C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hairdresser changes water pump with the help of Corvette Forum!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:54 PM
blackthumbz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hairdresser changes water pump with the help of Corvette Forum!

Just want to thank the people that helped with the input i needed to get my water pump changed. Now i can stop bummimg rides from the women at my work..lol..even though it gave me a reason to get them in my house
But on a serious note..I just put the water pump in..change the thermostat..new plugs and wires.
Is there any time i should allow for the gasket sealer to dry..or is it okay to fire it up? Also..i was going to flush the rest of radiator and add new green coolant..do i need to worry about that bleeder valve on the themostat housing? Stupidly i broke the plug for the temp sensor after i put the water pump on and i was putting the serpetine belt back on. I told myself i should have unplugged it first and i could work around it..not the case. So i wanted to see if the parts store had one..thanks!!
Old 10-21-2008, 02:14 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you break the head of the sensor or the clip for the actual harness???? The coolant temperature sensor is available at most auto parts stores. I found mine at AutoZone - I snapped the plastic portion of the old sensor.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:15 PM
blackthumbz
Instructor

i broke the part that screws on the water pump..the old clip is still okay.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:21 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll need a new sensor then. Its like $12 and comes with a 2 year warranty from AutoZone.....I guess we need to be more careful next time.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Can't stop laughing at the title you used.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:46 PM
blackthumbz
Instructor

ya..i work part time as a hair stylist in Florida..i figured it was a great way to meet women and hopefully meet a wife. I figured after 12 years in the biz..id skip the wife part and just keep buying corvettes
But with the help of this forum..ive always done most of the work on my vettes myself. Pain in the butt..but nothing like a sore back and cut knuckles..makes the women at work want me more
Old 10-21-2008, 03:29 PM
blackthumbz
Instructor

great mechanic i make..started up the car..hesistated a few starts..then proceeded to chew up the serpentine belt..lol..its routed right..just think it wasnt on straight on bottom pulley
Old 10-21-2008, 04:48 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by blackthumbz
great mechanic i make..started up the car..hesistated a few starts..then proceeded to chew up the serpentine belt..lol..its routed right..just think it wasnt on straight on bottom pulley
Double check the routing, mine looked right - double checking showed I had routed it incorrectly over the idler pulley!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

When you replace the temp sensor try not to let a bunch of water get on the opti if so equipped. The vent screw you asked about is for bleeding air out of the system. As the car is warming up, open it a little until coolant flows out then close it. After the car cools off, open it again and a little more air will come out. Don't tighten it too much, it's a very light torque.

Get notified of new replies

To Hairdresser changes water pump with the help of Corvette Forum!

Quick Reply: Hairdresser changes water pump with the help of Corvette Forum!