C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gasket replacement + a few pics...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector assembly complete...

...and ready to bag.

I haven't ohm spec'ed yet; unless one of 'em is WAY off (which isn't likely since it was runnin' fine), all 8 are goin' back in.

28 hours in now, give or take :30.

The intake is in the performance shop, should be ready tomorrow. The lifter valley will see the shop vac tomorrow too
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by schrade
WD is just while the bolt goes back into the hole to keep them and the bolt itself clean.

I got the intake bolt holes clean, and when it goes in the tank, I DO NOT want anything settlin' in the holes.

At re-assembly, I use anti-seize with copper almost everywhere, except gaskets. They get a thin layer of grease, like the rubber TB diaphragm post #23 pic 1.

PIC 3 post 28 ... Does the EGR gasket have metallic heat paste, or somethin' like that, between it and the intake? Ya' think thread anti-seize #13 with copper will work as well?
You need to apply liquid teflon to the intake bolt threads upon reassembly or oil will wick up the threads and onto the intake you just cleaned.

Gaskets should be installed dry. Front and rear intake "seals" are RTV. As another poster mentioned, "The Right Stuff" truly is the best RTV to use for the ends.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Thanks '96........

You think it's not good to give the intake-to-head gaskets a thin film of grease? I did that on the '87 TPI, and I had no problems...

I got the intake back from the shop. They pulled the bolts that I asked them NOT to, but they still feel grit-free, after I had already chased the threads. No damage there I guess. They didn't pull the baffle from underneath, or the PCV valve either

So I went back to the car wash, to get the carbon jam and cleaning residue left inside, and stuck the wand inside all the ports again. I'm glad I did.

Lifter valley clean-up - the worst.

Vacuum the intake ports; close 'em up with paper towels....
Attached Images    

Last edited by schrade; 05-29-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
geist
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
You need to apply liquid teflon to the intake bolt threads upon reassembly or oil will wick up the threads and onto the intake you just cleaned.

Gaskets should be installed dry. Front and rear intake "seals" are RTV. As another poster mentioned, "The Right Stuff" truly is the best RTV to use for the ends.
Liquid Teflon eh? Guess I need to get some of that. Would that also be good to use on the water pump bolts?

Need to get some The Right Stuff too ... aka The Expensive Stuff. Intake / Valve Cover / Oil Pan gaskets all supposed to be dry I think, but what about the timing cover gasket, is The Right Stuff good to use on the Timing Cover?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:53 AM
schrade
Safety Car

Originally Posted by geist

I heard here that dish soap is best for the orings... I had used motor oil in the past but apparantly thats bad.
Liquid soap turns to glue when it dries. That's one reason they use it for window tint, and also for mounting tires on a rim, but where there's lots of HEAT, I don't know what happens to the glue - like at the injector O-ring. Maybe it stays gummy and keeps the seal better.

But also ya' gotta' remember, the upper and lower rings do entirely different stuff - upper for gasoline and positive pressure, lower for air vacuum and negative pressure.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:16 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by geist
Liquid Teflon eh? Guess I need to get some of that. Would that also be good to use on the water pump bolts?

Need to get some The Right Stuff too ... aka The Expensive Stuff. Intake / Valve Cover / Oil Pan gaskets all supposed to be dry I think, but what about the timing cover gasket, is The Right Stuff good to use on the Timing Cover?
Yep, use for the water pump bolts as well. It comes in a tube, Permatex and others sell it. GM sells it as well but as you'd expect the tube is sized for shop use not the DIY'er...ie it'd last most people a life time
Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Thanks '96........

You think it's not good to give the intake-to-head gaskets a thin film of grease? I did that on the '87 TPI, and I had no problems...
There's no reason to apply grease to gaskets.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
There's no reason to apply grease to gaskets.
I suppose...

I just cannot put stuff together dry. That's how they do it in Detroit, and it's not wrong, I just don't thinks it's best.

Jaguar long ago used to buy auto trannys from Ford for their Jag's. First thing they did was break 'em down, and re-assemble them properly with all the same parts (a few models did get hi-po mod parts).

I'm chasin' bolt holes in the block now. All holes are open underneath, except each end hole, so they'll drain the jam onto a paper towel. I did them the same way I did the intake holes, except for the end holes. Run the bolt thru twice, rinse the bolt in gas, pump some spray lube into the hole.

The end holes needs more spray to blow up out of the hole the jam that's in them. Catch the overflow with a paper towel to stop it from runnin' into the valley.

When cleanin the matin' faces, I highly suggest a toothbrush to clean the debris from the head-to-block joint, at the valley end. If there's any grease jam in there, RTV and a gasket probably won't seal it.
Attached Images   
Old 05-30-2008, 02:28 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I suppose...

I just cannot put stuff together dry. That's how they do it in Detroit, and it's not wrong, I just don't thinks it's best.

Jaguar long ago used to buy auto trannys from Ford for their Jag's. First thing they did was break 'em down, and re-assemble them properly with all the same parts (a few models did get hi-po mod parts).
Maybe that's why Jag's have so many problems and one of the worst resale values in the market.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:59 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

You going to do any upgrades while your in there? or keep it stock?

Just pointing out it would be an excellant time.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Maybe that's why Jag's have so many problems and one of the worst resale values in the market.
This was 25 years ago.

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
You going to do any upgrades while your in there? or keep it stock?

Just pointing out it would be an excellant time.
I haven't decided yet. It's not a DD, so I'm open to suggestions. Cash ain't really a problem either; it's just that everything was workin' fine. Clean burn, good mileage, etc, and I don't need tons of power.

This is chasin' the last corner hole, and halfway through a TOTAL dry fit, no gaskets...
Attached Images   
Old 05-30-2008, 03:47 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

I wouldn't use Jaguar to illustrate quality, especially "long ago".

The end seals are RTV on the LT1/4. Put a little grease on those gaskets and what do you think will happen to that RTV? It won't stick. Now what happens.....leaks at the corners.

You do what you want. In a year (or sooner) you can post about the intake oil leaks.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:04 PM
schrade
Safety Car

The dry fit is done - no gaskets, no hard connections (two weather connectors for electricals snapped at the lock tab), just a few bolts. Everything fit clean, no grit.

I haven't figured how the bracket sits yet by the EGR-to-intake inlet, and I missed a pic of it. Anybody?
Attached Images   
Old 05-31-2008, 06:36 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

This help?
Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Thanks there C4DC

Your stuff looks as clean as ttx6 too. How do you keep it clean? Is that a LT4?

Got me out of a slight jam there. I couldn't lock down the first 8 bolts, and leave two out in the corner. So says the manuals, about torque sequencing???

At any rate, the total dry fit was good.

Sinking the injectors into the injector ports was tedious. I had plenty of Trans-X on the O-rings, and in the injector port walls. They were still tough, and even after workin' each rail back and forth a little, the didn't sink totally until after drivin' the four rail bolts. Even then, I backed up the bolts a little, then worked the rails again, AND ROTATED THE INJECTOR BODY back and forth a little, just to make sure the O-rings were seated AND NOT BINDING.

The intake seated good. After gettin' it into place, I lifted first the front end of it, dropped it, and then the back end of it - maybe a 1/16", just to even up the RTV.

I put Trans-X on the rubber V/C gaskets, just to soften 'em up, and not install dry. Minor mistake - Trans-X softens rubber, and swells it too. I had to work it to make sure it stayed in the groove because of how much it swelled (that's what makes it good for O-rings).

More pics tomorrow, if anybody wants any more. Sound off.

Last edited by schrade; 05-31-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:11 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Glad I could help. Yes, I have the LT4, Lots of simple green and rags and it is easy to keep up after that with an occasional clean up. Mine is actually pretty dirty and needs a little tlc to keep it really clean. The sand and dirt really build up in all the crevices under the fuel rails.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C4DC
Glad I could help. Yes, I have the LT4, Lots of simple green and rags and it is easy to keep up after that with an occasional clean up. Mine is actually pretty dirty and needs a little tlc to keep it really clean. The sand and dirt really build up in all the crevices under the fuel rails.
Looks good.

Don't you worry about the opti seal?
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 PM
schrade
Safety Car

I fired the motor after changin' the oil, cause of the gas leak.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1565722623
(I highly suggest makin' sure your gas lines are SECURELY capped off - 65z01's idea is best I think).

It fired right up, but was stumblin' and the fan came on too. The check engine light fired immediately too, and I was tryin to think of the coolant or fan connector I missed. I barely touched the WP connector puttin' back the serpentine belt. Then I remembered . I turned it off, disconnected the battery, and plugged in the 2 connectors on the air inlet hose. It re-fired smooth as ever.

I got a few wisps of smoke at the block behind #7. Either it's solvent and sludge that didn't run completely off the back of the block. I saw no oil drippin' onto the ex manifold, and am hopin' no harness loom is cookin'.
; It was just a few wisps.

The TPI I did several years ago was a miss cause of the CSI not seated, and one loom was too near the EGR pipe that didn't have the insulatin' sleeve replaced yet.

So it's shut off to see if old jam is just cookin' off. Fingers crossed
Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Fired it again, and no smoke. It had to be some buildup on the back of the block.

Quick Reply: Gasket replacement + a few pics...