C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Body flex

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 12:27 AM
vette_guy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body flex

Is there an aftermarket chassis stiffener available to stiffen up my 94 coupe? When the roof panel is removed, the car loses much of it's rigidity. Are there any other suggestions for dealing with this characteristic?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Pat Dolson
94 coupe
Old 01-02-2002, 12:38 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Body flex (vette_guy)

something like an X brace can be installed.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:19 AM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Body flex (vader86)

http://www.r-dracing.com/

Check there... they make a cross-bar that goes between the upper seat belt mounting points... pretty much everyone thats tried one here raves about it. I just purchased mine a few days ago.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:48 AM
Louis Bartay
Burning Brakes

Hello,
See http://www.r-dracing.com the owner is a RACER and he makes an GREAT brace.Every time I take my top off my 1996 LT4 Coupe has a flex in turns, my friend has this brace in his C4 Coupe and it is SOLID now, GO FOR IT. After Christmas I am.
Regards, Louis :cheers:
Old 01-02-2002, 02:59 AM
TexCorvette
Drifting

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Body flex (Louis Bartay)

where is the link for the X brace. Already have an Arizona Speed and Marine cross bar. Need the Polly bushings, and X brace and I'll be alsmost as stiff as a c5 ;) What is a URL for an X-brace I can use on a coupe, should be the same a a vert?

[Modified by TexCorvette, 2:12 AM 1/2/2002]
Old 01-02-2002, 08:58 AM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Body flex (TexCorvette)

There are no aftermarker X-braces made that I'm aware of.. you need to gather the parts for a verts X-brace. Not sure if all the holes inb the frame are there or not in the coupe.

You might want to contact the R-D (above links) for their new Camber brace... it tightens the front of the car up much like the cross bar does for the rear.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:30 AM
urtoslo
Pro

I don't think you will be happy with the cross bar mentioned in the other posts, if what you want to do is stiffen up your chassis and reduce body flex. A crossbar is a good mounting point for harnesses and a camera and that's about it. If you are thinking of any safety they may offer in a rollover, they offer none.

A roll bar, whether it's a four, six or eight-point will stiffen up the car nicely. I have a four-point roll bar in my convertible and it made the car feel like a C5. Everyone that has installed at least a four-point rollbar in a coupe has also noticed the lack of body flex, top in or out. Safety is up dramatically too.

I have heard that an under-the-car cross (x) brace, like C4 convertibles have, can be installed in the coupes. However, convertibles are also made to ride higher than coupes, to clear the cross bar over things like speed bumps.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:34 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Body flex (urtoslo)

Welcome to the world for the C4 jiggles. I have the same problem on my 93. Damn thing just shakes like an earthquake with the roof out.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:01 PM
C4 4Me
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran

[QUOTE]I don't think you will be happy with the cross bar mentioned in the other posts, if what you want to do is stiffen up your chassis and reduce body flex. A crossbar is a good mounting point for harnesses and a camera and that's about it. If you are thinking of any safety they may offer in a rollover, they offer none.
QUOTE]

Respectfully disagree, the crossbar made an extremely noticable difference in the stiffness of my chassis. Ity is like a different car. I will be installing the front camber brace shortly and expect great things.

Keep in mind putting the X-brace on a coupe compromises ground clearance, where I live in pothiole central I already have enough issues not bottoming out. Convetrtibles ride 1/2" higher to compromise for the loss of clearance due to the x-brace.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:49 PM
Louis Bartay
Burning Brakes

The cross bar was not meant to be a roll bar. Just a fix for driving with your top off and you C4 will drive like the is on. A roll bar will be a plus in a roll over but it will cost you when you sell the car as you will have to weld or drill on your frame, I want my Vette to be stock again some day so it is bolt on's for me so I can change back to stock when it is time to trade up (ZO6). R&D Racing's bar WILL make you Vette drive normal when the top is off.
Louis :chevy :cheers:
Old 01-02-2002, 01:18 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Body flex

I have always wanted to fill the chassis sills with high-density autobody foam...

Old 01-02-2002, 01:52 PM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Body flex (bogus)

don't think you will be happy with the cross bar mentioned in the other posts, if what you want to do is stiffen up your chassis and reduce body flex.
I haven't seen a single post yet from a person thats tried a crossbar and had negitive comments about it's effect. A crossbar is a good solution to flex with the top off as compared to the drastic side of installing a roll bar. Of course a rollbar will work great.. but you arent talking a 250-350 dollar fix that can be removed in 15 minutes.

I rarely take the top off of mine and I got one!

Get notified of new replies

To Body flex

Quick Reply: Body flex