C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 vet coolant fan prolems

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:41 PM
pappyfreebird
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 vet coolant fan prolems

jus got it other day winter here so nawt drivin it but (like some one else id read) was messin with the rear speakers n ign. on radio on n car went dead charged bat. n all seemed fine tell turnt key on the coolant fan ran right off check coolent sensor n still ran ony way besides key off is to pull the relay put in new relay n same thing probed n messed round n were just test the relay plug wid a test light n green n black were ground cause would lite blue n red then tested again n the red would lite nawt the blue (hoped yea somthun unstuck) no luck no the fan wont run at all turnt air on no fan let heat ta 235 no fan kin you dudes help a fool out thanks pappy
Old 12-18-2007, 04:18 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 12-18-2007, 05:17 PM
pappyfreebird
Advanced

ok found the blown fuse now i r back ta square 1 (yea i r lookin fer a book)but az said jus got it so now i r at fan runs soon as hit key unless unplg relay n new realy is same way n have had bad relays fum box so nutha commin in morning any idears fellow rednecks
Old 12-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Jamey
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4

Last edited by Jamey; 12-18-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:40 PM
scooter18155
Racer

there is a fan switch in your pass side head try changing this to see if that works. before you do that take a look at the wiring that goes to the fan mayby someone re routed the wires so that it is on at all times.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pappyfreebird
ok found the blown fuse now i r back ta square 1 (yea i r lookin fer a book)but az said jus got it so now i r at fan runs soon as hit key unless unplg relay n new realy is same way n have had bad relays fum box so nutha commin in morning any idears fellow rednecks
I am fairly familiar with the 1984 Corvettes, but not whatever tongue you are writing in. I made out the word "book". Here is a link to the FSM, Factory Service Manual, which ought to help. Write back if you can find a translator.

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:51 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Took me a while but I think he said his fan comes on as soon as he turns the key on, unless he unplugs the fan relay all together.

That it does the same even with a new relay. And that he has had new relays prove defective out of the box.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Jamey
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the fan switch on the passenger cylinder head is bad like Scooter said, or the wire from it is grounded/shorted out. Basically, unplug the fan switch, and see if the fan stops running. If it doesn't, the wire from it, to the relay, is shorted to ground. The switch is mounted between number 6 and 8 spark plugs.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:22 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by 86PACER
Took me a while but I think he said his fan comes on as soon as he turns the key on, unless he unplugs the fan relay all together.

That it does the same even with a new relay. And that he has had new relays prove defective out of the box.
You sure made more sense out of that that I could. Between the spelling, no caps, no punctuation, run on, etc... I was getting a head ache trying make it make sense.

And speaking of sense. I'm not faulting the interpretation, but if you are right, 86PACER, his actions make no more sense than his writing. If he knows "...that he has had new relays prove defective out of the box.", then he knows a good from a bad relay. If so, I have to wonder why, "it does the same even with a new relay", he changed the relay in the first place???

Based on your best guess, I'd have to say scooter18155 and Jamey are on the right track.

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 PM
pappyfreebird
Advanced

1st scooter yeup ive checked it fan still runs evin wid sensor unplugged
2nd thank u pacer fer interpitting thats wud i said ive built a few ol harleys n have kept many a runnin n thats where the junque relays have came ta play
3rd kin i say i asked fer help nawt a angalashia language course i know i type like a foo i r a foo hey have wid it but do preciate the help also
ae fer the good bad relay know the dif.. hey they werk er they dont as ya said cfi i rekon the udda two have ta be right gotsta be a ground offin that sensor cause ony way ta stop fan is turn key off er unplug the relay ony had car couple daze n dint do that befoe so hafta trace that wire underneath n see ifn melted somewhere any udda idears be preciated thanks fellow rednecks pappy the illiterated derilected freebird woot woot hey wait tell iask bout the brake booster er the wiper washer pump God knows i hope that be bout it but betta fug up er fix up wud im after thanks again peoples
Old 12-18-2007, 11:45 PM
scooter18155
Racer

well pappy sounds like you got to trace some wires to see if you can find your problem. it sounds as if thats your problem. like cfi said a fsm will do you wonders. and the coments about your typing isnt meant in a bad way its just that the better we can understand you the better we can help you. as far as im getting you determined (1)the relay isnt your problem and (2) the switch in the head isnt causing your fan to come on you also need to verrify that someone hasnt hot wired your fan to stay on at all times. look at the wires going directly to the fan and follow them to see if they go to the correct places or if someone spliced them somewheres they shouldnt be. some backyard mechanics might wire a fan this way to help keep engine temps down. also check the wires jamey mentioned it is possable those wires went bad as well.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:52 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

wo i wuz sayn ur sensez ot to get da *** out coz wout allzat inna way u cant get
no traccton wif yo ride n we all need if wez gonna get sum puzza tonieete woo woo bro!

Old 12-19-2007, 09:11 AM
pappyfreebird
Advanced

fan was fine befoe...so nawt wired direct... unpluggin relay n turnin off key is ony way ta stop fan... unpluggin rightbank sensor n fan stays on...it should stop ifn sensor bad right??? n the sensor in the aircomp.will stop fan when unplug also.... so since two of 3 will shut it off....could it be the rightbank sensor??? i were told they shut off when unplug ifn bad ...n it doesnt so figure good... i afta chase a wire i rekon...thanks rednecks the pappster ..nee any help wid ol shovelheads maybe i kin return the favor
Old 12-19-2007, 10:17 AM
dan0617
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When a battery is disconnected then reconnected, the air conditioner turns itself on. When the air conditioner is on, the fan runs continuously. Turn the a/c off and I'll bet the fan turns off.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 AM
dan0617
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
wo i wuz sayn ur sensez ot to get da *** out coz wout allzat inna way u cant get
no traccton wif yo ride n we all need if wez gonna get sum puzza tonieete woo woo bro!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 AM
pappyfreebird
Advanced

ok ...wud bout this...the air is off... did try it utha day n comp.dint turn on... anyways ifn i unplgu the comp.pressure switch (in comp still) it shuts off the fan... so its the comp switch thats grounded... hatsa be..right???? so kin low freon cause this??? n idjuts test could be ta unplug the comp.switch ...n run car tell hits 220-230 n fan should come on then correct???? yea baby am i onta somthun here ..er jus jerkin my own chain heyhuh!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:49 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

unpluggin relay n turnin off key is ony way ta stop fan... unpluggin rightbank sensor n fan stays on...it should stop ifn sensor bad right??? n the sensor in the aircomp.will stop fan when unplug also.... so since two of 3 will shut it off....could it be the rightbank sensor???
ifn da fun stps wid da ac iff wan yous unpluggin da pessu sutch dats da tubl.

Now learn to write in coherent sentences...In ENGLISH!

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 84 vet coolant fan prolems

Old 12-19-2007, 11:08 AM
pappyfreebird
Advanced

geeze cfi!!! fer a cat dat wrote a book ....ya should take yer own advice n quit givun me cheeyut... thanks fellas i test it n let ya know...so now how do i fix people??? now thats palin angalshia ain it cfi?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:43 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

geeze cfi!!! fer a cat dat wrote a book ....ya should take yer own advice n quit givun me cheeyut... thanks fellas i test it n let ya know...so now how do i fix people??? now thats palin angalshia ain it cfi?
Is this for real, or are you just playing with people?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:59 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

You seem to be able to make a point understandable when it counts. Now tell me, what advice I have given, that I need to take?

RACE ON!!!

Quick Reply: 84 vet coolant fan prolems