C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

project AWD daily Drivewr went awry somewhere..lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:43 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default project AWD daily Drivewr went awry somewhere..lol

hey guys,

I know this isn't the vette, but it is finished and in tuning now. car pulls like a freight train under boost and is an absolute dog off boost.. it is just so fun put her in 3rd and mat it around 3000rpm... bog, bog bog bog bog..wham...30 pounds of boost starting at around 4900 and peaking at 5500 and holding to 9000rpm. hahahahahaha I LOVE AWD!

so anyways, even though it isn't the vette, I know all you boost junkies like turbos and blowers and I figured I would post this up. my projects always take alot longer then most because I seem to get overinvolved in all the little things and have to try and make it as perfect as possible. so without further ado, here is a snapshot of the engine bay.

using DSMLink which is the tuning software and ECM chip, it is calculating in tuning right now right at 601.2 crank HP at 30psi with timing tuned EXTREMELY conservative at 15 degrees. this is on 110 octane leaded racing fuel from the friendly neighborhood Citgo gas station. I am waiting on my 5bar AEM Map sensor right now as we have maxed out the GM 3.5" corvette MAF and the 3 bar GM MAP sensor we are using is also flatlining at 30psi.. so beyond this point we are flying blind until the new 5 bar arrives and we can continue turning the wick up on it.

end goal is 42psi on 118 octane leaded and a 75 shot of nitrous. power goals as of now are between 750-800 AWHP.. out a 124 cubic inch engine.. gotta love boost baby!

I will get some dyno video of it this weekend and some in car tuning runs maybe tomorrow evening if anyone is interested to see/hear the ramp up of this GT4088R DBB turbo..lol

enjoy!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

That is sick power from such a small motor. Nice work! Did you do the intake yourself?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only 800? well there's always teh outline interchangable GT4094R...lol J/K Its beating on those lttlecars +subies that got me all revved up on AWD. They are jsut soo fun.
with a 300hp jump in just 1000rpm you need the awd!lol
Old 02-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

You can drop 600-800rpm off the boost threshold by building the poor man's VNT. (another wastegate blocking half the tangent)
Im going to do one on the GXP when it graduates to the GT40+ frame size.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice job Chirs!!

I'm actually picking up my Evo 8 tonight. After I pulled a rough 1.8 60' on a test drive in the RAIN! I knew I needed to get it. I'll post up a pic of it as soon as I get it. It'll be my winter beater/kid hauler car.

AWD is a great thing, just make sure you keep that engine together. Did you O-Ring the block or is that a normal head gasket? 40psi sounds disasterous.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

For those motors Brian its the norm. Studs and MLS gaskets nothing special. I have been told that they start flattening the hell outta rod bearings around the 50psi mark. There is an Evo that runs around here with a 708awhp from a AMS 2.3 I think he runs 30+ psi on pump gas and meth.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

the motor is built to the hilt.. MLS racing gasket, oringed block, JE pistons, Eagle Rods, forged crank, ARP Studs.. etc etc etc.. the car was built with 40 pounds on the brain...lol

EVO 8 Nice car man!! they don't replace the vettes but it kinda gives a glimpse into another realm of power... definately and educational journey and a fun one but I still love the vette with boost.. my GSX feels more like a go kart rather then a car.

BTF, lemme know how gates works out! and if you have any 94 upgrade components laying around.. the little 88 front section on my car feels kinda wimpy..lol

I will try and post up some short video clips tomorrow evening, I have an ARC-2 ignition on the way for it as well as the 5-bar map sensor so we can pass the 30 pound mark where the GM MAF is starting to break up and the GM 3 bar flatlines.. both should be on the car tomorrow evening and then some late night tuning runs on the 118 is in order with the wick turned up!

can't wait to see what she actually puts to the ground on the new AWD dyno here in town and then maybe sunday to the track to see if I can squeeze off some low 10's in the 140's out of her!

Chris
Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

somebody will be callin sheperd for a trans soon....
Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

hahahaha.... i doubt it, we built the tranny ourselves and it would already be considered a stage 2 tranny with welded center Diff., new synchros and bearings, new shift cables, bushings etc etc.. and I don't plan on putting slicks on it.. I have nitto Neo Gen's on there now, 8" rims in the back with 225/45-17's and 7" up front with same.. long story but 8" ers wouldn't git up front.. she rolls out good.. I found another 92 rolling chassis in black with no rust or dings for 400 and will hopefully be going to grab it in the next couple weeks..then gotta swap everything into it and send it to paint and she should look like a new car. the entire driveline is NEW and upgraded, we had front and rear subframes out blasted, etch primed and painted, poly graphite bushings EVERYWHERE, new tie rod ends, new ball joints, I converted it to a manual steering rack from a 1.8L non turbo car. new transfer case rebuilt rear end new axle boots etc etc.. new wheel bearings at all 4 corners as well as full brake overhaul including new brake lines throughout the car.. she is in mechanically NEW shape.. just gotta getb the new body painted and get the interior ship shap and she will look and drive like a new car plus 650 hp or so..lol

CHris
Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

freakin sweet! I'll ask if the 94trim compressor&housing are a bolt and balance on that turbo.

sounds like one mean DD
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

LOL, its nice to work on a car that has all of the aftermarket goodies out there doesn't it?

No more building parts from scratch and using yourself as a guinea pig. Once the formula is drawn out and proven all you have to do is follow it.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

ah hell, even though there were parts available, the price tag was ridiculous.. the only nice thing was the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold.. the rest of this puppy was custom tig'd by me along with brackets and catch cans and evac system which you can see the lines from the valve cover going back to the catch can on the firewall then I used the syphon tubes in the exhaust to scavenge crank case blow by.. seems to be working VERY well.. these cars are notorious for leaks from big boost pushing oil everywhere and I have ZERO leaks to date and oil level holds very well.. the catch can needs to be emptied about every 3-4 nights after our tuning session but thats going out and beating the hell out of the car.. so it is doing its job and I put baffles in the catch can to keep the oil vapor/mist in there rather then have it go out with the exhaust.. seems to be working very well, no oil leaving the suction side of the catch can and about 5-6 oz. of oil every few nights from hard running. I say winner!

Chris
Old 02-29-2008, 07:30 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

nice setup mate! are you still on a 2.0 bottom end?? be nice to see what a 2.3 could do with that turbo! there is an Evo in sweeden thats building a 2.6 ltr (102mm crank) with a 4G64 block. should be pretty inpressive!

Forget the GT4094 BTF. Chris NEEDS to stick a GT42 on there! Norris Designs has vids showing just how fast they can get them to spool in a 2.3 Evo. full boost by 5K! and if you think the 2.3s cant rev, RC developments over here reved their 2.4 (101mm stroke i think) to over 9700rpm!!

anyway, really nice motor mate.

Chris.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:20 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Here's some pics of my new AWD car. I wasn't able to get some shots last night so these are the ones that the guy selling it sent me. Lots of fun, but just doesn't quite have the top end pull that the vette does. Perhaps its from only haveing half the horse power I think it'll make a decent daily driver though.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Chris,

thanks for the kinds words! this is more of a fun sgtreetb car then all out drag car evn though its hard to interperet it that way..lol My good friend here have plenty of these cars which is one of the reasons I grabbed this one to play around with, and one of them, John, has a GT4202R on his built 2.0... he and I are both of the same school of thought.. its fun to see what you can do with a 2.0. his stock .020" 2.0L with that monster turbo on it is seeing full spool by 6100 and he is running some 280/280 Brian Crower cams in it with all the rest of the supporting goodies... hopefully while he has it in paint we can makes some cool stuff under the hood to clean his up like mine some but we are shooting for some low 9's high 8's from his 5 speed car. its a hoot!!!

CHris
Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Brian,

thats SWEEEEEET!!! Great looking car! man I am soo sorry now I just sold my first turbop from my car that I bought for it, you would have absolutley loved it!! It was a direct bolt on mitsuflanged internally gated and everything, even have a 3" downpipe that bolts right up to it. here are soem pictures of it below. It is what they call a GT14 (GT3076R DBB Garrett) with the S compressor cover. I just sold it for $850 and was asking $1k for it and the downpipe it is practically NEW. I also have some 720 cc injectors for the car since I went to 1200cc's.

I love the Yellow on that car man and it has some nice touches as she sits.. the rbakes, the rims.. very cool!!! how much fun is driving that bad boy around?lol

CHris

Old 02-29-2008, 09:52 PM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, very cool!!!!!!!!! That will make an awesome daily driver!

Get notified of new replies

To project AWD daily Drivewr went awry somewhere..lol

Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Brand-X
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default .

That looks like alot of fun!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Hey guys.. forgive the ugliness of the car, but I need to swap the driveline into another chassis I am trying to purchase. but here are some videos from the track yesterday.

not a clean pass all day due to tuning her in. this is at mid boost level ~28-29psi with a very conservative timing curve, think around 15 degrees max timing still.

we had to make adjustment to the transmission shift cables and to the clkutch which was not fully disengaging, we got her pretty squared away but ran out of time to try the finished product as the track was shutting down when we were ready to make a full blown run.

forgive the camera work, this was my Girlfriends first time filming the races and it was done on a regular camera, not a video cam.

Enjoy.. the car is an absolute blast!!

DSM vid 1

DSM vid 2
Old 03-03-2008, 02:42 PM
oldasdirt78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
That is sick power from such a small motor. Nice work! Did you do the intake yourself?

it looks like the magnus, I owned several awd dsms before moving to RWD they are nasty little machines and will hand you your *** ofr under 4000

Quick Reply: project AWD daily Drivewr went awry somewhere..lol