C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wouldnt believe what happend today

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:01 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wouldnt believe what happend today

ok comming home from work my breaks go out getting off the highway, didnt hit anyone and made it home within a mile from where it happend. got home and pumped my breaks. No fluid left and seems like I will be having my self a weekend project....BUT..as I take my girls car out to get what supplies I need, I get to pepboys and buy what I need ok, then, I got to start the car and nothing. power works everything is on except no turnover. So I check everything and remember that I just put a starter in her car 2 weeks ago and thought the cable might be loose. After some praying and some magic loving on the car I got it to start. I get home, jack her car up and check the tightness of the power wire on her starter. I put a socket set on the sire and went to tighten it. I forgot to take the positive off the Bat and as soon as I touched the socket set to the wire on the starter I had sparks. Sparks hit the oil filter and put a hole in it. Now I have oil leaking over everything and im out 2 cars. Only other ride is a brother 30 mins away and has school tomorow ( high school). So im screwed till later in the afternoon. Thanks for letting me vent as im am frustrated and half way Drunk.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It does not matter what brand it is, but if it has t1t's or tires, it is bound to be trouble.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

I had one of those days last Sunday.

Trying to fix a no heater problem in my monte carlo, car all tore apart and had to use the vette to go get a couple things. Get to the store and go back out to the vette, no start. Just plenty of grinding. Starter was tight to the block, but it suddenly acted like a bad starter drive or flywheel. So I'm stuck in the parking lot, no tools and both cars down.

Thankfully I have AAA, got the vette towed home, and fixed the monte. Still haven't looked at the vette problem, but if its anything other than the flywheel, it'll be an easy fix.

So, you're not alone. You'll have better luck tomorrow
Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Pete K
It does not matter what brand it is, but if it has t1t's or tires, it is bound to be trouble.
Truer words have never been spoken......
Old 12-13-2007, 10:48 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

Funny corvette kid because my girls car is a monte carlo. Well we got 2 cars down now and im wondering how im gunna be able to get this new oil filter and my break lines form the store now unitll later in the afternoon..bad day real bad day
Old 12-14-2007, 02:31 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spark put a hole in the filter? Damn, lucky it was not your hand.

I got my scare when my alt wire touched the header. Now I never forget to remove the battery cable. I even got a quick disconnect switch to help.

New filter, new lines no big deal. That can be done in the same day.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:18 AM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

WAiting is not my game. IM up at 9am and now I have to wait till about 3 when highschool gets let out. LOL. I hate this.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Old 12-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Derick,
I'm curious, didn't you feel the brakes getting mushy? or did they go from working perfect to no brakes in 1 stop?

And Sparks put hole in the oil filter? I can't imagine how that would work - unless it was arking from the wrench handle or something else that was in direct contact with the filter?

Sounds like one of those "don't do maintanence like this" videos they would show in a highschool shop class!

Carl Johansson
Old 12-14-2007, 10:15 AM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

No well her oil filter is right next to her strater and the way the + wire is on the starter having a socket set on it comes about an 1/8 inch away from the filter. So I gues i got lucky.When people are mad and frustrated I gues they dont think about alot because I should have known to take the posistive wire off the bat. But as far as my breaks no I didnt feel anything, knowing our breaks suck anywaze I didnt think anything of it untill I went to hit the breaks and then it felt like my clutch. Thank god I have a 6spd for downshifting. Well I looked at whats going on today and pumped the breaks and it seems like its all comming out of the rubber part where all four lines go into and out under my seat. and it actually cracked the metal housing from the pressure i gues. Im gunna try and fix everything.any ideas on how to blead my breaks?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:46 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't need to mess with the positive wire. Just remove the ground wire and you can work on any of the electrical without shock.

The point here is you could just as easily cause that kind of short while removing the positive wire, but less likely on the ground side because most anything your wrench would smack into is already grounded.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:02 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It makes no difference which wire you remove. Either will prevent completing a circuit with a wrench or anything else, by accident.

Take the oil filter off the Corvette and use it on the Monte Carlo. The Monte IS a V8 right?

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

No its not a v8 its a v6 but here are some pics of the problems I ran into....... and these are the only tools i really had besides a socket set that didnt help alot...
Old 12-15-2007, 01:55 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

well I got the line off but the storea round me arent able to get me the fitting I need for the lines and dont have them long enough either. Looks like Ill be getting her towed monday morning.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:13 PM
MardiGrasMan
Le Mans Master

Default This too shall pass

At least you didn't bring the cars to Mr. Goodwrench where some kid gets to learn on your car by changing out all the parts...
Old 12-17-2007, 09:53 PM
MightyMike
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Amen
Old 12-17-2007, 11:45 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default busted cars

um, the oil filers are the same on both cars........starters probably are too.........unless it's a v6.
That's why I got 4 v-8 Chevies. two are LS engines, and two are Gen 1.
wouldn't be the first time I've swapped parts between 'em.

Get notified of new replies

To Wouldnt believe what happend today

Old 12-18-2007, 06:50 AM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

well i got it towed yesterday and the monte carlo is a v6-they only came in v6's. I think 3.1 and 3.4 or something
Old 12-18-2007, 10:47 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Buy some tools!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:36 AM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

buy some tools? I had everything I needed but the dang stores didnt have our fitting at the ends of the lines so I gave up and said " screw this' . While i was working on the car it was 60-70 degrees then on that sunday when I went to get the lines it was WINDY and 45.

Quick Reply: Wouldnt believe what happend today