C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dreaded Balancer on Optispark Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 AM
wilsonbh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dreaded Balancer on Optispark Install

OK, many issues facing me. Still, the dealership wanted $1500 for this. Messy job but doesn't look $1500 worth of "hard."

However! I cannot get the last screw out of the balancer, Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, for those that have done this, is it a big deal if the balancer turns any, just so I put it back on as it came off?

Bought a MSD opti and Miezier HD WP. Mine was leaking and I suspect it killed my Optispark. This new one has it's own vent so maybe it will be waterproof. Just amazing this was not recalled and fixed by GM.

If I can only get this balancer off, I'll be set.

Billy

Last edited by wilsonbh; 12-30-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

If you leave the hub intact, the balancer/dampner will only go back on one way, and yes it can be turned.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:21 PM
93cruiser
Pro

Is the bolt head rounded or is it that you cannot get the socket on it?
Rotate the engine with socket wrench if it is the latter.

Once you have the last bolt removed use a 2x4 and impact the balancer from underneath the car to bump it off of the hub. Make sure you mark the hub to the crank when you remove it. It is my recollection that there is no keyway like older small blocks.

Question; How do you plan to block off the wp output shaft hole and support gear shaft inside the timing gear cover? Sometime in the future I would like to convert to the electric wp.
Thanks
93cruiser
Old 12-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is a clip from my article on how to install the Mez pump:

You need to remove the damper to gain access to the opti-spark. There are 3 bolts that hold the damper onto the hub. I marked the damper so I could reinstall it in the same position on the hub, and it only goes on one way. After removing the 3 bolts, you'll probably have to get under the front end and using a soft drift pin or a wooden dowel (1 1/2" dia by 12" or so) and a hammer, loosen it from the hub. Don't just hit one part of the damper; try to hit it all around so it doesn't bind. This is a PITA. Once it comes free it is time for your first beer; you've earned it.

Here is the rest of the article:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=231&TopicID=2
Old 12-30-2007, 02:00 PM
wilsonbh
Racer

Default Minor success....

OK, got that last bolt out. What a PITA it was, but it finally released it's hold and came out. Now, that dang damper is stuck like it was JB Welded in place. I'll try the dowel rod procedure in a few minutes.

About the waterpump...
The Mieziere company provides a plug for the hole created by pushing out the mechanical pump. Their pump is very well made. I can hold it and tell you that it's a quality product, as is my MSD Optispark. Now, if I can just get them installed......

I'll post more detail when I make some headway in getting the damper off. I'm hoping the optispark is easy to replace. I was surprised at how easy it was to remove the water pump.

Billy
Old 12-30-2007, 02:27 PM
catlettlt1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you smack it with a deadblow it will loosen and it should slide right off.....
Old 12-30-2007, 03:13 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Ahh the damper frozen to the hub issue. Had the same problem on my 92. The way to get these off is to get a long 2x4, metal rod or something else (I use my 20" breaker bar) then hit it a couple times from below, rotate 90 * (using the center bolt in the hub) wack it a couple times, rotate, repeat until it comes off. I had to rotate at least 6 times to get mine off. Had a helper wack from underneath, I rotated.

Once its off clean the hub and the inside of the damper, put some anti-sieze on both when you reassemble.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:14 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Once its off clean the hub and the inside of the damper, put some anti-sieze on both when you reassemble.
Great tip!! It will just fall off next time using the anti-sieze.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:30 PM
wilsonbh
Racer

Default SUCCESS!!! It's OFF!!!

Your technique worked great. I didn't even have to jack up the car. I used the center bolt as you suggested and turned it about 1/4th turn then whacked it with a 1X3 then turned it again and whacked again. About 5 or 6 turns and it fell off.

Now, the optispark is layed naked to me. I hope this MSD model fits in the spot with no issues. I will try to install it tomorrow morning.

I'll look up a machine shop tomorrow too to press out the spline in my old water pump so I can install the new Miezier HD pump. I'm excited about all this...

But my world will come crashing down if I put it back together and it won't start. Won't know until tomorrow afternoon sometime.

Billy
Old 12-30-2007, 05:13 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Billy, start the car briefly before you reinstall the water pump. It could save alot of frustration making sure the opti is installed correctly.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:21 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by catlettlt1
If you smack it with a deadblow it will loosen and it should slide right off.....
I have one of those - they can do a pretty good job on your thumb, too
Old 12-30-2007, 06:41 PM
vette92_1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wilsonbh
Your technique worked great. I didn't even have to jack up the car. I used the center bolt as you suggested and turned it about 1/4th turn then whacked it with a 1X3 then turned it again and whacked again. About 5 or 6 turns and it fell off.

Now, the optispark is layed naked to me. I hope this MSD model fits in the spot with no issues. I will try to install it tomorrow morning.

I'll look up a machine shop tomorrow too to press out the spline in my old water pump so I can install the new Miezier HD pump. I'm excited about all this...

But my world will come crashing down if I put it back together and it won't start. Won't know until tomorrow afternoon sometime.

Billy
Billy, I just finished an MSD Opti install yesterday on my 92. The MSD visually looks to be a far superior built unit than the OEM. As suggested earlier by someone, I started mine briefly without the WP on to make sure I had it on correctly. It fired up with out hesitation. Also, on the 92 MSD Opti the wire plug is not correct so with the help of Bill Hetzel on this forum I had to wire the MSD into my old plug. Not for sure on the 94 if it has the correct plug or not? Good luck.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:51 PM
wilsonbh
Racer

Originally Posted by vette92_1
Billy, I just finished an MSD Opti install yesterday on my 92. The MSD visually looks to be a far superior built unit than the OEM. As suggested earlier by someone, I started mine briefly without the WP on to make sure I had it on correctly. It fired up with out hesitation. Also, on the 92 MSD Opti the wire plug is not correct so with the help of Bill Hetzel on this forum I had to wire the MSD into my old plug. Not for sure on the 94 if it has the correct plug or not? Good luck.
Is there any reason that would require me to open up the new MSD opti? or can I just match up the spline and slide it on? (OK, on second look, it appears MSD forces you to open up their opti to install the rubber o-ring, but otherwise it would not be necessary to open it.)

When you started up the car without the WP installed, did you have the serpentine belt installed?

Billy

Last edited by wilsonbh; 12-31-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:58 PM
wilsonbh
Racer

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Billy, start the car briefly before you reinstall the water pump. It could save alot of frustration making sure the opti is installed correctly.
Do I need to install the damper and serpentine belt to momentarily start the car to test the opti?

Billy
Old 12-30-2007, 07:13 PM
93cruiser
Pro

yes,
Old 12-30-2007, 07:19 PM
vette92_1
Burning Brakes

Is there any reason that would require me to open up the new MSD opti? or can I just match up the spline and slide it on?

When you started up the car without the WP installed, did you have the serpentine belt installed?

Billy
I did not put the belt back on, however I did re-install the damper just to be on the safe side. For a brief second to see if it is going fire the Damper probably does not need to be installed but I didn't want to take any chances.

As far as opening up the MSD, What I did was open up the OEM before I removed it to see where the rotor was positioned, then when I installed the MSD I opened it up to make sure the rotor was positioned in the same location, however if you notice on the spline there is an indexed flat spot on the spline shaft which means it can only be installed one way....I guess if you forced it on you might be able to install it out of position? It should slide into position easily (or at least mine did) I would not force it on.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:26 PM
GS4-LT1
Burning Brakes

There is a thin rubber o-ring gasket that goes in between the opti and the cap, don't forget to put that in. Double check to make sure thats in there and straight. The opti should drop in on only one position as one of the splines is larger than all of the rest. Make sure that the opti seats in all of the way before you bolt it in.
You do not have to install the damper or belt to fire up the engine. Just let it fire and let it run for a couple of seconds. (i'am glad I did this with mine as it was dead straight from MSD!) Also, the connector for the wiring harness on the opti is located under the passenger side fuel rail cover, pop that off and you should see it. Good luck, your almost done, keep us posted.

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded Balancer on Optispark Install

Old 12-31-2007, 05:45 PM
wilsonbh
Racer

Default Opti is in, WP next...

What a royal PITA installing this thing. But I got it in ok. I installed the damper and put on the serpitine belt and fired it up. It sprang to life, the first signs of life in 8 months. I guess the computer was telling me the correct messages with those codes. I'm elated that it started so quickly. I only ran it for a few seconds since there is no cooling with the WP out.

I could use some new sparkplug wires but went ahead and re-installed the old ones for now. Will have to replace these later.

I drove all over our area today to try to find a machine shop to press out the mechanical insides of my waterpump so I can install the electric one. This may have to wait till Wednesday. I doubt anything is open tomorrow, Jan 1st.

I have one concern about my MSD opti. The vent that attaches to the bottom of the opti has a checkvalve in it and when I suck on it to simulate some vacuum, it seems like it doesn't allow much air to flow. Would removing this checkvalve be in order?

Also, I have a 1994 C4. For anyone with a car of the same year, where did you tap into vacuum?

This is the best forum!!!! I would never have attempted this task had it not been for my research in this forum. It gave me the confidence to do this and it saved me a lot of money. Thanks to you all!!!

Billy
Old 12-31-2007, 05:50 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Also, I have a 1994 C4. For anyone with a car of the same year, where did you tap into vacuum?
I used a rubber T-fitting on a vaccuum source on the left side of the intake.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:53 PM
wilsonbh
Racer

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
I used a rubber T-fitting on a vaccuum source on the left side of the intake.
Would you happen to have a picture of that?

Quick Reply: Dreaded Balancer on Optispark Install