C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

think i got hosed on some used window regulators...w/pics...help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting...windowreg.html
When it comes to changing the pass side wiring, swap them around in the connector. Kevin cut and taped his, more work than swapping terminals. Unlock the flap on connector, then use a brad nail or whatever to push into terminal to release it from connector. Once you look into the connector, you will see the barb that locks behind shoulder in connector.
I used a piece of masking tape at both ends of window to ease the alignment process. Bottom of tape was flush with the rubber on door weather strip. I also marked a line showing the inward ends of the rubber. When it came time to align the window, I just adjusted the glass in the up postion to my tape and marks on tape. Worked great !!
I'll post a few pics tonight, got to get back to my vette projects.

Last edited by AGENT 86; 04-29-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:46 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Originally Posted by jhammons01

Here is one thing I discovered, the old ribbon style regulator has studs that fit through some inner part of the door at the top. That inner part of the door is riveted in place and to get the regulator out you would need to drill out all of those rivets and then replace them with more rivets or get nuts and bolts to remount that inner piece. Probably a good 45 minute job if you had everything you needed

or

grab those studs with a pair of channel locks and twist them until they break.

The new regulator has screws that go down through that inner part and nuts are tack welded on the inside of the regulator.

shortened the job by about an hour I suppose.
I didn't have to do that. I just unbolted it, tilted the forward end up to the top and pulled it out.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^huh! I guess the later models they changed it. Mine had studs sticking up through the slots......no way to tilt anything more than what the slots would allow.

twisted those studs right off....then it was as you described.

as far as alignment, on the inside where no one will ever see, I took red primer and hit a few key points. I've line up the window back as close as I could with the paint marks for a guide. So far the test have been very good. I don't have the top on it right now, I guess I better check how high it is going before I put it all back together.

I'm looking at that red lock piece without much enthusiasm....

Last edited by jhammons01; 04-29-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Mine have studs on top too. I think you gave up too early. If you tilt the forward part of track, up, the studs come down. Then it's a little wiggle and flex and out it comes.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:56 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

All buttoned up, but the Lock buttons don't work....damn...I'll have to open it back up.

I guess I did give up too soon, I just looked at that, wriggled it a bit, didn't see how it would move any.......twisted studs are still kinda fun for me...

Thanks for your usual help
Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

How do you like your new found speed ?? I'm loving mine.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

it is nicer to have that thing roll up like a normal car. That crawl is kinda aggravating....and one of those things that don't stick out unless it is wrong.....In other words no one is going to come and say, "Hey those are fast C4 windows." But I guaranty someone asked you what was wrong with the old slow ones......never fails, when it is right no one notices, when it is wrong every one notices

BTW, did you do both sides or just one?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:37 PM
RED UFO
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4Ownr24
So I picked up 2 used regulators on ebay for $125, to do the conversion on my 85. What a steal, right? Take a look.

Aren't they missing something? IE the other rail and the part that actually holds the glass to the regulator? Does anyone know where I can get that stuff individually? Ugh.
I am an former glass shop owner. You have a window regulator. When I replaced one for a customer what you bought is what I replaced and use the parts still attached to the glass. If you have no glass they yes you need more parts but they don't come with the regulator.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:32 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Originally Posted by jhammons01
it is nicer to have that thing roll up like a normal car. That crawl is kinda aggravating....and one of those things that don't stick out unless it is wrong.....In other words no one is going to come and say, "Hey those are fast C4 windows." But I guaranty someone asked you what was wrong with the old slow ones......never fails, when it is right no one notices, when it is wrong every one notices

BTW, did you do both sides or just one?
True, and yes, I did both sides.

Quick Reply: think i got hosed on some used window regulators...w/pics...help?