C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OEM Plug Wires or After Market Wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Plug Wires or After Market Wires

Is there really a difference in performance with after market wires? OEM is 7mm and most after market is 8mm and up.

I understand there is a difference in the outer insulator that withstands the heat better, especially with headers, but performance?

I have Borg-Warner SuperMax 7mm on the car now...it has the same wire characteristics the 8mm up wire has, wrapped this and twisted that, etc. All claim theirs is better. I'm looking for performance.

What say you?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 AM
PurtyLilC4
Instructor

depends on what your trying to feed, if your running stock engine/stock ignition about the only thing you pick up is possibly some improved combustion.

On the other hand, if your running say an ignition box, hi po coil, cap, rotor, ignition module, then stock wires become the 'bottle neck' so to speak of the system because they do not support the full potential energy of the system. This is where the 8+ mm wires help, they allow you to get maximum potential from your system.

So basically, the only time your really going to see any improved performance is if you have the rest of the hi po ignition parts to go with it.

On a stock engine, a nice set of 7mm wires will easily support the system.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The aftermarket wires should have less restance than a stocker, for better electrical flow, and some should be better insulated against heat and shield EM interfierence better.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Most after market wires may need different looms to hold them if they a larger. They are snake oil IMHO just for looks. Your only gain may be in after market coil (MSD)to fire the plug at higher voltage even then it is not noticable. stock coils do wear out sometimes.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

My post was late and I was very tired. I should have given more info.

'94 Vert - LT4 Hot Cam Kit, homemade cold air induction thru upper radiator shroud 6"x14" filter (stock lid and filter in place also), ported stock heads w/ 1.6 ratio roller rockers, stock valves, MSD Pro Billet distributor, new AC Delco coil and ignition module, shorty headers, stock exhaust, etc. Will have a pcm4less tune after engine work is finished.

I guess what I was really asking is the center conductor larger than the 7mm wire set. I know the outer diameter is 8mm+.

The Borg-Warner SuperMax 7mm's on the car now looks like the same exact construction pictures as the 8mm + wire sets. So is the dielectric just larger or also the conductor?

Thanks guys.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:27 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i favor the MSD superconductor not so much for their performance as their design. they don't leak, the clip right, they are very resistant to grime and oil and take enough that most wires would have failed and began arcing. don't get me wrong, the performace is 1st rate but they quality is also very very good.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:00 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You have a MSD Pro Billet distributor instead of the opti? Did GM down size the wires when they went to the opti with the LTx engines? Stock GM ignition wires have been 8 mm ever since the HEI first came out in the mid 1970s, including through all the L98 production. I'm surprised if they down graded the wires for the LTxs. Your Borg-Warner SuperMax wires are all you could possibly want, especially if they are the spiral core wires. Mostly, all you get with a bigger diameter wire is more insulation. Contrary to most dreams, the spark at the plug isn't any "hotter" with a fancy ignition system, than with stock.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:39 PM
lenbal
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 95 Lt 1 6 speed

hi
im getting ready to install a new exhaust - headers back - so putting on 8.5 mm wires, new plugs ( Bosch Double Platnum) , stock distributor cap and rotor- yuck gunna be a tough job -- any secrets to make it easier, but perfect outcome-- my motto is "if your gunna do do it right the 1st time" any one see some thing I missed - oh yeah new fuel filter, belt.

Apprecaiate in advance any input and help

Len

Last edited by lenbal; 03-23-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Darn i need pic of car but weather has been horrible
Old 03-23-2008, 06:15 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I used the red LT4 wires, they worked find.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
You have a MSD Pro Billet distributor instead of the opti? Did GM down size the wires when they went to the opti with the LTx engines? Stock GM ignition wires have been 8 mm ever since the HEI first came out in the mid 1970s, including through all the L98 production. I'm surprised if they down graded the wires for the LTxs. Your Borg-Warner SuperMax wires are all you could possibly want, especially if they are the spiral core wires. Mostly, all you get with a bigger diameter wire is more insulation. Contrary to most dreams, the spark at the plug isn't any "hotter" with a fancy ignition system, than with stock.
RACE ON!!!
Yes, the '92-'96 LT1 OEM wire set, AC Delco 708W, is only a 7mm wire as is the Borg-Warner CH-7842 SuperMax replacement wire set. But the Borg-Warner set is a spiral core wire like the MSD wire. I can't see paying 122$ for a set of 8.5mm MSD's.

The Delco wires looked like a New Years display under the hood in the dark and though silicone, they burned easily due to the headers heat. And you can't use the original wire separators and none of the after market ones work right or look right on a stock engine bay.

Last edited by Eddie & the Cruisers; 03-23-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lenbal
hi
im getting ready to install a new exhaust - headers back - so putting on 8.5 mm wires, new plugs ( Bosch Double Platnum) , stock distributor cap and rotor- yuck gunna be a tough job -- any secrets to make it easier, but perfect outcome-- my motto is "if your gunna do do it right the 1st time" any one see some thing I missed - oh yeah new fuel filter, belt.
Apprecaiate in advance any input and help
Len
If you are replacing the opti cap and adding 8.5mm wires, replace the OEM Opti with an MSD ProBillet. Better construction and performance and is vented better with positive clean air in and vacuumed out to the intake manifold.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Port A Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eddie & the Cruisers
If you are replacing the opti cap and adding 8.5mm wires, replace the OEM Opti with an MSD ProBillet. Better construction and performance and is vented better with positive clean air in and vacuumed out to the intake manifold.

The MSD designers moved the fresh air intake to the top of the distributor and the wiring harness is integrated as they deleted the connector at the distributor. I also recommend the MSD Opti upgrade. After changing to the MSD my milage has improved and the car runs alot smoother.

Larry
Old 03-23-2008, 08:46 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe that Hypertech needs bigger wires for all the power it generates.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
Maybe that Hypertech needs bigger wires for all the power it generates.
I have read this thread over and over. Where did you come up with a Hypertech being used?

Funny thing is that I DO have the Hypertech program but for resetting the fans on-and-off at a lower temperature w/ 160* t-stat, setting the correct tire size, shift points on the A4 trans and a few other things I don't recall right now. It did wake up the '94 LT1 stock engine. Now with the performance upgrades, I will get it tuned by mail or dyno.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:27 PM
racebum
Race Director

MSD wires for $122? did you call summit? can't remember what i paid but i could swear it was 70ish. basically there are many good wires and as long as they don't get soaked with grime and leak you probably won't notice any difference.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racebum
MSD wires for $122? did you call summit? can't remember what i paid but i could swear it was 70ish. basically there are many good wires and as long as they don't get soaked with grime and leak you probably won't notice any difference.
Jegs or Summit cost $121.99 and $121.49 in that order.
These wires are MSD #32173. They are completely assembled, no cutting and making up one of the ends. I wouldn't use the ones you have to assemble, that's looking for a bad connection from the beginning or after awhile.

An AC Delco set of performance wires from GM Parts Direct even cost more.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 AM
racebum
Race Director

honestly i prefer the cut your own style, you get the wires just the right length and they cost less. plus, crimping wires is really easy. cut open an old wire sometime and look at how it was assembled. basically you cut a ring around the jacket letting you pull the shield off exposing the core, wrap the core under the wire, attach your end and crimp. that's pretty much all that's done at the factory. snap-on has a really neat little tool for this that lets you make them spot on.

Get notified of new replies

To OEM Plug Wires or After Market Wires

Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

honestly i prefer the cut your own style, you get the wires just the right length and they cost less. plus, crimping wires is really easy. cut open an old wire sometime and look at how it was assembled. basically you cut a ring around the jacket letting you pull the shield off exposing the core, wrap the core under the wire, attach your end and crimp. that's pretty much all that's done at the factory. snap-on has a really neat little tool for this that lets you make them spot on.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie & the Cruisers
I have read this thread over and over. Where did you come up with a Hypertech being used?

Funny thing is that I DO have the Hypertech program but for resetting the fans on-and-off at a lower temperature w/ 160* t-stat, setting the correct tire size, shift points on the A4 trans and a few other things I don't recall right now. It did wake up the '94 LT1 stock engine. Now with the performance upgrades, I will get it tuned by mail or dyno.
I'm the John Edwards of Corvettes. I got it from your profile, where else!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This is my prefered method, too. I bought a high quality crimping tool for spark plug wire crimping. I also used all 90 degree boots on the plug end of the wires as they offer better clearance from the headers. MSD connectors are great.

Quick Reply: OEM Plug Wires or After Market Wires