C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 conversion from auto to 6 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 PM
01spirit
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 conversion from auto to 6 speed manual

Hey, I am new here but I just finished the conversion of my 85 vette from an 700r4 auto to a 6 speed ZF transmission.

Wow, what a difference. I highly recommend.

Please note I had previously upgraded my rearend from the Dana 36 to a Dana 44. Failing to do this will just cause more headaches down the road.

It was fairly straight forward.
1. I purchased the complete swap from Fparts on ebay. Expensive but I got everything (they forgot to send the spacer for the clutch master, but they did send when I asked about it).
2. The clutch pedal install is actually pretty easy. I alloted an afternoon but I had it completed in an hour or so. (Be sure and get the correct pedal assy, I thing they changed in 88 or 89)
3. The starter interupt wiring from the automatic shifter connection needs to be extended to the switch on the clutch pedal assy- use your FSM, in the back there is wiring schematics.
4. Note that the pressure plates from 86 and up will not work on the 85 (two piece main seal crankshaft vs 1 piece crankshaft). I put a new GM short block that had the one piece so I had no issues.
5. Many people don't think you can surface the 89 and up flywheels but I had the local machine shop do mine with no issues.
6. ZF transmissions must use GM or BMW special fluid (basically motor oil). The local BMW dealer want $18 per quart. I order from Bavarian motorsports for $9.
7. The ZF tranny weighs about 150lbs. Takes two people (Although I did mine solo).
8. The transmission reverse light connector can be a pain to find. The local parts store had the correct connector. I then extende the reverse wiring from the auto gear selector connector to the 6 speed connector on the transmission. (refer to the FSM wiring schematics)
9. You will need to order a new shifter trim plate for the center console.

Anyway, I know one or two others have done this, so I thought I would post this.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool! good job!
do you have pics of the work?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 PM
01spirit
Cruising

Here are some pictures of the new engine.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:28 PM
crowbarL98
Heel & Toe

Very cool.

I'm planning on doing this or swapping in a Richmond 6-speed in the future.

Feel free to share any more info if you have it, and keep the pics coming if you got them.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:47 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 01spirit
1. I purchased the complete swap from Fparts on ebay. Expensive but I got everything (they forgot to send the spacer for the clutch master, but they did send when I asked about it).
What spacer??

4. Note that the pressure plates from 86 and up will not work on the 85 (two piece main seal crankshaft vs 1 piece crankshaft). I put a new GM short block that had the one piece so I had no issues.
Why won't it? The bolt pattern is the same.

5. Many people don't think you can surface the 89 and up flywheels but I had the local machine shop do mine with no issues.
A lot of people talk about a lot of stuff. Shouldn't have a problem resurfacing it. It's the springs that wear out i'm told, but again, I have not had one in my possession. I used the old style flywheel for my ZF swap.

6. ZF transmissions must use GM or BMW special fluid (basically motor oil). The local BMW dealer want $18 per quart. I order from Bavarian motorsports for $9.
The GM stuff is about $6 a quart at autozone. ZF has never recommended the BMW stuff. Not saying it won't work but, its not what they or GM say to use.

7. The ZF tranny weighs about 150lbs. Takes two people (Although I did mine solo).
Tell me about it.

Anyway, I know one or two others have done this, so I thought I would post this.
Heh, or like 10 others. Unfortunately, every guy I talk to has done it a different way.. I've got a FAQ with some good info here:

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/zf6/

-- Joe
Old 01-24-2008, 10:23 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

the difference is the internally vs externally Balanced crankshaft. One piece, the flywheel balances the crankshaft.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zr1fred
the difference is the internally vs externally Balanced crankshaft. One piece, the flywheel balances the crankshaft.
Yes, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the pressure plate.

-- Joe
Old 01-25-2008, 12:36 AM
01spirit
Cruising

Originally Posted by anesthes
Yes, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the pressure plate.

-- Joe

Correct, that was typo. I meant flywheel.

Re spacer- There is a 1" spacer on the engine side of the clutch master cylinder.

The BMW oil was per ZFDOC.com. I found the site very informative and they know their stuff. At worst I over spent for the synthetic oil.

Chris
Old 01-25-2008, 06:06 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Correct, that was typo. I meant flywheel.

Re spacer- There is a 1" spacer on the engine side of the clutch master cylinder.

The BMW oil was per ZFDOC.com. I found the site very informative and they know their stuff. At worst I over spent for the synthetic oil.

Chris
Ok brother, we're clear on the flywheel . Just wanted to clear that up.

1" spacer on the engine side of the clutch maser cyl.. Hrmmm.. I don't have one. Got a picture?

--Joe
Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not too experienced with the DM flywheel specific to the ZF tranny, but I'm plenty experienced with the DM flywheel that Ford used on their diesels and it's a similar design. I've seen several break a spring resulting in a SEVERELY imbalanced engine and a tow home. If I had a ZF tranny I'd switch to a single mass and just bear the new rattles for the peace of mind that my flywheel doesn't have any moving parts and springs. Has anyone had a vette DM flywheel break a spring?
Old 02-11-2008, 04:50 PM
ballonfoot
Advanced

More info on getting the back up light switch connector please! !
Old 02-11-2008, 05:31 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ballonfoot
More info on getting the back up light switch connector please! !
It's the same as a horn connector on early/mid 90s GM cars, as well as the ABS connector on these same cars. Go to the junkyard, look for like a '92 lumina for example.

Theres about 5 million of them in the junk yards. Thats where I got mine.

-- Joe

Get notified of new replies

To C4 conversion from auto to 6 speed manual

Quick Reply: C4 conversion from auto to 6 speed manual