C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

The infamous AIR FOIL - THE GOOD THE BAD THE UGLY

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Fastmax32168
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What the airfoil will do is add about 30 CFM to your throttle body due to the improved entry ramp in the center.
Whether or not it will add any HP depends on if your engine needs the additional 30 CFM.
I would think in a stock or near stock motor it will do absolutely nothing as some have said.
If however your motor can use the extra CFM then you should see a slight increase.
Roy
Old 03-19-2008, 08:02 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

[QUOTE=Calderone;1564603821]Its worth ??
Do the air foil really adds Hp ?
Has the Air foil destroyed your engine ?
from the TPIS Insider hints ....
the airfoil was tested for hours ...and increase almost 13 hp..
is this poor advertisement ???????
worthless garbage ???????

Please tell us all about the AIR FOIL
You'll be the judge !!!!!!
thanks ! [/QUOTE

I've got one. I love it. Its a paper weight and a conversation piece. It sits on my desk next to the computer monitor.
I think its chrome and looks good (clients always about it).
Buy one or a couple of them.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:15 AM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll can the airfoil, but many garner much respect for TPIS and their suggestions - they were mentioned in a couple threads yesterday. So, they know their engines, but pump up their claims - I find it a little convoluted myself. http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module...ake+Components "This piece is the reason this catalog exists". And the debate rages on. You guys can tell me whatever you want in regard to worthless mods, and I'll stick to they all add up. BTW, relocate your IAT and run her down the track, then run it from the stock location, on the same day, same track, hell, same lane even, engine same temp, and tell me you don't see a difference. Your time slip will tell you, especially you auto guys with TC's that are consistent.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:43 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

TPIS has some very good products, but everything they publish is written to promote those products. I only believe 1/2 of what I read anyway. I have their intake and headers on my C4.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problems I see with some of these things include:
An air foil destroyong a motor can only happen if one doesnt use lock-tite on the bolt and tighten it down.

H.P. gains can only be determined by the use of a dyno and consistant test conditions.

IAT/MAT relocate on a MAP/SD stradegy car will change the fueling based on temperature, which means that all the tables (mat vs mat and mat inverse look up table) will NO longer compensate properly for temperature changes. The effect of the re-locate allows the MAT sensor to "see" a lower temp. and through calculations of the ECM (using the"look-up" tables) will add fuel (richer, by design for lower operating temps. in C.L.) globally. Most will use these tables to get the tune to stay consistant in all weather/temp. conditions. I used the re-locate because of the lack of ports available in the intake, which I then had to go back through those tables for temp. changes/fueling.

Last edited by mseven; 03-19-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 AM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

I wish I could have remembered all the details about it when Myron came and spoke to our group. But I do remember him saying that they sell enough of them that it keeps the lights on.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BAM92
Why do all the aftermarket tb's have them built in?
Because they smooth the air down. You won't notice a thing on a stock L98 pig. On a modified motor, a fogger system, or anything forced induction they help.

We're talking 10% of the cars on here, not 90% wax n shine. If the car is stock, save your money. If you don't understand why air flows around a foil with less resistance than into a cup, well, go back to high school.

-- Joe
Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

A real test may show up in a datalog. My 87 moves air at a max of 230 gps. Thats with the airfoil that I bought in 96, when everybody had to have one. If it ever stops raining maybe I will take it out and run another datalog.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 AM
jan-erik
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.
In a stock TPI engine it does not help much as the throttlebody is good enough. But in an engine where the throttlebody is limiting the airflow you will gain what they say.
This means you will have to modify your engine with heads and also from airfilter, plenum, runners and intake manifold.
If you do not have those mods an airfoil only will let the air in without turbulence around the throttlebody
Old 03-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've generally avoided these threads because they usually turn into a yelling match.

It's one of those little things that you can install, and will never feel a seat of the pants rush with. Why do you think intake manifolds employ air horns inside? Any flat surface has the potential to create turbulance. Especially in a forced induction environment.

If you slap an air-foil on a stock engine you are not going to shave a half a second off your quarter mile time. But as part of a larger upgrade it's not going to hurt and may pick up a few ponies.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Contrary to what everbody else tells you on my 355 with a stock throttle body I picked up 9 RWHP with the air foil installed in back to back dyno testing. I was making around 425 engine HP so maybe that accounted for the large increase, I do not know what it will do on a stock engine.
I would be willing to bet another variable such as temperature accounted for that increase
Old 03-19-2008, 01:50 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 467 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ZR1
I would be willing to bet another variable such as temperature accounted for that increase
The dyno is corrected to SAE standards and would have compensated for any changes.

On my dads completely stock 1994 LT-1 Firebird, the airfoil picked up 6 RWHP in back to back testing. Before was 242 RWHP and after was 248 RWHP.

These were the observations, and I believe the airfoil is worth the 50 bucks it costs.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:19 PM
gslotman
Racer

$60 air flows better than regular un-air foiled air

...a stock engine can only digest as much as its VE and flow dictate - LT-1s are about 604 CFM at 6200 RPM and not a puff more. The only thing the foil might be good for is straightening out that very same air flow -

SOTP = 0
HP = 0
TQ = 0

Save your rmoney and send it to my charitable cause (I'll invent one),
but wait !! - if you act now well send you 2 air foils

One for your blender and one to tape to your forehead to assit you getting to those staff meeting and (perhaps ) filling out those TPS forms quickly........
Old 03-19-2008, 04:00 PM
BAM92
Safety Car

Originally Posted by anesthes
Because they smooth the air down. You won't notice a thing on a stock L98 pig. On a modified motor, a fogger system, or anything forced induction they help.

We're talking 10% of the cars on here, not 90% wax n shine. If the car is stock, save your money. If you don't understand why air flows around a foil with less resistance than into a cup, well, go back to high school.

-- Joe
Joe, I was being sarcastic. In my Vette, when I first bought it, I put airfoil in and cut the airfilter lid. Never felt a thing. But, when I put it into my ram air Trans Am LT1 also, it DID have better throttle response. Hell even my wife who now drives it the most, noticed a difference. Hp gained, no clue, throttle response, definitely.

Quick Reply: The infamous AIR FOIL - THE GOOD THE BAD THE UGLY