C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I Freakin' Hate RODENTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I Freakin' Hate RODENTS

So, I left my car parked outside my house for the last 2 months or so. Been too busy to get back to finishing the exhaust. I figure it's a nice warm day today, and I'm off work, so I call my buddy over to help me out for the day. I unlock the door to jump in and pull it around onto the lift, and the stench nearly gags me. Turns out something decided to up and die in my car sometime in the last couple weeks. To make matters worse as I'm pulling it around with the roof off and my head out the window, two of the live mice jumped out of nowhere and scared the crap outta me almost making me hit the garage wall. One of them is STILL in my car cause even with both doors open revving the engine he won't leave. There are 4 traps in my car right now trying to catch him.

So, I spent ALL DAY of my day off wading through the stench to find the rodent carcass in my car. Take out both seats? Nope, not under there. Pull up carpeting? Nope, still wrong. Oh no, it can't be.... THE DASH??????

Yep, a quick sniff around confirms it's in my dash. So off comes all the trim, the dash pad, the console cover, etc, etc. Found a HUGE nest behind the breadbox. Carpet padding, seat foam, twigs, etc, etc, and one large dead mouse. It was so decomposed it had leaked a big puddle of mouse goo into my dash which dribbled over the front once the breadbox was out.

So, several rounds of Simple Green and orange scented cleaner and my car still reeks. There's still atleast one living irritating creature running around INSIDE THE DASH (I saw him run up there), and my whole interior is torn out. Merry FREAKING holiday weekend.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:02 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, that sucks! Mouse-removal mojo.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Alan777
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When you get everything cleaned out, I'd get an ozone treatment done. It helps remove smell, then lay down anti-bacterial spray. A 2 hour treatment will leave the car fresh smelling, as long as the source of the smell is gone.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:32 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You just reminded me to go out and put some Irish Spring soap shavings in my Maxima, which sits all summer. Effin' varmints!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:10 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

John,
I feel your pain, I had a rat living on my intake for a couple of weeks, until I saw the "presents" he left behind. I was lucky he did not eat any of the wiring; does everything work on your car? better check out the heater/AC.
Randy
Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Oh man,that sucks for ya big time...but I did chuckle a little when you said the mice spooked ya...just trying to get some humor into there for ya.

When I worked at a dealer,this was a common problem for alot of cars.
One of the mechanics had to clean out chopped up mice parts when a customer brought a car in for the complaint.The mouse made a home inside the blower fan motor area,and when the customer turned on his a/c,Im sure the mouse did not run inside the wheel very long.

It was really nasty and smelled soooo bad.I know the smell of dead mice and the tech that cleaned out the blower fan housing was gagging the whole time.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

Received 94 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'08-'09

Damn that just suck!
I've had my trouble with mice over the last few years too.

I pulled a large nest out of my wifes Quad a few weeks ago, it was inside the belt drive. When I started the bike and tried to drive it I grinded up the mother and all 5 of her babies into mouse goo.
What a F'n mess.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
Damn that just suck!

I pulled a large nest out of my wifes Quad a few weeks ago, it was inside the belt drive. When I started the bike and tried to drive it I grinded up the mother and all 5 of her babies into mouse goo.
What a F'n mess.
Oh man... I cant even visualize that.

Least it wasnt a cat though...my friends cat got inside his 70 Vette in front of the engine fan,and when he started the car,cat went everywhere.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 PM
vetteset8087
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off the subject but a friend of mine got divorced his ex wife got his 70 Cuda before she picked it up he squirted elk scent under the seats in the dash in the trunk heat vents everywhere well 3 or 4 years pass by and they get back together and he gets the car back he said that even after all that time when the car gets hot inside it still smells like ****
Old 05-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Klondike
Team Owner

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

OH MAN, that sooooo stinks I can almost smell it through my computer. I'm going out to 'treat' my car in the work garage as soon as I can get there ! I've heard that if you put cotton ***** soaked with peppermint oil in your garage it will keep them out. I don't know how strong that smell is though; I wouldn't want it to keep me out too. But damn.....a dead rodent, that's a nasty smell
Old 05-26-2008, 11:54 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,338 Likes on 675 Posts

Sorry about your luck, that sucks... I absolutely hate mice, they give me the ******.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:54 PM
A1775GRUNT
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vetteset8087
A little off the subject but a friend of mine got divorced his ex wife got his 70 Cuda before she picked it up he squirted elk scent under the seats in the dash in the trunk heat vents everywhere well 3 or 4 years pass by and they get back together and he gets the car back he said that even after all that time when the car gets hot inside it still smells like ****
Wrong,wrong,wrong . funny but wrong!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:10 AM
schrade
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
Damn that just suck!

What a F'n mess.
Skip one week lubin' the chain.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 AM
schrade
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aggravated4life

Least it wasnt a cat though...my friends cat got inside his 70 Vette in front of the engine fan,and when he started the car,cat went everywhere.
Oh - I can hear the sound of music!

Just a few quick notes tho'.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:21 AM
combustables
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So seriously, and sorry for the mess you have, how DOES one make certain those little f__kers don't get into the car? What can you put in or around the car in a garage oe even outside to keep them away?

Good luck and it sounds like you'll have a good working HVAC after you finish !
Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I haven't tried the HVAC controls yet. The engine runs and the headlights work, so atleast it moves

He wasn't actually in the heater vent (fortunately). Just living behind that stupid breadbox in this big empty cavity. Now I need a breadbox-delete kit 'cause I broke the breadbox getting it off (kinda on purpose). Now I gotta find that last live one and get him out. I put a package of sticky traps throughout the car, we'll see if that snags that mouse.

I think mothballs keep mice away, but then your car smells like mothballs. I think I'm just gonna keep some sticky traps in it when I park it for the winter and check it more frequently...
Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

That sucks !! How do these guys get in ?? I've read numerous post about rodents, but still don't know how they get in. I have seen no place big enough for a mouse to get in.

Get notified of new replies

To I Freakin' Hate RODENTS

Old 05-27-2008, 12:37 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Go to any farm supply store and buy some mouse killer called, "Havoc", this stuff makes Decon look like bubble gum.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Damn! You need a cat badder'n a ****!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:12 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I've got one to beat all of you...

NOT Corvette related, but good.

Had an RF-4 at our base in Austin hit a vulture in the front camera window @ 400 knots. Took out ALL of my camera equipment and sprayed the camera bay with goo.

Think middle of the summer in Texas...aircraft is in impound for 3 days and the damn thing is sealed up.

THEN they want me to go get (what's left) of my stuff out of the thing.

In the end, they opened up ALL the panels, took a fire hose to the camera bay and left it open for a week to dry. I was SO happy when that bird went down in West Texas (thank God the crew was fine), as it never got the smell out of it.

Quick Reply: I Freakin' Hate RODENTS