C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Saggy Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
colin84vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saggy Headliner

My Headliner in my xfire when all saggy while in storage any tip to fix this
Old 04-01-2008, 04:41 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's what I did a few months ago to my saggy headliner:

With a box-cutter or similar, cut the fabric at the edges. Basically, do your best to remove all the headliner without gouging into the surrounding plastic too badly.

Then, go to Jo-Ann Fabrics or anyplace like that, and get the most similar material you can find. Basically, black (or whatever color yours is) and a bit stretchy.

Clean up the disintegrated foam and adhesive from the now-bare top, and get it nice and smooth so the new headliner will stick to it. The easiest way to work on this is to put the top upside-down on a table (of course use a towel or something to prevent scratching the paint).

Get a can of 3M Spray Adhesive, and, after cutting a rectangle a little larger than your top, coat both the top and the fabric with adhesive. Then stick them together, push the fabric as far down into the corners as you can, and let it dry. Once dry, go back with a knife and cut the fabric about 1/4" - 1/2" larger than the covered area. Once you've done this all around, use a credit card, screwdriver, whatever, to jam the fabric down into the edge where it should stay put.

Long I know, but that's pretty much all I remember about doing mine. Not too bad of a job, and about $10 total is much better than what it would cost for a shop to do it.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:49 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

I did mine myself...Bought the material at an apolstery shop...It was almost a perfect match & bought a can of 3m glue...easy project!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing I forgot; if your headliner is still pretty stretchy, you don't have to replace it; you can just reglue it. Just cut 3 of the 4 sides, lay it over the edge, and do the cleaning and spray the adhesive, then just relay it over the top and tuck it down into the edges.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Not too expensive to just get the right material.....$13.50 A SqYd. I can't see you needing more than one SqYd....

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/h...k_material.htm
Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 AM
vertigooo
3rd Gear

The headliner is attached with velcro. If headliner material is in good condition you can reglue. What I did was remove the headliner from car, carefully peel back the material. When off use a nylon brush to remove remnants of foam backing from material and headliner board. When regluing I used 3m spray on both material and board, let sit for a minute to become 'tacky' the put on. This was for an '84, other year may be different.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:15 PM
colin84vette
Advanced

Thanks i'll have a go at it this weekend

Get notified of new replies

To Saggy Headliner

Quick Reply: Saggy Headliner