C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

left headlight closes faster than the right (passenger side) headlight ??

Old 01-09-2002, 12:13 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default left headlight closes faster than the right (passenger side) headlight ??

Well I got another problem here. My left headlight closes faster than the right headlight. The right headlight acts like it might get stuck as well (it hesistates for a split second like its getting caught on something before closing completely). This causes it to close out of sync' (slightly)with the right (drivers side) headlight....

Any suggestions? Should I replace both headlights bushings? and will that make them open and close at the same time in sync?

Old 01-09-2002, 12:20 PM
vette87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: left headlight closes faster than the right (passenger side) headlight ?? (dizwiz24)

I know this don't help much, but be proud it opens and closes. Wait untill it gives up the ghost and then fix it. I had the drivers headlight door seemingly stick closed for awhile and I had to touch it with my finger and it opened just fine. Well, it quit sticking and opens fine on its own. Ya, they open and close just a tad out of sync., but they open and close on their own. I'd rather spend the money on whats not working or flat just don't look good and replace it. :yesnod: :)

I got put in jail for the first and last time in my life in Kent, Ohio for a trafic violation when I was going to school there for awhile. Thank God for the college students there or the cops there wouldn't have anything to do. I was there about three years after the state police used students for target practice.

[Modified by vette87, 10:25 AM 1/9/2002]
Old 01-09-2002, 12:23 PM
TiIngot
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: left headlight closes faster than the right (passenger side) headlight ?? (dizwiz24)

Open the hood and look down by the water reserve tank in front of the right wheel. On my '96 there is a aluminum line that runs along the frame support to the left of the tank. Last year I removed and cleaned my tank. After installation the light bucket would catch on the aluminum hose when it rotated with the hood closed. (It would not jam with the hood open so I determined it was not the rotating system but an obstruction.) If I remember right it is the return line to the tank. After slightly repositioning the aluminum line my problem went away.

Good luck. Hope this is an easy fix.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:27 PM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: left headlight closes faster than the right (TiIngot)

Mine did that for a while too. Make sure nothing is catching it and holding it from rotating. In my case the left light finally stopped and I traced it to a bad relay. Changed and now, all is fine. The bushings also make since.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine were fine until one of my motors decided to quit, which apparently blew up that side of the control module. I replaced the motor and control module with a used one, now they are out of sync slightly. I can hear the passenger side motor continue to turn for a few seconds after they open or close. For now though they still work, so I'm not worried about it. They don't catch on anything, it's a smooth operation, just out of sync by about 1/2 a second.

I could fix the problem by replacing both motors, but it's not high on my list of priorities.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:42 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Sounds like you need to replace the bushings. Common problem. Part is cheap, like $4/side. Not hard to do, once you figure out how to more easily do the job. You should not try to remove the screws that attach the motor to the gear or they might snap. Also, You can remove the motor from the assembly by just removing the pin that hold the motor shaft on to the assembly. It makes it a lot harder if you follow the directions that come with the bushing and remove all those E clamps.

Do both sides!
Old 01-09-2002, 01:59 PM
85 Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did that. The plastic gears were wearing away, and some of the material caught up in between the teeth. I cleaned the blockage, and problem went away.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:36 PM
White Lightning
Pro

After 95,000 miles on my 89 coupe, my driver's side headlight did the same thing. I bought the brass gear with the delrin bushings--about $55. Opened up the motor housing and saw powder that once was delrin bushings. But here's the kicker: The plastic gear was in almost perfect shape.

Since I'd already paid for the gear and the motor housing was open, I replaced the plastic gear with the brass one. But I also held onto that old gear for when the passenger side goes.

The moral of the story is wait until you open the housing up before you order a replacement gear. The bushings are about $4, but a replacement gear is much more.

-WL
Old 01-11-2002, 09:23 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Default Re: left headlight closes faster than the right (vette87)

Yeah,

Kents biggest downfall is the police force. Ever since coming back there after graduation from college (not KSU), it seems they try to turn every traffic stop into a DUI.

I have gotten my only 2 tickets ever (one for making a left turn on yellow at 2am (he said it was red of course), and the other for not using my turn signal to signal a turn at 1:30am when no other traffic was on the road.

It seems after pulling you over and discovering you are sober, that they justify the stop by writing you a ticket. I wish I could divert my tax dollars away from them if I could.

I kind of do, I have the option of either paying city income taxes in the city I live, or the city I work. I pay them in the city I work in!!

They are real buttho1es. The young ones are the worst too. My sympathy goes out. The only thing that keeps me in that city are friends.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:05 AM
Monkey Business
Instructor

Default Re: Headlight Fix

I have an 85 vette and had the same problems. If I pushed down on the headlight it would work for a week and then quit or be slower and close when it wanted. Took the whole unit out and found out that the brushes were worn out. Went to an alternator/starter rebuild shop. They gave me the ones I needed. Never had the problem again. Might check em.... :lol: :yesnod: Monkey Business
Old 01-17-2002, 08:42 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

This problem has magically fixed itself after opening and closing the hood a couple times, and now that theres full juice in the battery
Old 01-18-2002, 02:39 AM
notbob
Racer

Default Re: left headlight closes faster than the right (Flame Red)

Sounds like you need to replace the bushings. Common problem. Part is cheap, like $4/side. Not hard to do, once you figure out how to more easily do the job. You should not try to remove the screws that attach the motor to the gear or they might snap. Also, You can remove the motor from the assembly by just removing the pin that hold the motor shaft on to the assembly. It makes it a lot harder if you follow the directions that come with the bushing and remove all those E clamps.

Do both sides!
PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE THAT PIN!!!!!

I gave up trying to get it free, it wouldn't move no matter what I did to it, 4 hours of working on 1 of the headlight assemblies then I gave up, heh how much to mail you the headlights, fix em, and mail back? ;)
Old 01-18-2002, 10:18 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: left headlight closes faster than the right (notbob)

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE THAT PIN!!!!!
I gave up trying to get it free, it wouldn't move no matter what I did to it, 4 hours of working on 1 of the headlight assemblies then I gave up, heh how much to mail you the headlights, fix em, and mail back? ;)
I used a 16D nail to remove the pin. Just tapped on it a couple of times and it came out.

For the originator of the thread - Buy two replacement bushing kits NOW. The next nice day replace the bushings. You probably have most of the bushings intact, but it is better to fix it now than to wait until the headlight won't go up or down. It will save you a burned out motor as well. It took about an hour to do my first one (followed the directions). I forgot to order two kits and only fixed the one. Now the other side is exhibiting lazy eye syndrome.

Get notified of new replies

To left headlight closes faster than the right (passenger side) headlight ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: left headlight closes faster than the right (passenger side) headlight ??