C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 corvette LT1 repair or replace questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
fueler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 94 corvette LT1 repair or replace questions

I have a 94 corvette that I bought last year with 180k miles on it. It was not running when I bought it and posted here to learn about it. It runs hot without the fans running and seems to steam out the exhaust for a while.With the fans running all the time it runs about 205 degrees. I drove it last season about 5k miles this way with climate control on auto so the fans would run constantly. I think maybe the head gaskets are bad or something (alot of steaming out exhaust the while warming up). I am thinking about trying to put head gaskets in it but don't know how difficult this is to do in the car? Would I be better off to just pull the engine out? I have alot of experince with the older vettes, I have done pretty much everything myself on my 64 vette, but the newer technology is "new" to me. How much time am I looking at to do the head gaskets myself? What have people paid to have a good rebuild done on one of these motors.

I should have mentioned that I already installed a new radiator due to a cracked tank. I installed a new coolant temp sensor in the water pump and passenger side cylinder head. What is the best way to tell if I have a bad head gasket?

Thanks, Bill

Last edited by fueler; 01-25-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-23-2008, 08:56 PM
catlettlt1
Instructor

It's just like any other small block w/minor differences pull it build it the rest is cake...
Old 01-23-2008, 08:58 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,067 Posts

My guess is that from sitting, condensation is forming in the exhaust and you're seeing it burn off when you start it.

Given the mileage, I bet a good cleaning of the radiator stack will solve your temp problems.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:04 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Having just cleaned the radiator on my 94 (45K) I would say to look at that first. About the only way I know to do a good job cleaning it is to pull the radiator.

Mine was starting to run a little "warm" 210 in traffic with a 160 stat but would cool down as soon as I got going in clean air. I knew I needed to clean the radiator but was surprised by the amount of crap in it that could not be seen without pulling it.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
My guess is that from sitting, condensation is forming in the exhaust and you're seeing it burn off when you start it.

Given the mileage, I bet a good cleaning of the radiator stack will solve your temp problems.
If you are worried about the head gaskets, take it into a raditor shop for an exhaust gas test. There's no real difference between a head job on a 64 or 94.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 PM
vetteblack
Burning Brakes

I'd say repair, its cheaper than another Vette. Few hours and your back on the road again.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM
fueler
Intermediate

What is meant by an exhaust test at the radiator shop?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fueler
What is meant by an exhaust test at the radiator shop?
After buying and installing a new radiator, your car still has the same overheating problem, so you go to a mechanic for help. He starts out with a cooling-system pressure test, which shows there are no leaks. Next he does a combustion-leak test to make sure there are no internal leaks that might allow exhaust gas to bubble into the cooling system. He draws air from the radiator through a blue test liquid. Any trace of combustion gas would make the liquid turn yellow. You engine passes the test.
Clicky

Get notified of new replies

To 94 corvette LT1 repair or replace questions

Quick Reply: 94 corvette LT1 repair or replace questions