C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brass plug on power steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Tool Pants
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brass plug on power steering rack

My friend just bought a 1985 and he is not into message boards. I know next to nothing about a Vette. So here is the question.

He says the power steering rack is leaking from a brass plug on the bottom of the rack. He drove the car a few feet up the curb so I could look under. It made a moaning sound because all the fluid has leaked out.

I saw the plug but it was not dripping, but that could be because there is no fluid left. It was moist at the bottom of the rack. I cleaned off the plug area and took a picture. I was on my back looking up at the rack for the picture.

The plug is almost flush with the rack. It has no allen or hex fitting that would permit you to tighten it.

What is the purpose of the plug? Can it leak? If it can leak then what is the fix short of replacing the rack? Thanks.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:32 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I PM'd a moderator to move this to the C4 section .... a 1985 is a 4th generation Corvette (C4) ..... you're posting in the 5th generation (C5 - 1997 - 2004) forum.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
kize
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that is a pin- not a plug. It keeps the two halves of the rack from separating. If you are losing all power steering fluid from this location or have grabbing or noise from the rack assembly-its time to change the rack out with a reman or new.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Tool Pants
2nd Gear

Thank you for moving my message, and the response.

I sent Herb, the owner, the response. Here is his response:

"I did some searching and found a bunch of warnings 'be careful not to break the plastic cover in the middle...',
but they don't say what the plastic cover is for. It may be a cover for the brass piece of which you speak.

If it is, can it be replaced?"

End of Herb's message.

I was under the car only long enough to wipe off the brass pin thing area with a rag and take a picture. Now that I look at the picture again I see a black something where the pin is. I assumed the rack was black aluminum in that area, but it may be a black plastic cover.

Herb is a plumber. He likes to fix leaks.

Any chance this can be fixed by a DIYer or is the rack toast?

Last edited by Tool Pants; 07-15-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 PM
c4sailor
Pro

Don't know if this is precisely what you need but may be.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2039399
Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 AM
evmlarry
Pro

The racks leak in these things, they aren't all that durable... I'd just replace the rack and while at that, might as well go for the sport rack.

It's less that $200 and a few hours of work. Nothing difficult. I replaced mine with just a rebuilt one from Autozone and have had absolutely no issues.

I'm sure you can just about go anywhere and get the same "quality" of a rebuilt rack.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default rack

The aluminum part screws into the steel part. The plug is a pin that keeps the aluminum part from backing out.
If it's leaking from there, the internal seal is history. Replace the rack.

Get notified of new replies

To Brass plug on power steering rack

Quick Reply: Brass plug on power steering rack