C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rebuilding TBs tomorrow-Input???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuilding TBs tomorrow-Input???

Hey,Smelled pretty strong gas smell from the air intakes (with the hood up) & the car takes a few cranks to turn over after sitting.I hear a TB rebuild can help this. (fuel pressure bleed off?)So, got a dual TB rebuild kit from Standard. Am hopping to rebuild tomorrow.I plan to clean them carefully with carb cleaner & a tooth brush.I take heed not to soak the bod or any rubber or plastic parts. Any input?

Last edited by Tominator; 04-25-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I think what you have is fuel injector leaking causing fuel pressure bleed down.
In which case pulling the injectors and sending them off to Rich at Cruzinperformance to be rebuilt would be a cure.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Thanks!I was living in denial on that, but your probably right. I'll have to check it. What's the ballpark $ & turn around?
Old 04-26-2008, 12:29 PM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tominator
Hey,Smelled pretty strong gas smell from the air intakes (with the hood up) & the car takes a few cranks to turn over after sitting.I hear a TB rebuild can help this. (fuel pressure bleed off?)So, got a dual TB rebuild kit from Standard. Am hopping to rebuild tomorrow.I plan to clean them carefully with carb cleaner & a tooth brush.I take heed not to soak the bod or any rubber or plastic parts. Any input?

I had the exact same problem a couple weeks ago. (there is a posting here somewhere). It was my IAC. Put on a new one and cleaned everything in the TB and it started right up and runs fine. Don't forget if yours has an Opti to drain the coolant down first, otherwise alot comes out the coolant hoses running under the TB.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:25 AM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

You didn't mention what year or how many miles. Rich at Cruzinperformance will redo injectors for all years, except the multecs which were in 88-89. It sounds as if you have a leaky injector, but rebuilding the throttle body wouldn't hurt.

Clean the throttle body using throttle body cleaner, and not carb cleaner. Having some pipe cleaners would make the job easier. There are alot of posts on the IAC that you can refer to. Check the IAC's pintle for contact-wear. If you elect to change out the IAC, the pintle has different shapes, so match them up.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you check his profile it says he has a '84. He's talking about rebuilding the TB's on the crossfire which have an injector in each one. It probably wouldnt be a bad idea to replace them during the rebuild.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Tominator
Drifting

Default Thx feedback on TBs...more?

Team:

Thanks for the input. As the car only has 24K, so I am thinking likely not the IACs (idle air controls). As the are $80.00 each, I am hoping to diagnose before changing parts. I guess I need to start with a pressure gauge & go from there? Any good Throttle Body diagnose resources, books?

Last edited by Tominator; 04-27-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck on the tur bo repair.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding TBs tomorrow-Input???

Quick Reply: Rebuilding TBs tomorrow-Input???