C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My throttle body is sticking at part throttle on the freeway....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default My throttle body is sticking at part throttle on the freeway....

It's like the cruise control is on but it isn't. It only happens when I'm at a steady throttle position for quite a while and after the car is warmed up. The throttle body to my knowledge is an AS&M. It has the plaque on the throttle body so I'm guessing that they just didn't toss the plaque on there since nothing else on the motor is AS&M. Anyway, anyone run into this before? The throttle body has about 23,000 miles on it. I didn't start noticing this until about 5,000 miles ago.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:28 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

I used to have this problem in my old IROC. There's usually one of 2 explanations for it:

The throttle return spring is worn out = replace it.

The throttle blade shaft is worn out of round, or the metal around the shaft is worn, causing a minute amount of wobble in the shaft, and causing the blades to get hung up in the bore of the throttle body.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
93-383
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't that mono-blade throttle body is it.

I recall thoes things had problems with sticking open due to a "wing" effect
Old 02-07-2008, 01:53 PM
JonnyAngle
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem... the throttle cable holder clips were broken and sticking to the bracket on the plenum. Hope that makes sense.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:33 PM
03SlowZ06
Advanced

Are you sure the actual t/b is sticking? I guess I am asking do you have to lift the pedal? If the pedal is not staying down with the increased rpm then I would check on the TPS. On after market t/b's they have a tendance to read incorrectly. You actually have to wobble out the holes and read the voltage out to get them set right. I am not sure why it would be such a delayed problem, but its another thought to consider.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:24 PM
bczee
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I also had a problem once (along with all of the other LOL).. I found that my rug or mat was causing pressure on the pedal and cause it to drag.. may not be your problem.. but its cheap to check it out and doesn't take much time...

If you blip the throttle by hand and it seem ok, but when you stab the throttle pedal, it sticks.. that it might be that by hand, it is quick and will slap the thottle shut.. but is slower using the pedal, check the cable and routing.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:06 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

to answer some of the questions, it sticks when it's at a steady rpm for a while. I'll let my foot of the pedal and it'll keep going at a steady rpm. I haven't noticed it sticking at anything more than a light throttle.

I do not believe that it is the monoblade throttle body.

I don't believe that the carpet is sticking because there is a decent amount of room between the pedal and the floor mat.

I will probably be replacing the tps in the near future. It seems like there's some dead spots in the pedal response. For instance, when preparing to leave a stop light from a dead stop, the response isn't linear. It causes the car to jerk a little at part throttle.

I'll try to check the throttle cable clips. I don't know much about them but I'll see if anything is immediately apparent.

thanks for the info!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Try some light machine oil on the return spring. Then work it by hand with engine not running some. I had this exact problem happen to me and all it was the return spring was binding and not allowing throttle plate to close. Worth a try. Good luck

Joel
Old 02-07-2008, 04:20 PM
87Beast
Pro

Mine got stuck a few years ago when I was cruising and when I let go of the pedal the engine continued at the rpm's it was at, I had to rev it a couple times to unjam it.
I just took the throttle body off cleaned it and sprayed some lube along the shaft/bushing area and have not had an issue since
Old 02-07-2008, 04:36 PM
bczee
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

You might just want ot take the Throttle Body off and clean it.. maybe there is carbon build up in the shaft bores or the IAC valve. It could be the Throttle is ok and that the IAC is making it run at a high idle. Get a scanner and monitor the TPS voltage.. should be around .54 closed.. if it is at .54v when this happend, you will know that the throttle is closed and something else is making the engine hold its RPM or High Idle.

If it is still on the engine, try some Seafoam spray and let it soak, it seems to do a good job of cutting the Carbon loose.

Last edited by bczee; 02-07-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My throttle body is sticking at part throttle on the freeway....

Quick Reply: My throttle body is sticking at part throttle on the freeway....