C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight Problem. Not bushings or gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Mileage
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Problem. Not bushings or gears

My 90 headlights seem to open and close fine but after they close they make a clunking noise. Sometimes it starts immediately and sometimes after several minutes. Upon the advice of another thread, I replaced perfectly good bushings. The gears in the motors also looked fine. By unplugging one or both motors I can get it to change or quit. Any suggestions or troubleshooting guides that I might check? Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Dis-connect the power, and rotate the assembly with the manual turn ****. See if you can feel the hitch.

Only thing to do after that is disconnect the armature linkage, and rotate the headlight while free of the motor linkage, and see if the kink is in the light assembly, or the motor assembly.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Also, be sure the motor halves are bolted together properly. The slightest crack can cause the problem your car is experiencing.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Mileage
Intermediate

shrade, They close all the way and whenever I have turned the ***** they rotated smoothly. I can try cranking them through the full arc.
onedef92, The motor halves were tight when I disassembled them to install the bushings. I tightened them back.
As noted they seem to open and close okay, just start jostling after they close. Sometimes several minutes later.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Mileage
Intermediate

My headlights now only open automatically. I have to close them by turning the motor *****. I rotated them by hand all the way and they were smooth. I unplugged them and hit the connector with 12V. One polarity made them open and the other closed them. They worked smoothly all the way. I am thinking it is the control module. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:44 AM
DANSURE1
Advanced

Default Hard to guess at it?

Originally Posted by Mileage
My headlights now only open automatically. I have to close them by turning the motor *****. I rotated them by hand all the way and they were smooth. I unplugged them and hit the connector with 12V. One polarity made them open and the other closed them. They worked smoothly all the way. I am thinking it is the control module. Any other suggestions?
My be the switch,I'm sure you know with one jumper wire and a GM Manual you can Diagnosis the proplem. I have 1990 had trouble with the Doors but not the same, Had to have the Manual.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Problem. Not bushings or gears

Quick Reply: Headlight Problem. Not bushings or gears