C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Why is my 421 taking a while to build? Well here it is.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 11:34 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Why is my 421 taking a while to build? Well here it is.......

Jsup(John) who is building a 427 has commented on why my motor is taking a while to build, and commented on that he will have his built in 30 days. John has advised us that he recently lost his job, and is taking some of his settlement to build this 427 for his C4. John found a job right away. If he was unemployed, I wouldnt mention this as that isnt right. My point is, the reason he can build it so fast is because he has chosen to spend money on his car.

John is being somewhat of a smartass and negative in his posts which is fine. I actually find him quite ammusing. He is the posting ****. Not only has John made comments, but a have received a few pm's as to when the 421 is done, and what's the hold up?

For us who have to work for a living and save money, you will understand why this motor has taken a while, and I will give you some hints as to why this has happened. All the events have happened within the last 2 years, and most has happened within the last 3 months time.

First, I got married to my beautiful wife Monika. We were married at a very nice golf course. Here are a few pictures of us. You can imagine an event of such sorts does incure costs.

Second off we decided if we wanted to start a family that we needed some safe practical vehicles. I decided to purchase a one year old Trailblazer LT, and a Volvo S60 2.5 Turbo. The Trailblazer is extremely safe in the harsh winters that we see in Canada, and the Volvo is one of the safest 4 door sedans on the market. All 3 of my cars are payed off. Again I could of built 4 421's if I didnt pay off all of my vehicles.

I then decided that since gas wasnt getting any cheaper, I wanted to stop commuting an hour to work, and 1 hour home. I found a job about 15 minutes away making slighty more money, and in that time my wife finished school, and started her career as a dental hygenist. Hygenist school is huge bucks!

Next we decided that we officially wanted to start a family, and so we did. My wife is now about 5-6 weeks away, and we are expecting our first little one, and yes it's a girl!

Next we decided that we wanted to move. I wanted a bigger garage, and some land, and my wife wanted a bigger kitchen. It all worked out in the end. We build a 2100 sq foot bungalow outside of the city, and it stands on a 1.4 acre lot. I got to build the garage I wanted which is 33W x 22D, and my wife upgraded the kitchen. I am also saving up for a 4 post lift, so the Vette can you a place to call home.

There are a few more things to mention that has happened in my life in the last year or so, but the things mentioned above are the main one's. Everything in life costs money, especially if you want good quality things, and I am taking no exception to my 421. I'd imagine it will take another 4-5 weeks before it arrives, but I have much bigger things in life to think about. I have bought tons of baby things, and that money could of easily finished off the 421 and then some. As we all realize there are priorities in life, and yes the 421 is important, but it's at the bottom of my list. I came to the conclusion that I never want to sell my car, so why hurry things. I would rather have a well thought out plan, then hurry a plan and forget key factors. Things I am going to do in the future is, big brakes, suspension mods etc....

One other thing. I might be going in and being a partner on a business. It's a HUGE decision, and a gamble, but if it works out, I will be buying one of these in the next 2-3 years.

I find some guys on here take things way to serious. It's a car, nothing more, and nothing less. I have a long time goal with my car, and the final package wont be done for years (3-4 yrs) to come. But when it is, it will be one of the nicest C4's around.

In summary. I feel rather fortunate that I even have a Corvette that I love, and my wife doesnt mind me building a 500+ hp motor at the time we are starting a family. She is going to be one hip mom and wife!!

Cheers!

Last edited by 88BlackZ-51; 08-09-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:46 AM
89FX3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default nice post Rick

We don't get enough of these on this forum
Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
Again I could of built 4 421's if I didnt not to pay off my 3 vehicles.
What would you put the 4th one in if you only have 3 vehicles?
Old 08-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you have your priorities straight. With some guys the C4 is more important than the wife and kids.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Originally Posted by Aurora40
What would you put the 4th one in if you only have 3 vehicles?

Always a smartass Bob. It's simple. Since you need more HP, it would of went nicely in your ZR-1. Just think of the extra HP, and less weight! Every LT-5's owners dream!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:01 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kool88vette
Looks like you have your priorities straight. With some guys the C4 is more important than the wife and kids.
I appreciate that. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:04 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Congrats on the marriage, I thought for sure you and Jsup would get hitched the way you two get along! LOL J/K
Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 PM
abc 123
Burning Brakes

Some people are aholes. Some more than others. Enjoy life, and it looks like you are. There is more to it than just Vettes, and I think a lot of people forget that.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:22 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Congrats on the marriage, I thought for sure you and Jsup would get hitched the way you two get along! LOL J/K

I like the younger ladies, not the older outdated one's.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:31 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

There is???? ............................

Just kidding. Looks like you are living the American Dream. Beautiful wife, beautiful house, and beautiful cars......NOW HURRY UP AND GET THE VETTE DONE!!!! lol.

Originally Posted by abc 123
Some people are aholes. Some more than others. Enjoy life, and it looks like you are. There is more to it than just Vettes, and I think a lot of people forget that.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:47 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

88black, sounds like you and jsup just need to get the gloves on and go at it.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:50 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Great Post ! Congrats on being married Rick ! As it appears you one helluva fortunate man ! Beautiful wife, Beautiful House (omg so jealous of the garage !) and soon to be beautiful daughter ( hopefully she gets her looks from her mom ) and of course a beautiful car. Take your time with the car. The summer is almost finished and you'll have all winter to iron out the wrinkles and focus on other things. Glad you have your priorities in the right order. It's having them in the right order that will lead to happiness in the end.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:31 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Nice Rick, I've been eagarly awainting to see your finished product and congrats on all the exciting events.

Trust me, I understand, weddings, moving, paying for grad school... these are a few reasons why my Vette hasn't gotten much love lately. Glad to see you have your priorities straight and are managing things so you can have fun too!

Chris
Old 08-09-2008, 02:36 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice post Rick. Congrats on your success Judging by the picture you married "up". J/K (just like me...)
Old 08-09-2008, 03:52 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Originally Posted by JimiHendrix
There is???? ............................

Just kidding. Looks like you are living the American Dream. Beautiful wife, beautiful house, and beautiful cars......NOW HURRY UP AND GET THE VETTE DONE!!!! lol.
Maybe the Canadian dream. j/k. I am far off in regards to my dreams. However being able to afford the new ZR-1 would be a tick off the dream list without those fugly chrome rims.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:14 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread Rick. As others have said, beautiful house, nice garage...looks great. I also note you married up...very good. As I tell my wife, let me make the decisions around here, YOU married ME...

Glad to see life is good. Keep it up, I hope that ZR1 is in your future.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

I don't think you had to explain anything to anyone. Its really not anyones business but your own.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is my 421 taking a while to build? Well here it is.......

Old 08-09-2008, 05:10 PM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks all good from here and hope it all continues for many years!! Have enjoyed many Vettes but love my family and life much more
Old 08-09-2008, 05:15 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow you have had a lot going on, but I must admit we have heard a lot about the big build, I guess we were just anxious to see if your expectations would be met, I guess it's safe to say that it will be 09 at best before your new engine will be making noise.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:30 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind what this forum stuff is - opinions/thoughts from strangers.......

You seem to have your life in order and have your priorities set - just make sure you keep them set for you and your family. You are where I was at a few years back and my car/racing are still a very big part of my life, but never bigger than my family.

1.5 years ago my wife and I had a set of twins which made it 5 kids in all for me. Before I was racing nearly every weekend, but when they came we had to rearrange our lives to accomodate both our career paths etc. Today we are well on our way to being where we want to be in our lives and racing will eventually commence again the way I want it to, but for now I am content with what is happening. I am fairly young (33) and know I have many more years to race the way I want.

I put my solid rear axle in my car the year the kids were born and did it after they went to bed and spent MANY late night hours to pull it off in a reasonable amount of time. I would go out in the attached garage, and every 5 minutes run in to check on the little ones. 90% of the time I would get out there and sure enough have to stop because one of them would wake up and need held to get back to sleep. What should have taken 10minutes might taken me 2-3hours to complete. The payoff and patients were 10fold what they would have been just banging the stuff off. Everytime I look at the setup I think of all the work and how hard it was at time to get things done. As such I doubt I will ever sell the car due to these memories.

Take your time, work on your shedule and don't worry about what internet characters are saying.

Quick Reply: Why is my 421 taking a while to build? Well here it is.......