C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HPS or Ceramic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:48 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently put HPS pads on my LT4 and can't think of one negative thing to say about them. In fact, I was also on the fence between the ceramics & HPS and, after opting for the latter, hoped I'd find that I made the right choice.

Well, they've now been on the car for a couple thousand miles and it's clear, for my needs, the right choice was made. The HPS's have exceeded my expectations: They perform exceptionally well (esp considering they are marketed as more of a low-cost performance pad), seem to wear at a reasonable rate, leave minimal brake dust & I've heard absolutely ZERO squealing since day one.

IMO the HPS's perform just as advertised and, for the type of spirited street use/abuse that my car mostly sees, have proven that they are more than up to the task. And as a rule, when it comes to my car, I don't usually (if ever) go the cheaper, more sensible route but...

Bottom line, although there are advantages to ceramics, I can't imagine a street-driven C4 needing more from a brake pad than what the HPS can deliver. With that said, when these pads are "dust", I'll be putting on another set of the same.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2008, 03:07 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

HPS are great brake pads. They aren't real dusty either; a little more than ceramics but they grab better. The pedal is very linear helped by ss lines. The BSI package I installed with slotted zinc washed rotors and Hawk pads are a huge upgrade. My previous Raybestos parts were junk. EBC Greenstuffs were filthy. Put 'em on!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:51 PM
wrw7255
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the Hawk HPS pads and they stop me like a brickwall. So much better than from whatever was on there when I bought the car. I haven't ever used ceramics so I couldn't tell you if they stop better than the HPS but I sure can't imagine it being any better. I drive a couple of thousand miles a year and really haven't noticed very much dusting. I'd buy the Hawk HPS again without hesitation.

Quick Reply: HPS or Ceramic?