C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

any hints/tips on using plastigauage tape for rebuild clearances ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:09 PM
prism_kiter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any hints/tips on using plastigauage tape for rebuild clearances ??

hi there fellas,
just wandering if any one can help advise and give any tips on using Plastiguage tapes when measureing crank and rod bearing clearances please when building engine??
any do,s or donts ??
is it accurate ??
thanks

Last edited by prism_kiter; 02-29-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Vetracr
Pro

You lay a strip of plastigauge longitudinally on a dry crank or rod journal, install the cap with bearing insert and then torque the cap to spec. You then remove the cap and read the width of the compressed plastigauge to determine the clearence. The plastigauge package has a ruler like table you lay against the plastigauge that gives you the clearence. Plastigauge works but for real accurate results I use Micrometers and a bore gauge on my race engines.

Larry
Old 02-29-2008, 04:52 PM
prism_kiter
Instructor

hi larry,
how are ya!
ok thanks for the tips and reply!!
so do you use the green,blue or red plastiguage tape ??,as i have brought all three.
i heard you use the green one ??
i also heard typical oil clearance range is from .001-.0015 ??
thanks

Last edited by prism_kiter; 02-29-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just make sure that you lay it down on the crank straight and uniform thickness before you torque down the caps.

It's good enough to get you within a tollerance range.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:04 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetracr
You lay a strip of plastigauge longitudinally on a dry crank or rod journal, install the cap with bearing insert and then torque the cap to spec. You then remove the cap and read the width of the compressed plastigauge to determine the clearence. The plastigauge package has a ruler like table you lay against the plastigauge that gives you the clearence. Plastigauge works but for real accurate results I use Micrometers and a bore gauge on my race engines.

Larry
Originally Posted by Bad Karma
Just make sure that you lay it down on the crank straight and uniform thickness before you torque down the caps.

It's good enough to get you within a tollerance range.
Very good answers. Use a little WD 40 to clean it off when you are done. I have put together 10 small blocks, maybe more, using it and never had a bearing problem.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 AM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Make sure the Plasticgauge you buy is BRAND NEW prouduction or as close as you can get. That stuff will change it's hardness over time, espc if its exposed to extreme temps one way or the other and that will affect the way it crushes causing not so accurate measurements.
Will

Get notified of new replies

To any hints/tips on using plastigauage tape for rebuild clearances ??

Quick Reply: any hints/tips on using plastigauage tape for rebuild clearances ??