C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MSD Ignition Box?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 PM
ChevyGuyScott
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Ignition Box?

Has anyone put like a 6AL on their L98? Because I would like to do an Ign box, Wires, Blaster Coil and cap and rotor on mine, but just want some Opinions.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 02:14 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 6AL, blaster 2 coil IIRC, and an MSD 3386 small cap dizzy. Gotta love that soft-rev.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:22 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...7&postcount=10

That should clear up any and all questions.
Thanks again to LD85!

Last edited by USAsOnlyWay; 12-17-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 AM
ChevyGuyScott
Heel & Toe

Oh, Nice. Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 12:16 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If it is still an L98, with the TPI intake, adding all this stuff is a waste of your money.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:09 PM
90steelblue
Instructor

Originally Posted by vader86
If it is still an L98, with the TPI intake, adding all this stuff is a waste of your money.
... is it a waste if you are adding a blower with the stock tpi?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Happydad
Burning Brakes

Old 12-17-2007, 06:51 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 90steelblue
... is it a waste if you are adding a blower with the stock tpi?
absolutly not.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:22 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyGuyScott
Because I would like to do an Ign box, Wires, Blaster Coil and cap and rotor on mine, but just want some Opinions.

Thanks
WHY???

Do you have some money burning a hole in your pocket? Do you need some pretty red baubles to dress up your engine compartment?

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 PM
ChevyGuyScott
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
WHY???

Do you have some money burning a hole in your pocket? Do you need some pretty red baubles to dress up your engine compartment?

RACE ON!!!
Not realy, Just want to upgrade my ign System

Can you elaborate as to why it is a waste?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:17 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyGuyScott
Not realy, Just want to upgrade my ign System
To what? For what? What do you hope to gain?

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 PM
dan0617
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a waste of money, other than the rev limiter it has built in, if you have an otherwise stock engine. If you are revving to 6K or higher then it will benefit you because the stock ignition isn't made to be powerful or "hot" enough for those revs. (Don't confuse hot with heat or you will just end up with detonation!!) It will be beneficial if you are running nitrous for the more powerful spark and especially for the aforementioned rev limiter. No experience with supercharging but it would probably be beneficial in that application as well. If you are going to do any of the above in the future then by all means upgrade. If you are just doing it because you think you need an ignition upgrade from stock, in my opinion the stock ignition is more than adequate for a stock or mostly stock engine. I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything, just trying to give you the best info I can. I run a Crane Hi-6 ignition, but I run nitrous, and I really wanted a rev limiter. I didn't notice any difference when running N/A but it does seem to pull a little harder on the nitrous, although I don't have any before and after documentation to prove that. I really like it but it wouldn't be worth it if my car were mostly stock.

Last edited by dan0617; 12-17-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:46 PM
johnwayne
Racer

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...7&postcount=10

That should clear up any and all questions.
Thanks again to LD85!
how did you wire it to the stock wiring harness. I just bought the a small cap dis and have the 6al and was having a hard time trying to finger it out.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:22 PM
ChevyGuyScott
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
To what? For what? What do you hope to gain?

RACE ON!!!
Umm.. To have better conductivity, to have the stronger spark, and it looks better! Im sorry I don't care what kind of car it is, OEM stuff is not better than aftermarket "Performance" Parts.

Sorry wanted to add a few Facts.
http://www.msdignition.com/super_con.html
Wires + Specs: Reasoning for upgrade

http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_6_6420.htm
Ignition Box Specs: Reasoning for Upgrade

http://www.msdignition.com/dist_55.htm
Cap+Rotor: Reasoning for Upgrade

Last edited by ChevyGuyScott; 12-17-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:21 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Chevy guy, you believe all you read, if so i have a book to sell ya... why not listen to the guys that have experience, and use your money wisely...
Old 12-18-2007, 12:34 AM
ChevyGuyScott
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vinnies87
Chevy guy, you believe all you read, if so i have a book to sell ya... why not listen to the guys that have experience, and use your money wisely...
I have the experience, I have the full set-up in my truck, and it performed well from the get go, I believe more than words well written, Materials used compared to stock prove it all...
Old 12-18-2007, 12:57 AM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnies87
ChevyGuyScott is my son and he designs, builds and restores classic Indian, custom and high performance motorcycles for a very high end shop here in Riverside. He knows performance inside and out trust me. Ever hear of the "Biker Build Off's" on the Discovery Channel? He built a large part of one last year. He is just too humble to sing his own praises. His proud dad is not though. He is just asking for some input, ok? Incidentally new intake tubes and a higher flow exhaust was a couple of the mods we had already discussed for the L98 so yeah the ignition stuff will make a difference.
The following users liked this post:
MUSTANGKILLA (07-27-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Ignition Box?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It is a waste of money on a stock engine because the HEI system is a very good low-rev ignition system. Since the TPI system cannot pull more than 5500 and make power, it is completely pointless to upgrade to an ignition box. Even its rev-limiter, which is nice, would be utterly useless since the intake chokes you before you get to a point where poor spark really occurs.

You want to upgrade plugs, wires....by all means. Upgrading the coil to an overly expensive aftermarket unit would be a waste as well. I dont have a problem with anyone wanting to replace with a good aftermarket brand when the price difference is not great. However, I don't like when people claim power increases, or those who think "well aftermarket is always better, so lets spend twice the $$$"....because you dont get the true performance out of these parts til you push the engine well beyond stock.

There are no dyno results showing gains from these mods on an engine that was in tune to begin with, and remains with the TPI-style intake.

For those that are wondering, I have tried several aftermarket parts in the ignition system, and ended up going back to stock.

Aftermarket mods like runners and base do not add enough rpm to justify the usefulness of these ignition mods.

Last edited by vader86; 12-18-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 375 Likes on 311 Posts

There are no dyno results showing gains from these mods on an engine that was in tune to begin with, and remains with the TPI-style intake.
Proven extra weight.

I also disagree with the MSD box being so much better quality then OEM parts. The stock parts last a long long time. I had an MSD box on a previous turbo car and it broke leaving me stranded several times. I started keeping jumper wires in the car to bypass the box and get back driving with the stock system.

If this is a bling mod for you then your entitled to enjoy it as such.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:34 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by johnwayne
how did you wire it to the stock wiring harness. I just bought the a small cap dis and have the 6al and was having a hard time trying to finger it out.

Sheesh, a lot of haters in here...

You can get a harness through the website in the link, you just call and explain I have an HEI in a ____ year corvette and I am putting in an msd 8366 and he'll mail just what you need out.

As for the guy who asked for the supercharger, I never said it would up HP or any claims like that, but I would most definitely buy one since you will easily rev on up past what you/or your bottom end, might be comfortable with. I set it up so when I was racing I didn't have to worry about over-revving.

The HEI is a great distributor. But its BIG, it has no rev control, and hey if it matters, it has no bling.

Quick Reply: MSD Ignition Box?