Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine Sponsored by
J&D Corvette

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
_twisted_
CF Senior Member

Default Symptoms of a bad/dirty MAF ?

Help me out here, did your K&N make your MAF act up?

I cleaned my filter about 2 months ago, all was ok until recently.

The car runs ok, but when I lug it around in OD within 1/4 mile it starts to die then a slight buck, throws a code 33, and stalls out

SHut it down, Check ENgine light goes out and drive home in D and it hasn't thrown a code.

1993 Black Rose Coupe

To see photos click here
_twisted_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
cwyates4
CF Senior Member

33 is MAF high voltage...if your wire was dirty, I think you would see a 34 pop up. Wouldn't hurt to clean it, but I'd be looking at other things...like the possibility of a vacuum leak.
cwyates4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
engle1147
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to engle1147

Had that happen once - the engine made a big bang under hard power while going about 50 MPH then the car died....but it restarted and I dove it home at about 20mph which is all the thing could muster. The thin MAF wire inside was fried - K&N oil all inside the MAF. Your problem should have shown up before 2 months though...mine only took a few days. Check your MAF wire...if it's intact change the 2 MAF relays.

Well at least I now know how much filter oil is too much.

Good Luck!
engle1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
theadmiral94
CF Senior Member

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ

It does sound like a dirty MAF (our 94 never gave a code, but it did stumble at 1100-1200 RPM and buck a bit at 1600-1700 RPM.

Once I cleaned the TB, IAC and MAF (using the CRC products specifically for each), the stumble and bucking both stopped.

After reading about concerns about the K&N Filter oil migrating into the MAF, and also a comparision of filters (which showed K&N allowed more dirt through), I also removed the K&N filter and switched to a paper filter (NAPA GOLD), especially since it is only a street car.

BTW, I also found some oily dirt on the engine side of the MAF. I concluded the PCV valve was original and most probably the spring inside was weak and allowing the PCV to close prematurely, causing engine blow-by to be forced backward towards the TB and the backside of the MAF (also found one of those 'airfoils' in the intake, which I removed too).

I posted additional info about this a few weeks ago, try doing a search for my id and MAF to find it...
Old 08-31-2008, 03:14 AM   #5
juanway
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _twisted_ View Post
Help me out here, did your K&N make your MAF act up?

I cleaned my filter about 2 months ago, all was ok until recently.

The car runs ok, but when I lug it around in OD within 1/4 mile it starts to die then a slight buck, throws a code 33, and stalls out

SHut it down, Check ENgine light goes out and drive home in D and it hasn't thrown a code.

Take that K&n filter and get your money back it has a life time warranty and find a wix air filter . that K&n sets to close to the MAF
I have had 2 Maf taken out, to see if it is the MAF unplug it and the computor in the car will go to set default settings and then start you r vette and I bet it runs better. That K&N filter left me standed in Taos , New Mexico.
juanway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
formul89
CF Senior Member

My 94 is throwing code H48-MAF. I cleaned the TB, IAC and sprayed the MAF insides with MAF cleaner and it runs better with it disconnected. I can at least drive it that way, but plugged in the engine runs awful.

I'm stumped.
formul89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
cwyates4
CF Senior Member

Uh, Me thinks you need to check for power to the maf. If power is there, maf is probably toast.
cwyates4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Symptoms of a bad/dirty MAF ?

Tags
1990, 34, bad, car, code, corvette, dirty, iac, maf, maftbiac, make, run, sensor, signs, symptom, symptoms, symtoms