C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I got my serpentine belt on...here is my advice...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 PM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I got my serpentine belt on...here is my advice...

I'll sorta post this here as a tip for anyone searching in the future. When I asked, I got about a half a dozen different answers on the best way to do it. Some said to torque it from the driver's side, some said passenger's side, etc. Some said the last loop you put on when it's torqued should always be the alternator, some didn't.

I found this way to be easy on my 1994 Corvette.

1.) Unplug the sensors on the MAF assembly(two of them) and coolant sensor (one on the block near the bolt you torque with the wrench-it's a 5/8" btw). Also, get a serpentine belt tensioner-makes it much, much easier to torque.

2.) Undo the circular clamps and take off the MAF assembly (not the MAF itself-the plastic/rubbery part with the circular clamps at both ends-the MAF is in the middle of it).

3. Rout the belt and then do the torquing from the passenger's side. The last loop I did was the AC compressor-I tried the alternator like most suggested on here, but the AC comp ended up being much easier.

4. If you can get the belt almost on, but can't get the last loop on all of the grooves, just bump the ignition, but DO NOT start the engine. Just get it to where it turns over maybe once. That should put the belt on track-or at least it did with mine.

5.) Put everything back together.

Good luck.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Quiktrp94
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Told ya. Glad you didn't have too much trouble. Robert
Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Old 01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Old 01-30-2008, 11:26 AM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's how I did mine yesterday (far easier, I think)

Put the belt in your dryer for about 20 minutes. Take it out HOT and run for the car.

Run the belt the way it should through all the pulleys, except for the A/C.

Put the wrench on the tensioner pulley, and then use a breaker bar on top of that. (If you don't have one, try using the 'hand' end of the spare tire wrench that comes with your car. It worked perfect for me).

Pull as hard as you can on the wrench/bar, and then slip the belt onto the A/C compressor. It should go on without too much fuss if you do all of this quickly, while the belt is warm.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:44 PM
GS348
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pr1mu5
Here's how I did mine yesterday (far easier, I think)

Put the belt in your dryer for about 20 minutes. Take it out HOT and run for the car.

Run the belt the way it should through all the pulleys, except for the A/C.

Put the wrench on the tensioner pulley, and then use a breaker bar on top of that. (If you don't have one, try using the 'hand' end of the spare tire wrench that comes with your car. It worked perfect for me).

Pull as hard as you can on the wrench/bar, and then slip the belt onto the A/C compressor. It should go on without too much fuss if you do all of this quickly, while the belt is warm.
Huh.....that's a good one
Old 01-30-2008, 04:42 PM
j-wireman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pr1mu5
Put the belt in your dryer for about 20 minutes.
How did you explain the mysterious new odor and black marks in Mrs. Pr1mu5's clothes dryer?

I think you were on the right track, though.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess now we will here from someone who ran through the washer and installed it from underneath the car.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:33 PM
cmontel727
Racer

Took mine to the Dry Cleaners...Love the look of the plastic and the wire hanger
Old 01-31-2008, 12:19 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Well, this is an interesting tutorial. However, when I did mine, i did not find it neccessary to disconnect anything. I pried the tensioner, peeled the belt off from the a/c down to the crank pully. Worked the belt out from the small, very small gap between the pully and the frame. Put the new belt in the opposite order, bottom up. It took me longer to buy the belt than it did to put it on.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j-wireman
How did you explain the mysterious new odor and black marks in Mrs. Pr1mu5's clothes dryer?
Those came from his underwear.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 PM
Les 94 Comp Yellow
Instructor

If you will all look at the pulleys you will find that all the pulleys have a lip on the front of the pulley to keep the belt from slipping off except the idler or tensioner pulley. This pulley rides on the back of the belt qand has no lip or grooves on it. Just a smooth wheel with a spring tension on it. If you put the tensioner pulley last in the sequence of loading the belt you will find that it goes right on without any hassel or problems. Try it ...you'll like it. I do my 94 like this any time i have to change a belt and it goes on very,very easy.Les

Last edited by Les 94 Comp Yellow; 01-31-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 PM
96vetteLT4
Racer

i agree, the serpentine belt tool makes all the difference, it did take longer to pay for the belt than to put it on, i wish everything on my vette was this easy....G
Old 01-31-2008, 11:28 PM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Even with the tensioner tool I bought at autozone, I had to take the MAF assembly off. Perhaps different LT1 hoses, etc are different from year to year. There was not enought room on mine. The coolant and AC hoses got in the way on the drivers side. Even with the tensioner pulled all the way to the point it was touching the wheel well weather stripping, that wasn't far enough. I had the belt on in about 5 minutes when I took the MAF assembly off and torqued from the passenger's side. Man, I wish I had done that the first time.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
96vetteLT4
Racer

yea , its all about experience, once you do it the next time around its a lot easier. Most of the items on the C4 are that way. Certain way to do things and once you do it youre good to go....G

Get notified of new replies

To I got my serpentine belt on...here is my advice...

Quick Reply: I got my serpentine belt on...here is my advice...