C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

remote thermastat

Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 AM
sp361t
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default remote thermastat

when doing a remote thermastat with a LT1 intake convertion what all is involved? is there cooling issues with doing this? who all makes the housings?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we did this to a customer car, it involved tapping 2 heater hose fittings into where the the water ports would be for the waterneck on stock SBC intakes. The remote tstat housing would be located on the side where the 2 hoses from the intake would connect to it and the larger hose port of the remote tstat housing would connect to the top radiator hose. We welded up the stock LT1 bolts holts and redrilled it for a regular SBC intake pattern. For the distributer, we had to weld a spacer on the intake so it would sit correctly as a stock HEI would on a regular intake. We got some hoses and some fittings to adapt on as it would be on a factory setup. That's all I remember for now. I know the intakes cost $150 off ebay, but there was 8 hours of labor the customer didn't like. It took a lot of trials, measuring, effort and patience so it would have been better for him to have went with a used Miniram. Not exactly the most cost effective mod, unless you have all the time in the world to do it the right way.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sp361t
when doing a remote thermastat with a LT1 intake convertion what all is involved? is there cooling issues with doing this? who all makes the housings?
www.lt1intake.com They say they will modify a customer unit for $200 IIRC. Check out their price list. There are other mods required.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
sp361t
Instructor

i have a intake with a Distroutor hole already cast into it and drilled for a vortech head but no t-stat housing. thats what i need to figure out how to handle the t-stat, from what you said it sounds like the easier part of the job. i would like to use the miniram but it will not fit under a 1990 corvette stock hood but that was my first choice.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you looked at his price list?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would like to use the miniram but it will not fit under a 1990 corvette stock hood but that was my first choice.
Um no, the Miniram WILL fit under the stock hood. It is actually a few inches lower than the stock TPI intake. The Miniram might be a better choice, but since you have your mind set on getting the LT1 intake to work, I'm not gonna suggest dropping it. If all you need to do it drill the intake so you can fit the 2 ports required for the remote tstat housing, then I say, it would be easier if that is all you need to do.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 AM
86GoldProject
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a intake with a Distroutor hole already cast into it and drilled for a vortech head but no t-stat housing. thats what i need to figure out how to handle the t-stat, from what you said it sounds like the easier part of the job. i would like to use the miniram but it will not fit under a 1990 corvette stock hood but that was my first choice.
you have an lt1 intake with a dist hole cast into it?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Originally Posted by 86GoldProject
you have an lt1 intake with a dist hole cast into it?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 PM
sp361t
Instructor

yea im not sure what it is i found it at a swap meet for about $100. its pretty neet its about 1.5 -2 inches taller than a stock LT1. It might be like a GM ram jet i dont know for sure. Thats intersting though i was told that those minirams would not fit unde the hoods i guess i was informored wrong
Old 03-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Who all makes the housings?
Weiand.

They do not currently show images at their site but here is a link
to the page lilsting the available P/N's.

Weiand Remote Thermostat Housings

The 7132 has two 1/2" inlet ports. The 7134 has three 1/2" inlets.

Be aware that for some reason, the 7132P is CONSIDERABLY more
money than either the 7134WIN (Satin) or the 7134P (Polished).

Old 03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
sp361t
Instructor

that looks perfect thank you thats the last piece of the puzzle well as far as the intake goes lol
Old 03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
www.lt1intake.com They say they will modify a customer unit for $200 IIRC. Check out their price list. There are other mods required.

I don't think he's operating anymore...doesn't answer emails etc. I've heard the original dude sold it and the new owner doesn't do anything wtih the website.

yea im not sure what it is i found it at a swap meet for about $100. its pretty neet its about 1.5 -2 inches taller than a stock LT1. It might be like a GM ram jet i dont know for sure. Thats intersting though i was told that those minirams would not fit unde the hoods i guess i was informored wrong
HSR (Holley Stealth Ram) will not fit under stock hood of a C4 (w/o major modification). Miniram, Superram etc. do fit
Old 03-05-2008, 11:13 AM
86GoldProject
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pictures please! I'm sure someone here can tell ya exactly what ya have if ya post 1

Get notified of new replies

To remote thermastat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: remote thermastat