C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is the crossbar worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 12:04 AM
SLOWBUSA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the crossbar worth the money?

Does the crossbar noticeably firm up the car or does it just help when the top is removed? I am not interested in the harness or camera feature. Just looking to firm up chasis and body so car doesn't shake, rattle, and vibrate so much.:U I remember seeing a shock tower brace, but have not heard if this thing worked. Does anyone have info on this product? Thanks for the help. :)
Old 11-23-2001, 08:34 PM
SLOWBUSA
Instructor

Default Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (SLOWBUSA)

Opinions anyone? :(
Old 11-24-2001, 12:22 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Only use is to hold a camera.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:42 AM
4GTWRK
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dean,

My opinion on this matter is bias, since I manufacture the Cross-bar, but it does make your car more rigid. There are a lot of people that will tell you that only a roll bar will solve your problem, but most of them have a roll bar and have never tried the Cross-bar. I've sold over 80 bars this past summer and every customer came back saying they could feel the difference even driving around town. I am sure you'll get some comments from several Cross-bar owners if this thread stays near the top over the week-end.

Please give me a call or email if I can answer any of your questions.

Dave Cooper
R-D Racing http://www.r-dracing.com
573-756-6954
Old 11-24-2001, 01:07 AM
Boo383
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

My 84 used to make popping/flexing sounds constantly, but after I installed the bar as soon as I backed out of the driveway I was in I could tell a difference! It always popped backin out of that driveway, but not anymore! The crossbar really helps to stiffen things up, and cut down on the flexing sounds caused by uneven surfaces. My 84 is still yet in desperate need of shocks so it rides horribly rough and the exhaust is quite loud and causes much resonance. After I installed the crossbar the car is now somewhat quieter at interstate speeds. I think it cut down on all the vibrations. I know that might sound crazy, but I could really tell a difference! :chevy
Old 11-24-2001, 01:16 AM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (84c4)

It is money well spent in my book. With the top out and no cross bar my car would flex like a wet noodle. Now it is stiff and I can feel almost no flex. I would buy one again. That is my opinion.:)
Oh yeah, ease of installation and quality of product is top notch, and I even got a blemished bar. It looked good as new to me.

[Modified by JPLT1, 12:17 AM 11/24/2001]
Old 11-24-2001, 10:44 AM
vallini
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (JPLT1)

If you want a stiffer chassis with the top off...GET IT. I researched the Brey Kraus, Hardbar & Arizona Speed Marine bars all of them were pricey and with the exception of the Brey-kraus only the Crossbar has the antirotating brackets (for us road racers out there). I installed mine last weekend along with the anti submarine bracket for the 5 point harnesses and I can say the quality and engineering of the kit is top notch. It looks cool and the chassis dynamics have been much improved. For the $$ it is a great chassis mod.

Old 11-24-2001, 12:07 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, it does stiffen the chassis noticeably. Had one in my 95, sold the car & bar, now have one in my 96. You can really tell the differnce when you remove it after having it in for awhile :eek: You really didn't know how flexible your Vette was until then!

Best part for me is that tall people (like myshelf) can put the seat in the full back posistion without interferance with the Cross-Bar.

Works VERY WELL! :yesnod:
Old 11-24-2001, 12:57 PM
Jimmy69
Racer

YES, YES and YES!

Night and day difference when driving with the top off.

Even with the top on, when I would cross railroad tracks the car would twist pretty bad. When I first installed the Crossbar I headed straight for the railroad tracks. Instead of twisting, I actually could feel the suspension doing the work.

Jimmy
Old 11-24-2001, 01:42 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This idea is good BUT it should be combined with other stiffening components throughout the frame. With only this component, you've just moved the flex to another part of the frame, IMO. :smash:
Old 11-24-2001, 05:15 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (vallini)

Wow. That looks really nice. It'd look pretty slick with my new black interior. Where does it mount, the shoulderbelt anchors? Does it have a camera attachment on it? How much $$$ is it?
Old 11-24-2001, 05:57 PM
SLOWBUSA
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies.:D It looks like I will be getting one soon.:yesnod: DOes anyone know of any other mods besides a rollbar that will strengthen the chasis? :seeya
Old 11-26-2001, 07:44 PM
KNCRSR5R
Pro

Default Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (tntcorvette)

AS A CAMERA MOUNT ONLY.........COME ON......

This bar is superbly constructed, Excellent instructions are included, Very Nice Nice Paint Quality, FULL Use of your seats...And Top Storage, NO rear view sight problems whatsoever, Excellent customer service, Knowledgeable staff.

The camera monut is included......for free.....and was not the portrayed as the selling point of this item.

But thats not the GOOD STUFF. Before installing my CROSS-BAR...I consistanly ran a 00:45 sec through a particular course. After installation I was able to get that time down to a 00:41 sec time...THE FIRST RUN...after a rain storm. But lets not even talk about performance....

This bar connects at the factory monting points for the seat belt...on the "Factory Roll Bar"...the B-pillar. Anything that you add to this part of the car will affect the rigidity of the car for the better.

Bassically.....you just have to get one to beleive...YOU WILL BELEIVE! :flag
Old 11-26-2001, 08:08 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (KNCRSR5R)

. Before installing my CROSS-BAR...I consistanly ran a 00:45 sec through a particular course. After installation I was able to get that time down to a 00:41 sec time...THE FIRST RUN...after a rain storm. But lets not even talk about performance....
WOW, 4 Seconds.
But I yet to see a price. How much?
Old 11-26-2001, 08:35 PM
stroyer
Instructor

Default Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (fastzr1)

Its in the forum mall. I installed one last spring in my 93 which I
autocross in SCCA Solo 2 (SS, now AS). Its an excellent bar, worth every
penny.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:59 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (KNCRSR5R)

AS A CAMERA MOUNT ONLY.........COME ON......

This bar is superbly constructed, Excellent instructions are included, Very Nice Nice Paint Quality, FULL Use of your seats...And Top Storage, NO rear view sight problems whatsoever, Excellent customer service, Knowledgeable staff.

The camera monut is included......for free.....and was not the portrayed as the selling point of this item.

But thats not the GOOD STUFF. Before installing my CROSS-BAR...I consistanly ran a 00:45 sec through a particular course. After installation I was able to get that time down to a 00:41 sec time...THE FIRST RUN...after a rain storm. But lets not even talk about performance....

This bar connects at the factory monting points for the seat belt...on the "Factory Roll Bar"...the B-pillar. Anything that you add to this part of the car will affect the rigidity of the car for the better.

Bassically.....you just have to get one to beleive...YOU WILL BELEIVE! :flag
Erik, I sure they add some strength but I don't understand why anyone who races would only want to do 1/2 the job and not get a REAL roll bar.

ps, I have a 5 point roll bar.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:02 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Click on this link: http://www.r-dracing.com
or look at R & D Racing in the Corvette Forum Mall

Get notified of new replies

To Is the crossbar worth the money?

Old 11-26-2001, 09:08 PM
ex-gold87
Instructor

Default Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (stroyer)

This topic really answered some of my questions about these bars. I wont even consider driving my car with the top out because it hadles like a wet dish rag. Im sold, i will be buying or building my own soon. Do most of the bars sold have a camera mount as well as fire extinguisher mount?
Old 11-26-2001, 11:12 PM
4GTWRK
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

. .
If we could get a GP of 4 units together, I will sell them $250 each. This will allow me to support the Forum properly and give some of you a good deal. And as always this will include the camera mount with the Cross-bar.

Give me a call or drop me an email to get on the list.

Thanks,
Dave Cooper
R-D Racing Enterprises
dcooper@r-dracing.com
573-756-6954
Old 11-26-2001, 11:54 PM
AS84
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (84c4)

84c4-
Is your business located in Farmington? I'm a couple hours south of ya. I am interested in one, but I should wait for spring or I could add it to me christmas list :cheers:

Quick Reply: Is the crossbar worth the money?