C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New Radio with existing Bose speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Whitecloud
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Radio with existing Bose speakers.

I am going to by a new radio with CD and iPOD front adapter. Crutchfield said all I need to do to use my existing Bose Speakers is to use the Scosche OEM Amplifier Adapter. Item #142C4GM01 Anyone ever go this route and how did it go?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 377 Likes on 312 Posts

I used an adapter like that for the same issue and it worked fine.

You may want to get the adapter for the radio to use with normal speakers as well in case you scrap the Bose system and use better/newer components.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Whitecloud
Pro

Yeah, the more I think about it, I think I will go ahead and just get an entire new system. Not impressed with the sound at higher levels with the current setup. Makes more sense to do it once and do it right.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 377 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by todds87dream
Yeah, the more I think about it, I think I will go ahead and just get an entire new system. Not impressed with the sound at higher levels with the current setup. Makes more sense to do it once and do it right.

Run a search on the entire c4 section for something like "sub". There have been some awesome threads on subs in different parts of the car. Checking the audio section may also be of worth. I always wanted a nice system in the 'vette but removed everything as extra weight and decided to build up a system in the shop. Since I work on the car all the time.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Yellow2015
Pro

You wouldn't put an lt1 in a chevette, why put a new head unit in with the old bose. If you're going to do it, do it right and all the way.........My Sony head unit and Infinity speakers make my bose sound like a transistor radio.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Johns87
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,
I didn't use the adapter but did work thru it to use the Bose system.

I have since upgraded speakers and components.
You'll be happier to upgrade ALL at once.

Take Care, Be Safe and Good Luck, -John
Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
IFIXBIGPLANES
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would update everything. be ready for a whole lotta fun. im in the middle of changing the whole stereo and speakers out. make sure you have all the right adapters before you start. the bose system isnt anything like any other gm. ive been sent the wrong wire harness adapter twice. even after i specified that i have a 91 vette with the bose system. i finally decided to wire everything up myself. it sounds so much better than the stock system. i need to run my antenna wires, gps and ipod wiring now, then mount the radio. its worth doing everything.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 PM
msaporetti
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Added a new Pioneer Double Din unit. Love the radio with the USB and Sirius but now the sound sucks. They put on a Bose bypass and are powering the speakers with the deck. Now it sounds flat. The speakers bottom out and I lost all the highs. I guess I need new speakers. The Bose sounded grrrreat before the new deck now the sound sucks. Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.

Mike
Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by msaporetti
Added a new Pioneer Double Din unit. Love the radio with the USB and Sirius but now the sound sucks. They put on a Bose bypass and are powering the speakers with the deck. Now it sounds flat. The speakers bottom out and I lost all the highs. I guess I need new speakers. The Bose sounded grrrreat before the new deck now the sound sucks. Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.

Mike
You can't run the Bose speakers without the proper adapter, and expect great sound. Bose use's a 1 or 2 ohm speaker, not a good match for a 4 ohm head unit.
If they actually bypassed the Bose amps, than that is the problem. Do away with the speakers and move on.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:25 AM
msaporetti
Instructor

Default Bypass

Yeah,

Originally they charged me for a Bose adapter but then they noticed a whine noise so they shut down the bose amps and went with just the head unit powering the 4 speakers. I see what you mean about the ohm thing. Im not a big audiphile but I can hear the difference. I was totally happy with the 1996 Bose Sound but I guess that is gone for good. Hell the new satellite radio module they installed sounds like mono sound. This is a premier radio place but geeez they aren't used to working with Bose I guess. So some good speakers with this radio should get me the quality of Bose sound?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:20 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

The adapted would have given you better sound then what they did. If you replace the Bose w/ some good speakers, I am sure the sound quality will be even better then before. Check out the C4 FAQ in the Audio section, good info there on replacing the Bose systems in our cars.

Good luck, Randy
Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 AM
UnderPar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the adapter/bose speaker combo first, it didn't sound good, so I ended up replacing all the speakers with alpine. Now it sounds awesome.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by todds87dream
That's the best way to go. The blose system is pretty crappy and the adaptors make them sound even worse. An aftermarket system will sound 10x better. Plus, you can sell the blose crap on ebay and offest the cost considerably.

Get notified of new replies

To New Radio with existing Bose speakers.

Quick Reply: New Radio with existing Bose speakers.