C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Width of early C4 rear ends, dimension needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 02:23 PM
FastC4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Width of early C4 rear ends, dimension needed.

Does anyone know the width accurately of outside rotor hub face to rotor hub face, when the half shafts are parallel to the ground? This is the first point the wheels mount. I need this to determine maximum wheel/tire clearance under a different body. Knowing the wheel offsets won't help in this situation, as this is a different body. The rear assembly is from a 1987. I have ball parked at 62-1/2 width to wheel mounting faces (same points as described above), but the shafts are not parallel. Anyone have an accurate dimension? Needs to be accurate within 1/8 inch, as I am going for maximum tires.
Old 12-06-2001, 05:54 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Width of early C4 rear ends, dimension needed. (FastC4)

I just went out and measured my '86; I get 58.50" outer-rotor-face-to-outer-rotor-face (where the pads rub). That's sitting at normal height; full fluid load; no driver.

Can't measure where wheel bolts on, as my wheels are bolted on... :D

Update: My parts book says '84 - '87 rotors are the same; so you can pull the wheelface to rotorface measurement from yours to check my specs...

...Or email me Sunday morning; I'm pulling the back wheels/rotors off to check my rear brakes...

[Modified by Rich B., 4:57 PM 12/6/2001]

[Modified by Rich B., 5:27 PM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 07:13 PM
FastC4
Intermediate

Default Re: Width of early C4 rear ends, dimension needed. (Rich B.)

That's helpful, thank you. The outside rotor pad surface to the rotor hub face is 1.75/side, so your measurement would bring the wheel mounting surfaces up to 62" with no caster change.

Anyone else have a measurement with the axles parallel to the ground?

My wheel opening inside lip to lip on the body is 72" +/- 1/2 inch depending where I measure. The installation of my tires upon the wheels puts the tire 4.25 per side from the wheel mounting surface. At 62.5 inches, that puts me at 71 inches to the outside of the tires, too close for comfort. At your measurement of 62 inches, putting me at 70.5, I'd chance it. Going tomorrow to have tires mounted on the rims if I think it will work. Would like to get a few more measurements.

Get notified of new replies

To Width of early C4 rear ends, dimension needed.

Quick Reply: Width of early C4 rear ends, dimension needed.