C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

location? headlight relay...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 PM
dukecebrelli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default location? headlight relay...

I don't have my chilton handy- the headlights wont turn on- all fuses look good- I think the switch is ok- before this happened they would work for a while- after some time of driving they would flash- someone told me it might be the headlight relay

...anyone know where the headlight relay is located?
(1987 htch bk)
Thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 06:56 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The FSM for my '88 shows no headlight relay, only a circuit breaker in the light switch.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:59 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Leave the Chiltons under the tire to keep the car from rolling and get yourself a FSM. The headlight relays, there are three of them, are under the relay cover that covers all three of them on the front of the left front wheel well. "Someone" should tell you that the headlight relays are only to power the headlight actuation motors. The head light bulbs are powered directly by the headlight switch, through the dimmer switch. If the headlights have been flickering, chances are you have a short in a headlight wire and the flickering was the breaker blowing and resetting. I'm guessing it is time to break out the old DVOM and go short hunting. You may have to replace whatever it is you burned up, if anything, by not fixing it sooner.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:14 PM
TPIGUY
Advanced

Most GM light switches have a thermal circuit breaker built into or mounted on the switch. A high current draw (short) will cause the bi-metalic strip to curve, turning off your lights. Once the strip has cooled, your lights will come back on. This was GM's idea for "limp home head lights" You may have a short it your headlight wiring, indicated by the lights staying on for short periods of time. If they stay on longer, it's probably time to replace the switch. They get old and worn out like the rest of us>
Old 04-04-2008, 07:39 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Headl...0Foglights.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Headlight%20Doors.pdf
Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 PM
SportsCarsUnlimited
Advanced

Originally Posted by dukecebrelli
I don't have my chilton handy- the headlights wont turn on- all fuses look good- I think the switch is ok- before this happened they would work for a while- after some time of driving they would flash- someone told me it might be the headlight relay

...anyone know where the headlight relay is located?
(1987 htch bk)
Thanks
Check the headlight grounds, these are for the lights only not the opening or closing of the headlights, there on top of the frame rails between the headlights and the radiator on both sides. There's a 10mm bolt holding them down. If there not opening or closing check the relays, there's a main and a left and right relay. if your having the same problem with both sides check the main relay.
David
Old 04-04-2008, 09:24 PM
SportsCarsUnlimited
Advanced

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Leave the Chiltons under the tire to keep the car from rolling and get yourself a FSM. The headlight relays, there are three of them, are under the relay cover that covers all three of them on the front of the left front wheel well. "Someone" should tell you that the headlight relays are only to power the headlight actuation motors. The head light bulbs are powered directly by the headlight switch, through the dimmer switch. If the headlights have been flickering, chances are you have a short in a headlight wire and the flickering was the breaker blowing and resetting. I'm guessing it is time to break out the old DVOM and go short hunting. You may have to replace whatever it is you burned up, if anything, by not fixing it sooner.

RACE ON!!!
Hello CFI-EFI
(Leave the chiltons under the tire to keep the car from rolling)
I could not of said it better, Why do they sell those crappy books. I use the GM service manuals only, They cost a lot more but tell you what you need to know.
David
Old 04-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Harryscarlot
Racer

those Chilton books are good for showing you where to locate the battery, or how to change your wiper blades
start a campfire with it
Old 04-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I don't have my chilton handy-
Your problem is obvious your reading the wrong book
Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Chilton and Haynes books are best used as an emergency backup paper supply for the outhouse.

CFI-EFI is correct. As long as the headlamps are rotating up and down, the relays are fine.

FWIW, the relays are still available as an AC Declo part. There are two different relays used. There is a relay for each of the headlamp motors and the 3rd one is an isolation relay which changes the polarity of the motors so that they run backwards when lowering the buckets.

Headlamp Motor Relay: GM p/n 10031018
AC-Delco p/n: D1784

Isolation Relay: GM p/n 10039962
AC-Delco p/n: 15-2386
Old 04-09-2008, 07:27 PM
dukecebrelli
Advanced

thanks a lot guys! New switch it is... as for the chilton... I really did use it to sop up some spilled beer last night
Old 04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

thanks a lot guys! New switch it is... as for the chilton... I really did use it to sop up some spilled beer last night
STOP!!!

Don't just run out and buy a head light switch. It could be just fine. You may have an over load, or a shorted wire blowing the breaker. Now that we've told you how it works (available in the FSM), it is up to you to do the final diagnostics.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:25 PM
dukecebrelli
Advanced

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
STOP!!!

Don't just run out and buy a head light switch. It could be just fine. You may have an over load, or a shorted wire blowing the breaker. Now that we've told you how it works (available in the FSM), it is up to you to do the final diagnostics.

RACE ON!!!
ok- newbie question here.... what is FSM?
Thank you for the info everyone
Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

ok- newbie question here.... what is FSM?
Field Service Manual is published by HELM and provides mechanical & electrical information on your particular Vette. It is THE service manual to own when doing any work on your Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To location? headlight relay...

Quick Reply: location? headlight relay...