C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch/Slave master cylinders....PLEASE HELP STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

Old 11-27-2001, 09:44 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Slave master cylinders....PLEASE HELP STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

Help...

I was stuck on the side of the road tonight :mad :mad :mad , cause the clutch decided to do it's thing again...meaning dump the fluid out GOD only knows where because I still have not found where it's going yet.

I need to know where I can get the rebuild kits for both slave and master cylinders TONIGHT or overnighted to me.

Can anyone help me with this? I have called every autoparts stores around me and no one has is stock nor the rebuild kits in stock they can order, but wont be here until friday. This is my only driver......

Thanks in advance for the help.
If anybody has ever rebuilt these, the how to would be most apprieciated.
:confused: :mad :smash: :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :sad:
Old 11-27-2001, 09:58 PM
jopod
Advanced

Default Re: Clutch/Slave master cylinders....PLEASE HELP STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. (apollo30346)

Do you guys have Autozones there? The local autozone here had 3 rebuild kits in stock, that's why I am asking.
Joe
Old 11-27-2001, 10:21 PM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Clutch/Slave master cylinders....PLEASE HELP STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. (jopod)

Just so you know, you can get it home w/no clutch. It's not pretty but has saved me big tow bills and bought me time. 1. ensure nobody in front of car. 2, put car in gear with engine off and press clutch pedal. 3, turn key and hang on, you are now driving in first. speed up and get ready for second gear. When ready to shift, lift gas pedal and pull stick to neutral at same time. GENTLY pull shifter into second as rpm fall, when they match, it will fall into gear. If you hear grinding put back in Neutral and try reving and pull again. You can limp the car home . Note, when you stop, car will die
Good Luck
Old 11-27-2001, 10:55 PM
weekendwrench
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Clutch/Slave master cylinders....PLEASE HELP STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. (apollo30346)

I would bet the clutch fluid is coming in the through the firewall. That is what mine did. Remove the lower under dash cover and reach up the clutch pedal arm to feel for fluid. The rebuild kits don't even come with a new piston just the rubber seals but the kit fixed my problem.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:30 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Clutch/Slave master cylinders....PLEASE HELP STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. (jopod)

Yes, we have Autozones, I called them 1st thing, but no luck no rebuild kits or the whole parts themselves. They can order but, may be till Friday if I was lucky. Tried others but no luck. I hate to spend $200.00 verses $35.00 for both rebuild kits.

I tried to do the ole trick with rpm timing to get it in gear to get it home, but that was not going to work for me this time...New clutch could have had something to do with that. I was able to get it home after waiting on the side of the road for 3 hours in rush hour no less. My girl came a got me went home picked up some DOT3 and back to car, filled it up and pumped away for for a few min's. Had enough clutch to get it home, pumping as I drive.....SUCK CITY....

I felt all around the inside of the car, pulled cover and looked and no leaks no wetness...nothing... The fluid has to be going somewhere...but where?

If you guys had to guess, which part would be the culprit...Slave or master? :confused: :confused:

How is the rebuild kits to install and what is intailed, or is it self explanitory :boxing

Thanks to all for the help...
Old 11-28-2001, 12:20 AM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you called TLD?...They are in your backyard

The Last Detail Corvette Parts & Accessories is located at:
2101 Northlake Parkway
Tucker, Ga.
30084-5304, US

Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm at 770-414-0077

[Modified by JonM, 11:21 PM 11/27/2001]
Old 11-28-2001, 10:17 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Clutch/Slave master cylinders....PLEASE HELP STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. (JonM)

Have not called them, but I will right now..

Thanks
Old 11-30-2001, 01:08 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

TLD did not carry the rebuild kits. I just went ahead and ordered from auto parts store and received the same day. Went ahead and got both slave and master....didn't want to but did not want to do it again and I was not sure which it was. It turns out it was the master....and I found out where the fluid had been going....what a mess to clean up...But at least it did not ruin the carpet. Its all clean and put back together and working allmost perfect. I think I still have a little air in there.... I will work on that while I am off Friday.

Thanks again for all the help...
Old 11-30-2001, 02:52 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

apollo30346,

I had exactly the same problem. Fluid disappears, clucth stops working at inconvienent places, can't find leak. The Chevy Dealer could not figure it out. As was already mentioned, the fluid was coming into the car from the master cylinder. The seal that is on the rod from the clutch pedal to the master cylinder was leaking fluid into the car and under the carpeting. It never showed a wet spot in the carpeting, but when we removed the m/c it was obvious the seal was leaking and where it was going.
Old 11-30-2001, 03:12 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Re: Clutch/Slave master cylinders....PLEASE HELP STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. (Mike_88Z51)

Best bet is to replace the slave AND the master. Not a big deal. I'll bet that the slave cyl. is where the problem is.
Old 11-30-2001, 03:14 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Clutch/Slave master cylinders....PLEASE HELP STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. (Mike_88Z51)

Yep, took me a little bit to find it and was a mess to clean up. But all new and working great. I ran it up to the dealer today to have my mechanic give it a quick look and bleed it once more for me. Now it feels great... I hope you got yours fixed OK....

enjoy
Pete

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch/Slave master cylinders....PLEASE HELP STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch/Slave master cylinders....PLEASE HELP STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.