C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Perf. Issue/Shutoff, Re-Start and is good...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Hwy St*r
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Perf. Issue/Shutoff, Re-Start and is good...

On a cold start the car ('87 4+3 coupe, stock) runs terrible. Performance is down, gas mileage is down (11-14 mpg), exhaust is louder + deeper, idle rough. Once car hits operating temperature if I shut off and restart it runs OK, gas mileage returns 24mpg, performance returns, exhaust quiets back down to normal rumble. Now car on cold start will fire right up as usual but quickly dies. Sometimes takes 2-3 restarts to keep running. Occasionally getting a hiccup while accelerating. Prob not as bad as weather gets warmer. Any suggestions as to where to start looking? Thanx in advance for help!

-Pete.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:32 PM
williammackean
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07

Ohm your injectors cold, then warm. 14.5 +/- 1 is normal.

Check timing warm and cold. 6deg is normal.

Cold start valve may be stuck 'on.' It should shut off after a minute or two. I don't know how to test this.

Any codes?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Hwy St*r
Racer

my friendly neighborhood mechanic that's been servicing my car told me the codes indicated a distributor problem. He replaced the module with absolutely no change. a few months ago my hood cable stretched beyond wokability and I had to have it replaced. Work was done by Corvette Paramedics in NJ. At the time they told me that the previous owner had installed an aftermarket alarm that was not currently functioning and the wiring was all around the old cable. They suggested removal of said unneccesary wiring which they did and then the car would not start requiring them to 'restore' ignition wiring to original. The current problem started not long after that and was very sporadic at first but now it's usually every day at least once a day. Any suggestions? Car is my daily driver and this is driving me nuts.

Thanx,
-Pete.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Hwy St*r
Racer

ttt anything? ...is this thing on?

Get notified of new replies

To Perf. Issue/Shutoff, Re-Start and is good...

Quick Reply: Perf. Issue/Shutoff, Re-Start and is good...