornings it's so difficult to depress the lock-out **** that I have to use pressure from both thumbs (and grit my teeth) to get the **** to free-up. I've tried to wiggle the shifter while trying to depress the button but that doesn't seem to help any. After I get it to move I don't have anymore problems depressing it for the rest of the day. Then the next morning after its sat for the night, it's as difficult as the previous morning and I start the process all over again.

It seems to slowly be getting worse and I'm starting to think that I'll have to have it towed out of the garage someday since I won't be able to shift it out of park.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:10 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Freedom95
I've got a 'sticky' problem...

I've got a '95 convertible Corvette with a stock automatic transmission and have approximately 93,000 miles on it. The car's a great driver and runs very well but has developed one problem. After the car sits overnight in the garage it's very difficult for me to depress the lock-out **** on top of the shifter. I have a very difficult time shifting out of park even with my foot on the brake pedal. I've read thru the forum and the only solution that I found was to disconnect the solenoid that restricts us from shifting without applying the brakes. I disconnected it but that didn't make any difference.

In the mornings it's so difficult to depress the lock-out **** that I have to use pressure from both thumbs (and grit my teeth) to get the **** to free-up. I've tried to wiggle the shifter while trying to depress the button but that doesn't seem to help any. After I get it to move I don't have anymore problems depressing it for the rest of the day. Then the next morning after its sat for the night, it's as difficult as the previous morning and I start the process all over again.

It seems to slowly be getting worse and I'm starting to think that I'll have to have it towed out of the garage someday since I won't be able to shift it out of park.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Perhaps the lock-out **** on top of the shifter is the problem. Remove the button with a small screw driver and take a look inside and check for button binding/debris inside the shifter **** housing.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:17 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same problem that about eveyone gets on the '95s, and it gets worse when the weather gets colder. The brake interlock solenoid in the shifter console is failing. Take the shifter cover off, pop the solenoid off and throw it away. There are no replacement solenoids available, but the only thing that will not work is the brake/shifter interlock.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Freedom95
Intermediate

Default Sticky Lock-out ****

Thanks for both of your responses. However, I've already done both. I've had the **** off to make sure it's not hung-up and I've already disconnected the solenoid several months ago. Neither one has helped.

So I still need help.

Thanks again in advance.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:15 AM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Isn't

there a cable attached from the shifter to the (eventually) transmission, I think it may first go to the steering column for lock out purposes (it does on my '91). Sounds like this cable could be the issue, needing a good lube or possibly replacement?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Freedom95
Intermediate

Default Sticky Lock-out ****

Thanks for the response.

The thing that's confusing me is that after I get it freed up the first time in the morning it's fine the rest of the day. The **** lets me depress it as if nothing's wrong. It only happens after the car has sat overnight (it's always in the garage).

I've checked the FSM to see if it indicated any points to lube or adjust and I didn't see any (doesn't mean that they're not there). I guess I'll have to take the console apart and crawl under the car to investigate and lube. What would be the correct type of lube for this?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM
BrianandDenise
Burning Brakes

It's the solenoid man. My 95 is stuck in the garage as well right now. Don't doubt the forum.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:05 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

He said he has already unplugged the solonoid and it didn't help.

I have the same problem with my C6. You can't get 'just the solonoid'.
The Dealer says he needs to replace the entire assy which costs $265 plus 3-4 hours labor.....I'm thinking about some other route to go right now. Column Lock with my last stick vette and now this with the auto.

Never had any other problems with any other Vettes.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:20 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

You said you disconnected the solenoid, did you disconnect it, or remove it? It sounds to me like you just unplugged it. I had the exact same symptoms, and removing the solenoid was 100% fix.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:21 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by lottavettes
He said he has already unplugged the solonoid and it didn't help.

I have the same problem with my C6. You can't get 'just the solonoid'.
The Dealer says he needs to replace the entire assy which costs $265 plus 3-4 hours labor.....I'm thinking about some other route to go right now. Column Lock with my last stick vette and now this with the auto.

Never had any other problems with any other Vettes.
Unplugged it, or removed it?

Get notified of new replies

To Sticking Lock-out Knob

Quick Reply: Sticking Lock-out Knob