C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Beam Plates - my impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 02:09 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Beam Plates - my impressions

I installed them a few weeks ago and I can say they work as advertised. They virtually eliminate the right side kick you get from the hard and fast shifts (I have a 6-speed). They REALLY force that energy down to the pavement instead of having it lost when it kicks to the right (stock setup).

I have a related story that I have to tell. I have a friend at work that when he got his 2001 Cobra we did a rolling run up to about 85mph. We were neck and neck all the way till the end. I did not powershift the 2-3 shift like I generally do now. This is also the time when I did not have the C4 beam plates installed.

Last week he wanted to run again to see how he would do since he got Flowmasters and a K&N and planned on getting 4.10s installed later (3.27 stock for Cobra). So I run him twice and beat him 2-3 car lengths. The difference this time was that I did powershift 2-3 and I had the C4 beam plates installed. So I was thinking that those C4 beam plates really put the power down great and/or the powershifting makes a huge difference!

This is what is the kicker. We get back to the parking lot and he tells me he lied to me and he has the 4.10s already installed! Going from 3.27 to 4.10 should give him at least 2 car lengths alone. The following weekend he gets his car dynoed again and he shows a gain of 20 rwhp so his car did not loose power from his mods.

So does that mean if we had raced after the C4 beam plates were installed and he was stock that I would have put 4-5 car lengths on him?
:crazy:

This is really weird.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:21 PM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

Default Re: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions (ericcer)

That's pretty awesome that you're more than a satisfied customer. Me too. I put my beam plates in when I replaced the clutch over Thanksgiving. I went out then with racing slicks that were completely cold in 40 degree weather for a quick test. The 1 to 2 shift and 2 to 3 are now more predictable. The back end does stay in line a lot better. How you were still able to keep ahead of him even with his gear swap is another story... The beam plates do inspire confidence, but does it really translate into car lengths of performance? You musta really been granny shifting beforehand!

On the rustang note, welcome to the MCAA. Keep on crushing that rustang! ;)
Old 12-27-2001, 04:36 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

who sells these beam plates??? explain more!!!
Old 12-27-2001, 04:41 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Default Re: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions (bogus)

Take a look at http://www.zfdoc.com/c4beamplate.htm
Old 12-27-2001, 05:23 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a better page, for the 179, you get cryogenic treatment and does that include shipping?
http://www.nospam.com/billb.html

you must cut and paste the link

[Modified by Jeffvette, 3:25 PM 12/27/2001]
Old 12-27-2001, 05:57 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions (Jeffvette)

Here is a better page, for the 179, you get cryogenic treatment and does that include shipping?
http://www.nospam.com/billb.html

you must cut and paste the link
that link did'nt work... but the first one did... most interesting! thanks for the info!!!

:cheers:
Old 12-27-2001, 06:38 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I smell something here.... :U

So, you work, where?
Old 12-27-2001, 07:12 PM
1K SPORT
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions (BBA)

So, you work, where?
I smell something to, than again I just farted.

I have heard nothing but good things about the C4beams.

BBA, ZFDoc, who makes these, are in Arizona. It looks like the original poster is in Fla. That's a heck of a commute.

[Modified by 1K SPORT, 3:16 PM 12/27/2001]
Old 12-27-2001, 09:29 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Default Re: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions (1K SPORT)

So, you work, where?
huh?
Old 12-27-2001, 09:46 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Default Re: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions (BBA)

So, you work, where?
I agree. IMO something is funny here. I won't be investing in these....I already have the AIR FOIL! Nuff for me....once bitten, twice shy. :smash:
Old 12-27-2001, 10:18 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions (GRX)

Anyone else use these and have simular results?
Old 12-27-2001, 10:44 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions (RichS)

I have read of a couple of people on the GSR mailing list who had good results. My car tracks straight without them. If you have the problem described, I hear they work great. If you don't have the problem, my experience has been that they won't do much.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:49 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

If the guy with the Cobra has the luck I had going to 4.10's, he may have slowed down a little. With my old tires, my GS would spin well into 3rd gear to about 70 MPH or so. It would still accelerate and impress the hell out of people, but I could tell it was losing traction. Especially when it caught in 3rd. And now with the NITTO's the difference is amazing.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:02 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Default Re: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions (Mr Dave)

I would think it would be a waste of money if your car is not putting down around 300 rwhp. Probably with anything less the kick to the right would not happen.
My car tracks straight without them.
Of course your GS does have the 300 rwhp but am wondering if you have ever done a 1-2 or 2-3 powershift. That is where it will happen. If you don't drive aggressively then you will never experience it.

Guys, I am not saying get the C4 beam plates to gain 2-3 car lengths, I was just thinking out loud. Something else must have happened. I must be learning to shift a bit quicker or something. However, after feeling the before and after I think realistically you could probably get a car length in the 1/4 simply because the power is being put down more efficiently. I don’t it is fair to compare an airfoil to these. :boxing

As far as my friend's Cobra goes, I am waiting on him to race another guy again where he beat him by about a car when he was stock. That will tell the real story. BTW, he never said he was spinning. He would probably want to use that excuse. :D

[Modified by ericcer, 9:19 PM 12/27/2001]
Old 12-27-2001, 11:17 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Of course your GS does have the 300 rwhp but am wondering if you have ever done a 1-2 or 2-3 powershift. That is where it will happen. If you don't drive aggressively then you will never experience it.
Yeah...I have a little over 300 RWHP. I do hit 1-2 and 2-3...not to mention 3-4 pretty hard. It breaks traction on 1-2 all the time and 2-3 99% of the time and 3-4 depending on the road. My old IROC (with less than 300 RWHP) would kick to the side pretty good under a hard 1-2 shift and slightly under 3-4. I shift my GS under a higher load at a higher RPM. The car is solid and straight as an arrow. Its not because I'm easy on it. :blueangel:

I was amazed at how straight the car tracks under power. When I first got it, I just attributed it to the independent rear. My LeMans and all of my previous cars were live axle and would kick to the side.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:27 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Mr Dave, I figure there has got to be some other condition involved here. Maybe low mileage cars are still real tight and track straight? Is your car a low mileage car?

I seem to remember reading about some guys vette beam bolts were loose when he checked them and they would loosen back up after he tighten them. Mine were tight though. There has got to be a reason why were experiencing a difference.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:39 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Sorry dude....87k miles on this baby (and counting). :)

My bolts were tight as well. I've had the rear out twice and the trans was replaced before I bought the car at 47k miles. Bill has emailed me and I promised to take some extra pics when I take the rear out again in the next few weeks. Everything was a nice tight fit everytime I have had it apart. Maybe some cars are a product of all the wrong factory tolerances. Maybe I have all the right tolerances. Who knows? Like I said though...if your car doesn't do the side step, you can't fix whats not broken. :)

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Beam Plates - my impressions

Old 12-28-2001, 12:04 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions (bogus)

I hate this anticopyright crap that is going on. Great way to cut down free advertising from people who know
http://www.nospam.com then put /billb.html after the .com part... :rolleyes:
Old 12-28-2001, 12:26 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I bought these plates and Im happy with them as far as quality goes and etc.If it made my beam stiffer, I cant say for sure...Im hoping it did and will under hard accel.
But I didnt buy it thinking Id gain faster track times or something.

They also help make reinstall of the beam a much easier job,and future removals will be easier.When youre doing your own repairs at home on your back under a car on jack stands,things can get tiring and very little work room as well.That was a deciding factor in buying them,since you no longer need to get a wrench on top to hold the nuts to tighten or loosen.While i wont be taking the beam out every month,its knowing its there for any jobs that also mattered to me.

A little expensive,yes.But I figured I spent money on worse things before and these will always be on the car.All that beer money is wasted.
:)

Old 12-28-2001, 09:49 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Re: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions (Bill's86Coupe)

I have heard from more than 1 ZR1 owner that these plate's worked out very nice on their car's. Mine are waiting to be installed.
PS: I work in the textlie industry.

Quick Reply: C4 Beam Plates - my impressions