C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Why not to use Bosche +4's

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 10:38 AM
Romeo Barrera
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why not to use Bosche +4's

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...multipower.asp

This point has already been brought up before, but hear it from an actual highly-respected plug manufacturer.

This is their version of the Bosche +4. They even admit the shrouding of the spark and that although this design has it's uses, i.e. forced induction, it's probably not the choice for your performance application.
I'm sold on NGK, strictly based on the info and honesty at this site.

One theory I have about the NGK V-power working so good (other than from the obvious explanation that NGK gives) is that it probably achieves the same effect as cut-back ground electrodes. The V center electrode forces the spark to the sides, which corresponds to the edges of the ground electrode, where there is more expossure for the spark to ignite the fuel mixture. Using cut-back ground electrodes does the same thing, but you only have one side vs. two with the V-power.

My only dilema is whether to use the V-power or the platinum from NGK. If I had TPI, I'd definately use the V-power, but since my Ceasefire is basically dumping raw fuel into the maze-like intake, I may have to go with platinums to avoid fowling, whatdyall think??

[Modified by Romeo Barrera, 9:42 AM 11/22/2001]
Old 11-22-2001, 08:25 PM
black86targa
Instructor

Default Re: Why not to use Bosche +4's (Romeo Barrera)

I dont believe in multi tip plugs for one reason. The spark will jump only the one with least resistance anyway. The other 3 will just foul themselves because there not firing continuously. I recommend Bosche Platinum, and only one electrode platinum, not the double plat.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:31 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Get some AC Delcos and cut them back. :D :yesnod: I was a skeptic, now I'm a believer!!
Old 11-22-2001, 08:31 PM
C4396roadster
Pro

the platinums for me burned the cleanest 60k in my dakota w/ mild magnum motor and I ran the plat in my vette before I change my configuration 20k and they burned clean Dakota w 60k still looked new but changed out anyway I still waiting to see how the ngks are in the vette so far so good!
Old 11-22-2001, 10:55 PM
james holley
Pro

scorp, what does cutting back the plugs mean and what does it do? : :)
Old 11-27-2001, 11:13 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Why not to use Bosche +4's (james holley)

scorp, what does cutting back the plugs mean and what does it do? : :)
Yeah Scorp - what he said. Can you 'splain please? :seeya Thanks!
Old 11-27-2001, 11:20 PM
Romeo Barrera
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Why not to use Bosche +4's (Juliet)

If you look at your spark plug, you see that the ground strap covers a good portion of the center electrode. This shrouds the spark from the fuel mixture. By cutting back the ground strap so that it barely covers the center electrode, you expose more of the spark to the fuel mixture.
Old 11-28-2001, 12:47 AM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I gotta believe "cutting back" a plug would wreak havoc with the
gap. Do you compensate for this?

:confused:
Old 11-28-2001, 01:05 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Cutting back the plug.

For those of you who asked about cutting the plug back.

65Z01 introduced me to this old hotrodders trick, and I believe it worked. You cut/file the ground electrode back to expose the electrode more. Make sure you file off any thin edges and flakes, this will help prevent any pinging from small thin peices getting too hot. Then you gap "at an angle" from the ground electrode to the electrode. It took me all of 15 minutes to do with a bench grinder and a file.

Here is a picture I did up, the right side is the modified side.....

Anyways, between doing that and removing my main cat I picked up a good solid 3.5 mph in the quarter mile. And my sig tells the time....

[Modified by scorp508, 12:10 AM 11/28/2001]
Old 11-28-2001, 01:53 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Cutting back the plug. (scorp508)

Thanks Scorp! When I get to the plug change (that's somewhere below my code 32 on THE LIST) I'll give it a try! :) Thanks for the picture. ~Juliet
Old 11-28-2001, 05:38 AM
merrick
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Why not to use Bosche +4's (black86targa)

I disagree about Bosche+4 that the other 3 electrodes foul out. If your fuel/air mix is right that shouldn't be a problem. Small aircraft with recipicating engines have been using this same style design for decades. However,I agree that the V-type would be more benefical.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:28 AM
Romeo Barrera
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Why not to use Bosche +4's (merrick)

No one said anything about them 'fouling out'. They probably are less prone to fouling, and they are probably more reliable, which is why that design is used in aircraft, but they aren't as efficient.
Old 11-28-2001, 03:56 PM
M2001
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Why not to use Bosche +4's (merrick)

Merrick,

I agree with you regarding the Platinum Plus 4's not fouling out. I have a set of these Bosche +4's in my car and they work great. I ran not one but two OLOA events with the same set of plugs. I even gapped the plugs to .045, something that some CF members said that just could not be done. Maybe the +4's is not the "ultimate" spark plug, but then again, I really don't want to wrench my car during long distance events. I don't want to worry about a spark plug that's in my motor that has a single electrode that was trimmed back either burning up of fouling or creating any other problems that a spark plug can give you. On both OLOA events that I have attended, other than changing the oil at about the mid point in the event, the car was rock solid reliable. And let me tell you, I drive my car in every possible weather condition imaginable, my car has never let me down, not once. I wonder if you could put that kind of confidence into a single electrode spark plug that's been trimmed back? I wouldn't.
Old 11-28-2001, 04:00 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually I've heard that platinums foul faster (smaller tip) If you run the car every day and it runs right, they'll last a very long time. Otherwise if there is an underlying problem and you foul normal plugs, the platinums will go faster, and cost more at the same time.

I've never heard of anybody having trouble with NGK v power's. That's what I use and I love them.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:31 PM
gbody5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Why not to use Bosche +4's (Nathan Plemons)

old hotrodders trick

AKA "Side Gap"

:hat
Old 11-29-2001, 02:40 AM
powerslide91
Instructor

Default Re: Why not to use Bosche +4's (Nathan Plemons)

Ok, I hate to draw out sparkplug discussions, but does someone have a more specific NGK part number for the copper cored NGK V grooves? I tried ordering a set through Summit today and all they could find was the Platinum version (TR55VX). I have seen it listed here as TR-55, but what is the rest of the NGK PN? My car is a '96 LT4 if it matters.

Slightly confused,
Jeff
Old 11-29-2001, 02:51 AM
RED90SIXLT1
Advanced

All this nonsense about spark plugs. There isnt anyone out there who can show any gains from one plug to another. If your fouling plugs or have oil build up you need to fix the problem, not try to cover it up with another plug. As far as cutting back and all the old wives tales...they are bogus. Ive been running Delco's for years and never had a problem. When someone can show some gain from another plug maybe I'll change.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:45 AM
Romeo Barrera
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Why not to use Bosche +4's (RED90SIXLT1)

:rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To Why not to use Bosche +4's

Quick Reply: Why not to use Bosche +4's