C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Singlemass ZF6, ZR1 pivot stud, snakeoil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:56 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Forum member No Go has this setup. This setup was sold by Doug Rippie Motorsports for years (as of last year they were still selling it). Other forum members have used it.

No Go uses his car ('96 LT4 stroked to 381, with well over 400 crank hp) extensively on the track, has competed in two "One Lap of America" events finishing 9th overall in the last one he did (not to mention driving >6,000 miles over ~10 days).

There have been no failures.

My logic says that even discounting No Go's experience (who did not purchase via DRM but had a local machine shop cut the flywheel), DRM knows what they're doing.
Perhaps. But I'm still not doing it. I've seen enough nodular iron flywheels explode over the years from heat. Can't say any of them were on a Corvette, but still. I won't resurface any flywheel beyond .010, and even then i'd rather just buy a new SFI flywheel.

-- Joe
Old 02-21-2008, 12:47 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

the camaro setup is really easy, this all seems like a lota work for no real reason. .090 off the LT1 camaro flywheel, camaro 11" disc and vette pressure plate is a win win and super simple to set up. The whole deal bolts togeather like clockwork.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:13 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by racebum
the camaro setup is really easy, this all seems like a lota work for no real reason. .090 off the LT1 camaro flywheel, camaro 11" disc and vette pressure plate is a win win and super simple to set up. The whole deal bolts togeather like clockwork.
What is a lot of work? Bringing a flywheel to a shop and having it milled? Yep.. Buying parts that just bolt in? nope.

I'm sure the fbody flywheel is fine for 90% of cases. And I'm sure you'll find a shop somewhere that will do anything for money. I'd rather just bolt in stuff that works. I under stand doug ripple did it this way. I have a ton of scanned articles provided by ZFdoc from other vendors that did it the other way.

-- Joe
Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 PM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first time I did a ZF6 swap in my '84. I used, '84 single mass flywheel, '92 ZF6 clutch, '84 style pressure plate, '92 master and slave cylinder. I just measured my pivot stud, 1.25" from top to bottom surface that touches the bell housing. And I'm pretty sure I'm using the ZF6 bellhousing (it's magnesium). Now, originally I bought the TPIS single mass conversion kit, as it should work in a swap scenario as well, but I didn't use all the parts from it. My clutch started slipping a slightly a few years later. IIRC the engagement was lower with the ZF setup. Otherwise it worked great except that I messed up some syncros trying to powershift 3rd, and once when the bleeder valve shot out of the slave and I ground 5th pretty bad.

Fastforward 7 years, I'm dropping in a Vortec 1 pc rear main seal from a '96 truck. This time I wanted to use the ram clutch that I didn't the first time, which came with the TPIS swap kit. So I had my single mass resurfaced (for the 2nd time), I put it together with the ram clutch (sprung hub) except that I faced the taller side of the clutch towards the pressure plate. This time I used the ZF6 pressure plate. With the ZF PP and the sprung hub clutch, the tall side of the clutch still fits in the PP (it's facing the springs of the PP). But it's close. This should also mean there is more pressure on the clutch.

But, when I got it all together, I found that when I depressed the clutch pedal, the clutch fork hits the PP. Now since it was so long ago that I got the TPIS kit, I don't know if I'm running their pivot stud or the stock ZF one, or even the stock 4+3 one LOL. Thankfully, from this thread, I have learned that there is a short pivot stud (3/4" from top to base). I will try to get that tomorrow. I'll be sure to let yall know how it turns out!

Thanks for the info BTW.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:46 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by korvetkeith
The first time I did a ZF6 swap in my '84. I used, '84 single mass flywheel, '92 ZF6 clutch, '84 style pressure plate, '92 master and slave cylinder.
I don't think you used the '84 pressure plate. It's a push style, and the ZF hydraulics + BH are pull style. Simply wouldn't work. You must have used the '92 ZF pressure plate as well.

Out of curiousity, if you look at your pedals in the resting position, is the clutch pedal HIGHER (above) or LOWER (below) the brake pedal?

-- Joe
Old 04-28-2008, 11:23 AM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by anesthes
I don't think you used the '84 pressure plate. It's a push style, and the ZF hydraulics + BH are pull style. Simply wouldn't work. You must have used the '92 ZF pressure plate as well.

Out of curiousity, if you look at your pedals in the resting position, is the clutch pedal HIGHER (above) or LOWER (below) the brake pedal?

-- Joe
You're right. I thought about that a little more after I posted it and realized that must not be the case.

I'll check later today when I go to work on it.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:16 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

You're right. I thought about that a little more after I posted it and realized that must not be the case.

I'll check later today when I go to work on it.
No worries. Just won't to make sure nobody searches this 2 years from now and thinks "Oh great, I can use my stock PP!!".

The ZF6 hydraulics are a nightmare, and the trans shifts goofy. I'll stand by both of those forever. It really does shift weird.

-- Joe
Old 04-28-2008, 09:23 PM
88yellow
Instructor

No worries. Just won't to make sure nobody searches this 2 years from now and thinks "Oh great, I can use my stock PP!!".

The ZF6 hydraulics are a nightmare, and the trans shifts goofy. I'll stand by both of those forever. It really does shift weird.

-- Joe
If this helps, I used a 92 zf. I used a alum. flywheel, the zf bellhousing, clutch for the 92 6 speed, zf slave cyl,zf master cyl. Everything was for the zf 6 speed. when I got it all together it would not work right. A friend of mine told me about the zr1 pivot ball, when I change to the zr1 pivot ball everything worked perfect.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 88yellow
If this helps, I used a 92 zf. I used a alum. flywheel, the zf bellhousing, clutch for the 92 6 speed, zf slave cyl,zf master cyl. Everything was for the zf 6 speed. when I got it all together it would not work right. A friend of mine told me about the zr1 pivot ball, when I change to the zr1 pivot ball everything worked perfect.
I'm using all ZF parts, except I'm using a lightweight 4+3 flywheel (aftermarket). Using the ZR1 pivot stud. So far, it seems ok.

-- Joe
Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 AM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

-- Joe
I've got the shorter pivot stud now and engagement is very low. Like it's engaging a little bit with my foot to the floor. Any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:28 AM
ZD1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got the shorter pivot stud now and engagement is very low. Like it's engaging a little bit with my foot to the floor. Any suggestions?
Think about removing the spacer between the fire wall and the master cylinder. sounds like you may noty have enough slave throw to fully disengage.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:19 AM
ZD1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am hoping that valeo either releases their design or 2x/3x the pressure from the pull clutch. this discussion would be a whole lot easier if we all could work towards the same (stock like) solution rather than hot rod one!

Originally Posted by bnio
I .... A company like that has the buying power to make that extra aluminum hardly cost anything. Anyway I hope it helps.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Are your pedals the same height,or is the clutch pedal lower than the brake?

If you run a singlemass for a 4+3, with the SHORT pivot stud the clutch should start grabbing about half way up the travel.

-- Joe

Quick Reply: Singlemass ZF6, ZR1 pivot stud, snakeoil?