C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Step by Step use of Seafoam to clean intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Hwy St*r
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Step by Step use of Seafoam to clean intake

I've used seafoam in the tank but I read for the best cleaning you are supposed to use half of the can into the intake thru a vacuum line. Can anyone give me the step by step on the proper way to do this? Should the car be running first when the vacuum line is disconnected? do you just stick it into the can and let it suck up half the content all at once or a little at a time? What works best?

Thanx.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Disconnect the brake booster hose first, then with the engine running hold the brake booster hose just inside the Seafoam can because the suction from the brake booster hose will be a lot and you want to regulate how much will be sucked into the engine.

You'll see what I mean when you do it. Also, don't let the engine stall because the cylinders can become hydrolocked.

Let the engine suck in at least 1/3 to 1/2 the bottle.

Last edited by GKK; 08-01-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:08 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I pull the vacuam hose off the brake booster and put a small funnel into the hose, this way you can regulate how much enters the intake. Start pouring Seafoam into the hose until the engine just starts to stall, then back off until it recovers and then pour it in again. Do this until you have about a third left, then pour it in faster until the motor stalls or is close to stalling, then shut the motor off and let it sit for 10 minites. After 10 minites start the engine and let it idle until it stops smoking, this could be 2 minites, or it could be 5 minites, it depends how dirty your motor was.By letting it sit for 10 minites after shutting it off you are letting the Seafoam eat away at all the funk in your valves and pistons and it really cleans it off..Ive used Seafoam in my Outboard motors and cars for years and theres nothing better for cleaning the rings and pistons.By the way, this is how the Seafoam salesman told me to do it many years ago. It will not hydrolock your motor because your shutting the motor off as it stalls,just don't keep pouring after the engine stalls or is shut off. ...WW

Last edited by WW7; 08-01-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:27 PM
viii
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

and there are actually a few videos on youtube that will give you an idea of what to expect (helped me). I have to say that I was impressed after using seafoam.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:26 AM
bczee
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

This is one of the best write up and photos.. I have seen

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...hlight=seafoam

I myself have had great results using it on many cars and trucks.

Last edited by bczee; 08-02-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Step by Step use of Seafoam to clean intake

Quick Reply: Step by Step use of Seafoam to clean intake