C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Heater Control Valve Solution: 85-87 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Air-John
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of our 1985 Corvettes developed a small pin hole leak/crack on the steel piping attached to the heater control valve. I found what they claim is a genuine GM replacement PN 10120965 at KMB Automotive 718-931-2026 in New York for $195.00. I am thinking that this may be an aftermarket reproduction. They did not speak good English so I am not sure that it is genuine GM. I am taking my part to Service Center Radiator here in Auburn Calif 95603 in the morning to see if they can silver solder the small crack and rebuild the control valve. There is a process that coats the inside of the steel tubing to seal leaks but they told me that it is for fuel tanks and would not work with water. I used a very small camera that we use to inspect inside aircraft engines cylinders to look for rust, found minimal rust there so we should be good for a silver solder repair. Will post the results of the repair on Friday.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Great write-up C4boy. WELL DONE !
Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks for the write up.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Great writeup. However at this point, I would consider coughing up the $130 to Zip Corvette and get a whole new assembly. Have you seen the inside of those metal tubes after 25+ years?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Air-John
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Air-John
One of our 1985 Corvettes developed a small pin hole leak/crack on the steel piping attached to the heater control valve. I found what they claim is a genuine GM replacement PN 10120965 at KMB Automotive 718-931-2026 in New York for $195.00. I am thinking that this may be an aftermarket reproduction. They did not speak good English so I am not sure that it is genuine GM. I am taking my part to Service Center Radiator here in Auburn Calif 95603 in the morning to see if they can silver solder the small crack and rebuild the control valve. There is a process that coats the inside of the steel tubing to seal leaks but they told me that it is for fuel tanks and would not work with water. I used a very small camera that we use to inspect inside aircraft engines cylinders to look for rust, found minimal rust there so we should be good for a silver solder repair. Will post the results of the repair on Friday.
I ended up having the Radiator Shop pressure test the valve and tube assembly in their water tank, good thing they know me and did not rub it in so much when they found the leak. I completely overlooked one part of the tube assembly, the extra small unused nipple that I had put a NEW rubber "condom" cap on less than 6 months back. The new part had a split in it and was causing the leak. I took the assembly to Bast Brothers Welding here in Auburn and I had them weld that sucker shut so I would not have to use another rubber cap!! A heads up if any of you want to do the same thing, the tube assembly is steel but the nipple is Stainless Steel and needed a different welding procedure. After primer, paint, it looked like a factory part with no condom!!

Last edited by Air-John; 12-12-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Photo
Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This was originally posted in 2008 and I was happy someone drug it up back in Feb. I still dont need it as yet but the info is great and should be a sticky or keep dredging it up every now and then for folks who havent seen it.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:29 AM
c4nate
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4boy
I found a solution for the discontinued heater control valves for 85-87 Corvettes! A valve from an 82-84 full-sized Chevy is almost identical. The only difference is, the Chevy valve doesn’t have the long length of tubing, or a place to connect the coolant line that runs from the intake to the Corvette HCV.

The Corvette valve usually leaks from 2 seals in the valve and will drip around the screw. You'll find the main seal behind the screw will be all dried out.

With this control switch leaking, what can happen to your car?

Quick Reply: Heater Control Valve Solution: 85-87 Corvette